Aluminum

I'm currently looking at buying a Tortilla Maker/Cooker and I found one that is Aluminum. I know that there are some risks involved with certain cookware( Which is one of the reasons I hate cooking with my Teflon but I have to bite the bullet until I can afford a new pot ). So is Aluminum safe? Or do I need to continue my search?

While I'm sure that the "aluminum and Alzheimer's risk" will pop up here, I can tell you that it's untrue. I've studied it extensively after having a loved one diagnosed with dementia. I've also been to one of the annual international Alzheimer symposiums, where it was further debunked. While you will read about it from some usually good sources, it's more of an urban legend (and there is story that involves a party, a well-respected scientist and a cocktail napkin behind the original "report").

The real problem with aluminum is that it conducts heat unevenly and tends to burn things. It's a cheap metal so you see it often but it's better to purchase stainless steel if you can afford it. Well seasoned cast iron is also good.

I also prefer Stainless steel. I'd use cast iron except I've grown a phobia of it. Dumb but true.

Thanks for telling me about the falseness of the Alzheimer's and Aluminum. It does indeed sound untrue. It's unfortunate that there are a lot of false information about many things. It's quite a Mad World.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that there is no evidence linking aluminium ingestion to Alzheimers, I still personally steer clear of aluminium cookware though. After doing the test of boiling water in an aluminium pot and seeing how the water turns grey, I stopped straight away.

Aluminum is the new Thimerosal!! Ok maybe that's not relevant or even true.

You cant lose by going with glass or stainless steel! I heard alot about the aluminum aswell be on the safe side go with Glass or Stainless steel.

I would like to see a glass tortilla maker.

I don't know about a glass tortilla maker. How can glass even conduct heat?

I just bought a 7 piece cooking set at Wal-Mart. There was a lot of things to choose from. I almost got this one item but I was a little weary of it since I've never heard of a Cast Steel pan before. So I just went with Stainless Steel.