Vegan shaving

Ecomancer

I need a new razor but are any of the choices vegan? The Mach 3 has worked very well for me in the past but I've read Gillette does animal testing or at least used to. I also have to wonder what the ingredients of the moisture strip are. I used up the last of my Mach 3 cartridges a couple of months ago. So I have a beard and I'm in major need of a shave. I've tried electric and it doesn't work well for me. If I knew it was vegan and wasn't tested on animals I would probably get the Gillette Fusion. Has Gillette cleaned up their act? If not what are my vegan friendly options?

Edited by Ecomancer

For a razor I don't have much money to replace the one I got. It's a womens razor too( A pink sem--disposable ) I've been using it for months. It's so worn out.

I usually just apply a bit of Dr. Bronners to my face. sometimes just plain old water does the trick.

I need a new razor but are any of the choices vegan? The Mach 3 has worked very well for me in the past but I've read Gillette does animal testing or at least used to. I also have to wonder what the ingredients of the moisture strip are. I used up the last of my Mach 3 cartridges a couple of months ago. So I have a beard and I'm in major need of a shave. I've tried electric and it doesn't work well for me. If I knew it was vegan and wasn't tested on animals I would probably get the Gillette Fusion. Has Gillette cleaned up their act? If not what are my vegan friendly options?

I use an electric shaver, and find that if I shave with a dry beard, it doesn't work so well. However, as long as I shave immediately after showering so that my beard is still moist, it works fairly well. Still leaves a few stray whiskers here and there, especially under my nose, and I use a nose hair trimmer on those.

I use Bic disposables. I buy them in packs of 10 - or is it 20? - and use each one about a dozen times. I use them until they are almost pulling the hairs out rather than cutting them. I prefer it when I have used them a few times because then I don't cut myself. I use an ordinary bar of soap to lather my face. None of that special shaving soap for me.

If I find they are owned by some nasty parent company I might buy a cut throat. That link above mentions vegan strops for cut throats.

I also use an electric shaver, both on my face and my head.

If you get a good quality one they do a really good job. They are a little expensive at first, but when you add up the cost of razors and shaving cream I worked out, it is about a 1/4 of the cost of blade shaving.

If you want a standard razor, two main brands are what most everyone goes for in the way of cruelty-free shaving - Personna brand razors (nearly identical to Gilette products, but not tested on animals) and Hok2 brand razors, which while funky-looking, in my opinion aren't as good as the cheaper Personna brand ones.

For Personna, there's the men's Matrix3 with replaceable blades and women's Mystique razor (we're out at the time since our supplier stopped stocking them, but hope to have them back in a few weeks from now):

http://www.nexternal.com/vegane/Product2366

And the disposables:

http://www.nexternal.com/vegane/Product2379

For the Hok2 brand, here's a link to those:

http://www.nexternal.com/vegane/Product762

I've used the Hok2 and they work well, but cost-wise, I think that the Personna is a better buy.

Hope this helps!