the thrive diet

i've read most of the book during the last two days. skipping some parts and reading some parts twice. i just wanted to say that it's a great book. even if you're not that intrested in "thriving" you should just pick it up because of the awesome recepies. the ones i tried are freakin awesome. the roobios almond milk has totally changed my opinion on nut milks. yummy yummy in my tummy

I ate according to the thrive diet for about two weeks last year, and my recovery time between runs was phenomenal. Then someone tried to kill me with refined foods, and I fell off the wagon. But I still try to eat thrive-ish whenever I can.

The thrive diet is great for endurance athletes, but there is far too little protein for a decent bodybuilding plan IMO...

There is definitely a bit too much sugar and fat in it for me. I tried it for a while and it wasn't quite working too well. I do think this has a lot more to do with a person's own body than endurance vs. bodybuilding. High protein intake works wonders to help me thin out, but I know that's not the case with everyone.

Though I am taking a pea/hemp/rice protein powder modeled from The Thrive Diet and I think it's working extremely well. So I do think a lot of Brendan's concepts are sound, but I think the diet as a whole needs to be tailored to one's own body a bit.

Oh and he's pretty much anti-soy. Booooo!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read/bought the book. Should I?

Chris says there's too much fat/sugar, and Fallen Horse says not enough protein. What are the numbers like? I'm curious to know about it.

Thanks,

Gerard

P.S: I'm guessing the book talks only about vegan food? Is that correct?

I don't think you can really draw numbers of ratios, because the 'pyramid' he gives is fairly flexible. However, it is true that a lot of the recipes tend to be high carbohydrate and low protein. If you're into weight training rather than triathlons, simply adjust the macronutrient ratio.

I didn't see anything in the book that mentioned ratios of macronutrients. IMO the amount of nuts seemed a bit high, bringing up % of calories from fat significantly. The other big thing that bothered me was the excessive use of hemp. Hemp seeds, hemp oil, hemp protein, hemp flour (no idea what this actually is). Hemp hemp hemp.

Don't let me discourage you though I'm sure this stuff works well for some people.

Yeah a lot of the ingredients are expensive or hard to find. I haven't done so well on the Thrive Diet so far. You can adjust accordingly, though, or experiment and create your own recipes. I haven't gotten a chance to really try much of it since I went on that crappy trip and came back with the flu

I was pretty much by-the-book Thrive dieter when I started being a vegan, and I am very glad that it was my intro. I felt so fantastic eating this way that I was 100% convinced after a week that I would be vegan for life. I still eat pretty much according to the book, except for occasional vegan chinese food or soy-meatz. I love hemp foods of all kinds, and hemp remains my primary protein source. I buy Living Harvest and Manitoba Farms hemp products which are both reasonably priced in my area (New England). The book schooled me on some veggies and grains I didn't know too much about, and has a ton of great recipes.

I've never heard of it but i just googled it and i looked at the web page for it.

it doesnt look bad it looks to be ok and healthy at least but if your loosing weight

with the program your already on why switch to another? just finish untill you have

reached your goal And I've never heard of Thrive, but I have heard of Weight Watchers.

If your hoping to loose weight, I think that you should just exercise more and eat healthy.

Weight Watchers is garbage. Have you looked at the ingredients in the crap they sell?

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading Brendan's book, and I think he makes a lot of sense. I've definitely decided to incorporate a lot of the foods he suggests into my diet, and rethink how I approach my diet. I've definitely been in the "must consume as many calories as possible to support my training regimen" kind of dude, but I haven't felt my best for a long time now, so the idea of "net gain" foods rather than just high calorie foods is intriguing to me. I probably won't give up tofu and a few other staples, but I think even a progression more in the direction that he's urging is a good thing. He seems to outline his diet in a way that is more a set of principles that you can adapt and choose to which degree you follow, which I like, rather than most mainstream "diet" books which think that the exact same formula works for everyone.

We'll see how I feel after several weeks.

good for you. i think we come from the same "background".

if i understand brendans take on soy correctly it's that he isn't against it, he just feels that vegans in general consume it too much and therefore he doesn't feel the need to have recepies containing soy.

I tried the kidney bean pizza last week. It was AWESOME.

I'm gonna post pictures.

Mmmm yes. I liked the kidney bean pizza crust as well. The others didn't turn out as well.

I was eating these for lunch for a while a little over a year ago. The kidney bean crust, sundried tomato sauce, and cheese (was it macadamia or cashew based?) was my favorite combo. I used to make two at a time then reheat them in a toaster oven.

As I see it, Brendan suggests that we use soy and analogs as condiments rather than main courses.

I am trying to work some elements of the thrive diet into my daily diet but I find the concept of being able to really follow it to be overwhelming.

I would appreciate anyone with experience with it shaing their experiences, results and tips.

I don't mean to give you TMI , but I have a pretty frank question to ask. Is anyone else on the Thrive Diet experiencing particularly fragrant gas or bathroom smells/issues? I've been veg a long time, but went Vegan when I got Brendan's book three months ago. I *thought* that perhaps it was a detox effect of the dairy and refined foods I used to eat, but after three months it looks as though it's here to stay. Anyone else?

I don't mean to give you TMI , but I have a pretty frank question to ask. Is anyone else on the Thrive Diet experiencing particularly fragrant gas or bathroom smells/issues? I've been veg a long time, but went Vegan when I got Brendan's book three months ago. I *thought* that perhaps it was a detox effect of the dairy and refined foods I used to eat, but after three months it looks as though it's here to stay. Anyone else?

Are you eating much chlorella as he recommends? I hear that is usually the culprit.

good for you. i think we come from the same "background".

if i understand brendans take on soy correctly it's that he isn't against it, he just feels that vegans in general consume it too much and therefore he doesn't feel the need to have recepies containing soy.

i heard a bit of his talk at the veg fair this year, and ya he doesn't seem to be totally against soy, but not in favor of having soy burgers, tofu, soy ice cream, soy sausages on a regular basis.