the thrive diet

• 1 month later...
I didn't see anything in the book that mentioned ratios of macronutrients. IMO the amount of nuts seemed a bit high, bringing up % of calories from fat significantly. The other big thing that bothered me was the excessive use of hemp. Hemp seeds, hemp oil, hemp protein, hemp flour (no idea what this actually is). Hemp hemp hemp.

I agree about the hemp overload.

It does seem quite high in fat too, for instance the pizza bases call for a 1/4 cup of oil! That's 450-500 calories from that one ingredient alone. And then a tomato-based sauce for part of the topping adds another 3 tablespoons of hemp oil.

Weirdly, Dr Fuhrman gives the book an excellent review, despite the fact that elsewhere he recommends no more than one teaspoon of oil per day.

I didn't see anything in the book that mentioned ratios of macronutrients. IMO the amount of nuts seemed a bit high, bringing up % of calories from fat significantly. The other big thing that bothered me was the excessive use of hemp. Hemp seeds, hemp oil, hemp protein, hemp flour (no idea what this actually is). Hemp hemp hemp.

I agree about the hemp overload.

It does seem quite high in fat too, for instance the pizza bases call for a 1/4 cup of oil! That's 450-500 calories from that one ingredient alone. And then a tomato-based sauce for part of the topping adds another 3 tablespoons of hemp oil.

Weirdly, Dr Fuhrman gives the book an excellent review, despite the fact that elsewhere he recommends no more than one teaspoon of oil per day.

A couple things to bear in mind is that Brendan Brazier is a professional triathlete, and the thrive diet was originally developed as a diet for serious athletes, especially endurance athletes. This type of training calls for a LOT of calories. Personally I can't gain at all unless I'm eating tons of fat.

My impression is that he has adapted the diet to also market it as a "lose weight" diet, which it can be, but he subscribes to the theory that going ultra-low-fat is not necessarily a good idea if you want to lose weight, which I also agree with. You need to eat at least moderate amounts of the *right* fat rather than just cutting to virtually no fat at all, to lose weight in a healthy manner. Eating fat helps you burn fat, and your body needs essential fatty acids to be healthy. You can't starve your body of an essential macronutrient like fat and expect to remain healthy, nor will simply calorie-counting help you lose weight while remaining healthy (which he does an excellent job of explaining why, re: net-gain foods).