HELP PLEASE!!!

So I haven't been on this site for a while. I've been extremely busy...I just got engaged and my fiance and I are starting our own business. Anyway, the reason I am asking for help is because I've been dealing with some deprivation issues and I believe they're connected to my vegan diet. Obviously, I enjoy lifting weights and working out, so to me, eating clean goes hand in hand with that. Lately, however, I've been getting cravings for things like eggs, tuna, and of course chocolate. I've been denying myself, but the denial seems to rapidly turn in to bingeing on pretty much anything I can find in my pantry. I feel like there is not one minute of the day when I'm not hungry. I'm very conscious of my weight and watch my calorie intake, but I feel insatiable most of the time even though my calories are usually between 1300-1600 each day. I don't know if I'm even making sense, but I do know I'm not ready to throw in the towel on veganism yet. The first six months were relatively easy and now I just feel stuck. I guess I'm hoping for someone out there to relay their own story. Thanks in advance!

So I haven't been on this site for a while. I've been extremely busy...I just got engaged and my fiance and I are starting our own business. Anyway, the reason I am asking for help is because I've been dealing with some deprivation issues and I believe they're connected to my vegan diet. Obviously, I enjoy lifting weights and working out, so to me, eating clean goes hand in hand with that. Lately, however, I've been getting cravings for things like eggs, tuna, and of course chocolate. I've been denying myself, but the denial seems to rapidly turn in to bingeing on pretty much anything I can find in my pantry. I feel like there is not one minute of the day when I'm not hungry. I'm very conscious of my weight and watch my calorie intake, but I feel insatiable most of the time even though my calories are usually between 1300-1600 each day. I don't know if I'm even making sense, but I do know I'm not ready to throw in the towel on veganism yet. The first six months were relatively easy and now I just feel stuck. I guess I'm hoping for someone out there to relay their own story. Thanks in advance!

I never had a problem with veganism, as far I think I'm improving, I don't know any fake meat etc. , feel love for what you are eating, for the fruits, the veggies, everything, and thinkg about how ing is too eat that fish, or that egg and think about it whats does with your body, and with chocolate, you can eat cocoa etc. and there's chocolates that doesn't contain milk, you can get them if you are craving really badly

There are lots of dark chocolates that are vegan. High quality dark chocolate doesn't have anything but cocoa, cocoa butter (this is a vegetable fat from the cocoa pod), and sugar if it's sweetened (plus soy lecithin usually).

You say you enjoy lifting weights and working out - are you sure you're getting enough calories? 1300 for an active woman doesn't seem like much, so maybe your hunger is a sign that you need to be eating a bit more.

Now, all food is not equal. High-fiber foods in particular make you feel fuller. 200 calories worth of oatmeal are a lot more filling than 200 calories worth of dried fruit, for example. What types of things do you usually eat?

I would suggest focusing on low-fat starches, like rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, etc., the complex carbs and protein in them are very important for satiety. In fact, the potato was the clear winner in the Satiety Index study. Plus if it reduces binge eating, it may pay to increase your total kcal.

If I remember correctly from your log, you never had a terribly high intake of veggies. Even though they may not always seem satisfying on their own, they usually help kill cravings for less healthy foods. Don't eat so many things like Cliff bars and try to eat whole legumes in their place. The fiber and bulk in legumes will make you feel far more satisfied than the high level of simple sugars in those bars. And if you want an alternative even to rich vegan chocolate bars, you can always start using cocoa powder in some smoothies.

Might you be expecting?

Best thing (ever) for cravings is leafy greens. Blend them to make 'green smoothies' in order to get enough; you won't be able to eat enough via chewing to satisfy cravings. You may also add juiced greens, if you have a juicer; that'll give you an extra .

Additionally, I'd go with some satiating foods such as beans and soaked nuts and seeds; you can do this for a while only if you're worried about calories (if expecting, then don't worry ). Beans are very satisfiying when needing that 'full' factor that comes sometimes. Avocadoes are also good.

Do you take a DHA supplement? I would get some.

Might you be expecting?

I'm about 95% sure I'm not...I wish I could blame it on that!

Thanks to everyone else for their words of wisdom. Cubby, you're right about the processed foods. You're also right about the legumes. I eat a lot of fruit, so maybe I should start replacing a serving of fruit with some beans. Vegan Master, you're also right. I tend to limit my starch intake, but that could be the reason I'm never really full. Thanks again everyone!!!

" title="Applause" />

Congrats on your engagement and new business!

I don't have anything to say about cravings but I do know about binging. Like drinking water before you feel thirsty, I find it extremely helpful to eat before I'm (too) hungry. For a while I used to get home from work and binge on crap like chips. Now, when I get home, I down a really good fruit smoothie and I'm good to go until dinner. Seems if you sneak-attack good food into your body it won't get to the point of wanting to binge. It also helps to make sure you have healthy things around to snack on, I often ran out of the "good stuff" and ended up binging on crap. Not good.

Good luck!

Yeah, that actually works. I try to take a snack with me to work, otherwise when I get home I'm starving and want to eat junk food!! Hehehe.

I would also suggest getting a little more calories. Since you're active, 1300-1600 calories a day might not be enough for you.

I can eat 1300 calories in one meal.

Like everyone else said. Eat more often.

First think about your financial status. Consider how much you have to spend on food. Then make food your #1 priority. Don't ever skimp or or put a budget on your food if you don't need to.

I don't make a whole lot. I currently spend around 20-30 bucks a week/every two weeks on food. But if I could I'd spend 200 a week.

The more food you have/eat( Also the more wide variety you have ) the better you will feel.

I find that I only binge when I allow myself to get hungry. If you eat more than 3x per day and eat more calories (I would pass out on 1300-1600 calories!) then true hunger pangs should go away. Of course, psychological hunger pangs are a totally different thing.

When I went vegan, I read up on nutrition extensively so that I could be sure I wasn't missing any nutrients in my diet. OF course, I discovered that I was missing more as an omni than I am now! Keeping a food log and checking your intakes with a program such as nutritiondata.com can be a real eye opener.

Good luck!

I was trying desperately to lose weight at one point and restricted calories so much that I ended up feeling tired and irritable all the time. I never did lose weight. I finally gave up and stopped caring and 5 pounds fell off.

Marcina,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I've been so obsessed with losing 4 or 5 pounds lately and I thinks that's part of the reason I've been doubting my veganism so to speak. So I've decided to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm satisfied, stop tracking my calories so closely and just focus on putting good things in my body. If I'm 5 pounds heavier than I want to be for the rest of my life then so be it. At least I'm happy and I'm not wasting all my time and energy on obsessing.

Also, I might add that in addition to increasing calories, you could add a few concentrated sources of nutrients, like spirulina or chlorella. It's conceivable they have something your diet is lacking. Also it wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin.

When I went vegan, I read up on nutrition extensively so that I could be sure I wasn't missing any nutrients in my diet. OF course, I discovered that I was missing more as an omni than I am now!

Same here! I was a pretty healthy omni, but once I started reading about vegan nutrition, I realized how much I'd been missing. I probably ate collard greens a total of five times up to age 36. Now I have some in my fridge more often than not. Similar story for many other powerhouse foods. The wonderful thing is that the human body is both resilient and adaptable, and it will thrive when you give it the right fuel, even if that doesn't happen until your 30s, 40s, or beyond.

Same here! I was a pretty healthy omni, but once I started reading about vegan nutrition, I realized how much I'd been missing. I probably ate collard greens a total of five times up to age 36. Now I have some in my fridge more often than not. Similar story for many other powerhouse foods. The wonderful thing is that the human body is both resilient and adaptable, and it will thrive when you give it the right fuel, even if that doesn't happen until your 30s, 40s, or beyond.

Absolutely. "Better late than never!" The wonderful transformations people often post here really show you what a difference it can make, no matter what point in your life you're at when you make the switch.