W

Im Your Man

VancouverSun:

"George W. Bush gulping booze from a funnel. Sauntering into jail wearing a Yale sweatshirt. Dancing on a bar with a curvy blond. Driving on to a lawn with a lit cigarette in one hand and crashing into a garbage can on the way.

This is the U.S. president Oliver Stone wants you to know." see the trailer. While he's still the president, there's already a movie about him. I think this is a premiere, what it's gonna be after his presidency? There was even a movie about his assassination, Death of a President.

The movie about his assassination was more about the obvious ramifications of what would happen if he was killed. It wasn't a celebration (granted me and my friend were dancing around the room and rewound it several times when it finally happened)

ahah me too ! That's what we have to do.

Cool he's a human being.

Better than an affair while in the white house like bill clinton, if you ask me.

Human being eh? That's very questionable. There will be a celebration around the entire world when we see a real picture of his corpse!

As for an affair, do you really think that's uncommon? He just happened to be found out, big deal. Gettting good poontang has I'm sure always been one of the percs of being president.

Cool he's a human being.

Better than an affair while in the white house like bill clinton, if you ask me.

Torturing and murdering people is better than having an affair? Granted, with NAFTA, bombing Iraq, horrid environmental policies, etc., Clinton did some pretty horrible things in office (other than having an affair, which obviously was not a nice thing to do to his wife), too, but nothing quite on a par with launching all-out unprovoked wars lasting for several years with no end in sight, shredding the Constitution like so much toilet paper with policies like the Patriot Act, detaining people without charges and torturing them, etc. Yeah, he's a human being; so was Adolph Hitler.

I'm not wildly optimistic that the next President, whether it's McCain or Obama, will be much of an improvement and I don't plan to vote for either one, but it would be a bad day in hell if the next Chief Executive were even worse than Bush.

Bush really is a clown.He makes a complete mockery of politics, America & life on planet earth.

The guy is soooooo stupid.You can see it in his eyes.Thank god he doesnt have any actual power, you would all be living in cardboard boxes by now if he did.

People blame Bush for Iraq! Thats funny.The guy probably didnt even realise there were any countries outside America.The idea that he had the intelligence to see the oppurtunity for some free oil is a little misguided at best.He was too busy choking on pretzels while watching NFL.I would be amazed if he even dresses himself in the morning to be honest.

Bush really is a clown.He makes a complete mockery of politics, America & life on planet earth.

The guy is soooooo stupid.You can see it in his eyes.Thank god he doesnt have any actual power, you would all be living in cardboard boxes by now if he did.

People blame Bush for Iraq! Thats funny.The guy probably didnt even realise there were any countries outside America.The idea that he had the intelligence to see the oppurtunity for some free oil is a little misguided at best.He was too busy choking on pretzels while watching NFL.I would be amazed if he even dresses himself in the morning to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0Dle9V7FQ

I'm not trying to troll or anything, I dislike him as much as anyone else. But I think he acts dumber than he actually is to appeal to his unintelligent voter base.

My supervisor and I were discussing this. He was saying the exact same thing - that he's probably a bit brighter than he lets on. I agree. I mean, you can tell that the man really can't think on his feet - but I think he's not as completely useless as he seems.

I think what is going on in Iraq is getting worse than Vietnam. Almost no country ever attacked USA yet they managed to participate in almost every war.

I think the last time another country attacked the US was 1812, unless you count the Civil War. (Hawaii wasn't part of the US when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.) The US attacks other countries about every 3 or 4 years.

Not that I'm going to defend American militarism, but to say America has participated in "almost every war" suggests to me that you're not very familiar with global politics. The number of wars going on at any given moment in Africa alone is astounding. The Americans have their fingers in many pies, and while they have been involved in at least one war at almost any given moment in the past several decades, there's a lot more going on in the world than that. And yes, they may often have tangential connections through weapons sales and economic support, but I assume by "participate" that you mean directly.

Not that I'm going to defend American militarism, but to say America has participated in "almost every war" suggests to me that you're not very familiar with global politics. The number of wars going on at any given moment in Africa alone is astounding. The Americans have their fingers in many pies, and while they have been involved in at least one war at almost any given moment in the past several decades, there's a lot more going on in the world than that. And yes, they may often have tangential connections through weapons sales and economic support, but I assume by "participate" that you mean directly.

I don't see why you would assume "that you mean directly". There are a lot more ways to participate in war than sending front line bullet catchers. I doubt there has been a single war in the last century that U.S. has not played at least a minor role in and in many, many more than most people even realize, have played a major role. Supplying arms, training and cash are just as big a factor as sending troops.

Sometimes the US participates directly in a war by sending soldiers/missiles or droping bombs/napalm. Other times, it's just $$$ from the government or big companies like IBM selling typing machines to the nazis to help sorting the millions of Jews by their names and codes to dispatch them in the different death camps. More recently, during 1994 the CIA was sending machetes to Rwanda for the genocide. Afterwards, the CIA said it was to help them for the agriculture. LOL. Or CIA training Ben Laden and his assassins to fight against the enemy at that time; some years later the enemies are reversed.

I think Bush & intelligent in the same sentence risks a collapse of the fabric of space & time, so please dont do it again, it scares me a little.

The only reason he has not managed to wander into a road after his ball & get squashed is because of George senior & a great group of 'babysitters'

I don't see why you would assume "that you mean directly". There are a lot more ways to participate in war than sending front line bullet catchers. I doubt there has been a single war in the last century that U.S. has not played at least a minor role in and in many, many more than most people even realize, have played a major role. Supplying arms, training and cash are just as big a factor as sending troops.

I know how many pies america has its finger in, but again - the number of wars out there is astounding. And by directly participate, I didn't mean with troops. I meant with significant military funding, significant arms and munitions sales, military training, etc. This includes all the proxy wars during the Cold War era, among others of course. But there are a lot more wars that the U.S. did not play a significant role in. There are too many to possibly list, but a few examples from the last century include the Italo-Turkish war, the Greater Poland Uprising, Latvian War of Independence, Irish Civil War, Chaco War, Saudi-Yemeni War, Mau Mau Uprising, and Dhofar Rebellion. The U.S. had nothing to do with the Rwandan genocide. Heck, Russia just recently marched (er, rolled) into Georgia. Of course, the political response to this action included threats from the U.S. and other Western nations to expel Russia from organizations such as the WTO - we live in an era of truly globalized politics. But, still, the Georgian-Russian conflict itself did not involve U.S. participation.

The U.S. has a very, very large sphere of influence, but there are things that go on in the world that are between two countries (or factions within a country), where the U.S. is not directly participating.

Of course, USA can't participate in ALL the wars and not even the majority of them, like you say, because that would be impossible, there's too many. But they participate in ALL the wars they possibly can and each time there's some economic benefits, territory, political favors, for imports and all other reasons possible. The budget for US army was $276,700,000,000.00 $ in 2005 (source: CIA) Here's the list of the wars that US participated officially , there's other participations that involved perharps smaller troops, were secret, or involves other participation than with army force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_history_events Of course this is a link on wikipedia but I'm sure by searching longer we can find similar lists from more serious sources. Saying that the US had nothing to do with the Rwanda genocide... you're right, the US did nothing about it, even if the CIA knew about the genocide 3 months before it happened. Google "CIA Rwanda" and you'll have 2 million pages.

I mean look, its all about power isnt it...

The US is the same as any of the other countries in the world, they will get involved in conflicts where they stand to gain something (money, resources, political influence, etc), & will avoid wars where there is no gain.That is generally the rule although of course not always.

We should have stood up to China when it invaded Tibet.That was one instance that comes to mind where there was an unprovoked attack on a defenseless country, & did anyone step in? No.Apart from India who allowed the refugees into their country, where other neighbours had refused due to fear of the Chinese.

I mean look, its all about power isnt it...

The US is the same as any of the other countries in the world, they will get involved in conflicts where they stand to gain something (money, resources, political influence, etc), & will avoid wars where there is no gain.That is generally the rule although of course not always.

We should have stood up to China when it invaded Tibet.That was one instance that comes to mind where there was an unprovoked attack on a defenseless country, & did anyone step in? No.Apart from India who allowed the refugees into their country, where other neighbours had refused due to fear of the Chinese.

The reason we didn't help the Tibetans probably has something to do with the fact that we have borrowed most of our money from China to fund our "war on terror". If we did anything to piss them off they could easily fuck us over.

The reason we didn't help the Tibetans probably has something to do with the fact that we have borrowed most of our money from China to fund our "war on terror". If we did anything to piss them off they could easily fuck us over.

Where do you get this info from? I am intrigued..

I know how many pies america has its finger in, but again - the number of wars out there is astounding. And by directly participate, I didn't mean with troops. I meant with significant military funding, significant arms and munitions sales, military training, etc. This includes all the proxy wars during the Cold War era, among others of course. But there are a lot more wars that the U.S. did not play a significant role in. There are too many to possibly list, but a few examples from the last century include the Italo-Turkish war, the Greater Poland Uprising, Latvian War of Independence, Irish Civil War, Chaco War, Saudi-Yemeni War, Mau Mau Uprising, and Dhofar Rebellion. The U.S. had nothing to do with the Rwandan genocide. Heck, Russia just recently marched (er, rolled) into Georgia. Of course, the political response to this action included threats from the U.S. and other Western nations to expel Russia from organizations such as the WTO - we live in an era of truly globalized politics. But, still, the Georgian-Russian conflict itself did not involve U.S. participation.

The U.S. has a very, very large sphere of influence, but there are things that go on in the world that are between two countries (or factions within a country), where the U.S. is not directly participating.

I disagree only in that it's impossible to know how many wars the U.S. is involved in at any given time. I remember the "Iran-Contra Affair" back in the 80's, Oliver North was practically a neighbor of mine in Virginia. The U.S. was giving arms to Israel, which in itself isn't unusual, but the arms were for Israel to sell to Iranians! You heard me right, Israel was selling U.S. arms to Iran!!! And what were they doing with the money? Much of it was being secretly funneled in to the civil war in Nicaragua, as in South America. So, I ask how it is that anyone can know for sure what wars the U.S. is directly involved in at any given time?

• 1 month later...