Where does she get her protein?

Jason

Here I am sitting at a coffee shop surfing vegan bodybuilding

I over hear a couple of older women talking about another woman

Not only is that other woman vegan but she is raw.

Then I hear it.

"Where does she get her protein?"

I almost showed them Lean and Green's pictures

They did say how healthy and fit the raw vegan woman looked.

Perhaps you could have interjected, since you overheard it and they seemed receptive.

Since most people honestly don't know, if they are open to it, information is generally very well received.

So nice that they noticed how great she looked

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting. In all my years of being a vegan in mainland China and Hong Kong, I can't remember once hearing about the protein question. People have asked about deliciousness and balance or calcium, but never really protein.

I guess it just shows how a whole societies can get obsessed or culturally indoctinated in thinking in certain ways.

I'm surprised they even asked about calcium since their traditional diet is plant based. Dairy has been making its way into the orient, but it isn't a traditional food.

Very true. But there is the same type of corporate propaganda about calcium as there is in the US. A popular commercial that played for years featured an old man who, after taking calcium pills, was able to climb up five flights of stairs without any troubles! Calcium=energy and pep!

Dairy and milk are both starting to make it big in China as well.

When I was working in a Tim Horton in Montreal, the people who bought the most of Iced Cappucinos (coffee with cream and ton of sugar) and other dairies were the Chinese !! They were coming everyday to try it or to make it try to their friends, because they heard about it. It's strange because I was sure most Chinese were lactose intolerant... I guess not anymore.

Yesterday, I was at a barbecue with some of my classmates. Eventually, someone asked me if a vegan diet could be healthy. I told her "Actually, a properly balanced vegan diet is the healthiest" and she was genuinely shocked. I briefly talked about things like the vegan diet vs. lipitor study, how it is generally high-fiber, high-EFA, etc, etc. The father of the host, who himself is a physician, asked me about vegan sources of iron. He actually didn't know that oats, whole wheat, and legumes (I mentioned red lentils, kidney beans, and soy) were good sources of iron.

Protein also wasn't mentioned. I guess different people value different nutrients? heh.

I actually had low iron when I was still a meat eater. Since I went vegan my iron levels have improved.

I had a chat with my mom the other day and she told me that I have been allergic to dairy ever since I was a baby. The doctors just told her I would "grow out of it". I used to puke everytime I had milk. Isn't that nice?

It's interesting. In all my years of being a vegan in mainland China and Hong Kong, I can't remember once hearing about the protein question. People have asked about deliciousness and balance or calcium, but never really protein.

I guess it just shows how a whole societies can get obsessed or culturally indoctinated in thinking in certain ways.

Wow, that's fascinating. I've never thought about that before!

I have found through my studies and talkings with doctors about med school that physicians dont get taught poo about nutrition and balanced sources.

I agree. Besides, there is as much animal-agriculture propaganda at Medical Schools as there is everywhere else...

People here in the UK always ask me about protein.

I mention the fact that the cow that they are eating, got all of its protein on a vegan diet.

So much miseducation..

In peoples defense though, I didnt know you could body build on a vegan diet, thats why I ate eggs & fish.I thought that was the only place for protein too, until I came to this forum.