BowFlex?

Hi, I had one years ago and can tell you that they are NOT worth it. They won't make you cut - only adding muscle and/or losing fat will do that. If you have access to any type of gym then I would join one.

Good luck!

Very few of the weight machines at your typical gym are worth anything, I don't see how a bowflex would be. Your money would be better spent on a bench and a 300 lb olympic set.

Edit: That may have come across as being against gyms in general which I'm not at all. I just mean if those specialized machines aren't too great, an all-in-one home machine would only be worse. A gym membership is a good investment in yourself.

Edited by chrisjs

The only person I know who is thrilled with their bowflex is my grandfather. He needs to do back and shoulder exercises in particular to help with pain management. For him, it's great - he doesn't need to bend over to adjust the resistance, it doesn't take much space, etc. Obviously, he is in a different category than someone looking to bulk or cut...I think you should take DV's or chrijs's advice and either join a gym or get a bench and free weights if either of those options are feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the bowflex won't get you the body's of the guys in the commercial. This is the home gym I had for a while: http://www.trainersecrets.com/home_gym/weider/weider_pro_575.htm and it was pretty fantastic. I had to sell it for space constraints, but if you are dead set on working out at home, then that type is the way to go. This is no longer in production, but something along the lines. I was unable to get motivation in my house, and so I never made a huge deal of progress using it. Something about the fact that when I got to the gym, all I am doing is working out and nothing else really helped focus on lifting. Even though the cost of a gym for a year can be more than a home gym, it is WELL worth it.