Thinking about moving to Oregon

zinzen

So my wife and I are thinking about moving out west, and since a large percent of you fellow veg lovers are from this area I have a few questions.

1. What is the cost of living, apartments, food, taxes, ect.

2. Who has information on Oregons Massage Therapy laws and license policies.

3. What is the general availability of jobs in this feild, or in general.

4. What the heck is winter like there, cause it is horrible here in the Cleveland world.

5. One of the most important, does it kick ass there or what?

Tom

Well i've heard that portland can be very expensive, but you can always find good deals in even the most expensive cities to live in. Hood River is super beautiful and even though it gets pretty touristy, it isn't cheap or gaudy. I've only been to Oregon once but I love it. I may even consider living there eventually because the music scene in the pacific northwest area is actually pretty good.

Portland is def NOT expensive.

In a crappy area you can get a 2 bedroom for $550-$700

In a so so area you can get a 2 bedroom apt for $700-$900

In a good area 2 bedroom goes for $800-$1000

Great area $900-$1200 for a 2 bedroom.

Lotus would be the best one to ask about massage therapy laws.

Also studios and 1 bedrooms can be had for pretty darn cheap.

Portland is also one of my fav places to be.

The weather in the winter is Rain, rain and more rain. But its a pretty mild climate. Doesn't get too cold.

Average in the winter is upper 40's low 50's.

I love it here, moved here 3 years ago from Cali.

Oh and did I mention the food?

What about Apartment prices? Some people who would want to move to Portland would probably prefer an Apartment( Especially if there single )

xdarthveganx just said what they are.

Oh damn. I didn't catch that. Thanks.

The prices were for a two bedroom. So I'm sure( Hopefully ) that a one bedroom( Or a studio which would be what I'd prefer ) would be relatively cheaper.

I'm still weighing put my options of where I shall move once the time comes. Currently it's between Portland or the L.A. Area.

Pros:

Vegan food

Great farmers markets

Bike friendly

Pedestrian friendly (I've been one for 9 years)

Mostly good public transit

Many bars and local breweries...great for beer enthusiasts

Most strip clubs per capita!

Lovely weather...summer isn't too hot usually & winter is cold and rainy.

All gas stations are full service. Self serve is not allowed.

It's somewhat reasonable for rent depending on where you want to live. (Although, if I moved out of my apartment now and tried to move back in my rent would go up about $200)

No sales tax!

Cons:

Dating is abysmal, but you don't need to worry about that.

It's a bit small

High income tax

Smelly people

Flakiness. Seriously, I don't know why so many people here are that way. Stoned?

Overall, it's a pretty good place to live. I was reminded of that today as I strolled back from the farmers market and filled my fridge with much deliciousness. I recommend going for it!

Portland is def NOT expensive.

In a crappy area you can get a 2 bedroom for $550-$700

In a so so area you can get a 2 bedroom apt for $700-$900

In a good area 2 bedroom goes for $800-$1000

Great area $900-$1200 for a 2 bedroom.

Lotus would be the best one to ask about massage therapy laws.

Also studios and 1 bedrooms can be had for pretty darn cheap.

Wow, cheaper than Chicago is! Guess things have changed. I remember just a few years ago Portland was wayyy more expensive than Chicago!

What about Apartment prices? Some people who would want to move to Portland would probably prefer an Apartment( Especially if there single )

xdarthveganx just said what they are.

Oh damn. I didn't catch that. Thanks.

The prices were for a two bedroom. So I'm sure( Hopefully ) that a one bedroom( Or a studio which would be what I'd prefer ) would be relatively cheaper.

I'm still weighing put my options of where I shall move once the time comes. Currently it's between Portland or the L.A. Area.

I personally would never move to L.A. even if someone paid me to. Just not my cup of tea. It's fun to visit though, that's for sure!

no one has any answers for me? lame

The forum is always quieter on the weekends

We'll continue to get more PDX info to you soon. PDX is a great place to live and we have an awesome growing veg community as well!

All the best....maybe see you and train with you soon!

thank you all very much, and please keep it up, the more info the better.

and rob arnt you a graduate of massage scholl in this state, any info on the laws man, i see you guys need 500 hours and a written and practical.

and i know the state excepts the national cert, i just need specifics, like availability of oppertunities in this feild

Hey buddy,

I was never licensed in Oregon. I went to school in Utah, worked in Arizona and the Caribbean. lotus on the forum just finished massage school in Oregon about a year ago and has been working in Portland since. She is a good friend of mine so I could see if she could let you know the details...or try sending her a pm. She rocks!

I'm off to bed but I'll catch up with Oregon info soon

Wow, cheaper than Chicago is! Guess things have changed. I remember just a few years ago Portland was wayyy more expensive than Chicago!

Not to argue, but this just isn't true. 2 years ago it was cheaper than it is today.

My 2 bedroom in the burbs 2 1/2 years ago was $690. It was a brand new building. I saw plenty of 2 bedrooms during that time in the burbs for $475-$525

Obviously in the city is more, but the prices were def lower 2 years ago then they are today.

There are some neighborhoods that are higher than the prices I listed but not many. Particularly the pearl district is higher, but seeing as I don't know anyone under 30 that would actually want to live there I didn't bother listing that. I live in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Portland (especially for vegans) and 2 bedrooms are easily found between $900 and $1300.

Not to argue, but this just isn't true. 2 years ago it was cheaper than it is today.

My 2 bedroom in the burbs 2 1/2 years ago was $690. It was a brand new building. I saw plenty of 2 bedrooms during that time in the burbs for $475-$525

Obviously in the city is more, but the prices were def lower 2 years ago then they are today.

There are some neighborhoods that are higher than the prices I listed but not many. Particularly the pearl district is higher, but seeing as I don't know anyone under 30 that would actually want to live there I didn't bother listing that. I live in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Portland (especially for vegans) and 2 bedrooms are easily found between $900 and $1300.

I'm sure the prices were lower, but comparatively it was up there with Chicago. I'd say that it seems to be pretty reasonable compared to Chicago nowadays.

A good two bed in a good neighborhood in Chicago can get up to be 1600 bucks. MORE if you're downtown unless you have a deal with a college. I'd probably live in the city if I could find a studio for as cheap as I bet it can get in Portland.

Pros:

[...]

Cons:

Dating is abysmal, but you don't need to worry about that.

[...]

Smelly people

Flakiness. Seriously, I don't know why so many people here are that way. Stoned?

[...]

I've seen some flakiness in my time. And I've ridden the bus so I know bout the folks who aren't so fresh. But I'm really curious about your take on the dating... abysmal?