Edwards admits to extramarital affair

Zack

So now John Edwards and John McCain have something in common, they both cheated on their wives.

Really, what bothers me most about this is that now Elizabeth Edwards, who is one of the most courageous, smart and beautiful women in public life, is going to be dealing with this while fighting her breast cancer. That breaks my heart.

I think we as a culture just need to grow up and acknowledge that long term monogamy among humans is the rare exception and not the norm.
Polyamory, yes or no?

Yes in the short-term, just like monogamy. I don't see many long term examples of either, life and the people living it changes regularly, and the pace of change only increases in the modern world. Even in what appear to be long term cases of monogamy such as 40 or 60 year marriages, I'm guessing a large percentage were not monogamous that entire time.

I'd certainly agree that many people find it hard to be monogamous, especially men. I also think it makes sense that if someone doesn't actually want monogamy, then they shouldn't aim for it. I think a lot of people want many sexual partners, but feel pressured into thinking that they ultimately need to just have 1 partner in the end. That's not true, they don't need to. But they need to be honest with themselves and their partner(s) before any of that will work out successfully. If you're not honest, and if you enter a relationship claiming that you want monogamy, and then you go with someone else, that's breaking that promise that you made with your partner and that's wrong. But if you entered the relationship stating that you want multiple partners, then it's not wrong since your partner can decide what they think about that.

I'd certainly agree that many people find it hard to be monogamous, especially men. I also think it makes sense that if someone doesn't actually want monogamy, then they shouldn't aim for it. I think a lot of people want many sexual partners, but feel pressured into thinking that they ultimately need to just have 1 partner in the end. That's not true, they don't need to. But they need to be honest with themselves and their partner(s) before any of that will work out successfully. If you're not honest, and if you enter a relationship claiming that you want monogamy, and then you go with someone else, that's breaking that promise that you made with your partner and that's wrong. But if you entered the relationship stating that you want multiple partners, then it's not wrong since your partner can decide what they think about that.

I agree completely Richard. One of the things wrong with american politics is that it is still very prudish and old fashioned. Even being divorced is seen as a negative when running for office, pretty much anyone running for president is expected to be in a long term monogamous marriage. Does anyone really think Bill and Hillary Clinton are in love? Or monogamous? They live in different states! They are married and trying to present a picture of post-Monica Lewinsky monogamy so that Hillary could run for president. It's rediculous. As for John Edwards, his wife has been battling cancer and off and on in chemotherapy for years. I'm guessing the sex dried up a long time ago. Even the most commited partner can break down when trying to supress the sex urge indefinitely, especially when there is no end in sight and an open opportunity presents itself.

I agree completely Richard. One of the things wrong with american politics is that it is still very prudish and old fashioned. Even being divorced is seen as a negative when running for office, pretty much anyone running for president is expected to be in a long term monogamous marriage.
I agree with Michael about American politics. We are conservative. A single atheist would find it difficult to get elected President in the US. The President of Chile is a seperated female agnostic.

I don't understand what the big deal is?

Are people who are fucking worse leaders? Is there a correlation with fucking and handling a budget badly?

If a presidential candidate had a solution for sustainable living in the 21 century, I'd vote for him even if he were covered in semen wearing nothing but a butt plug.

A presidential elective should never cheat. If they were to cheat on there wives then what would be stopping them from cheating on our country?
Pink where's the logic in your question. Martin Luther King and JFK cheated on their wives and they were two of the most influencial leaders in world history.