Growing Facial Hair

Dr. Pink

How to grow Facial Hair Properly. That is what I'd like to know.

I think I remember hearing from( I think it was my Dad ) that the best way to grow Facial Hair is to keep shaving it when it gets to a certain length. Then if you keep it up it will start to grow out faster. ( I'm trying to one day achieve a 5 o'clock shadow.

Then I heard from another source that the best way to do it is to just not shave at all and let it grow out.

What do you all think?

Eat lots of pasta like my boyfriend does

I can definentally do that lol. I LOVE PASTA.

I just bought like 10 bags of it at Safeway( Organic O Brand ) I would have bought more but I only had 30 bucks to spend.

How much Pasta does your Boyfriend eat? I could do with at least 3-1 pound bags per day.

Michael is that you? Awesome beard man

That might be a little too fluffy for me though

Something like this would better suite me.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/corazon/20040318/18/1564264027.jpg

Rough and Rugged

EDIT. Michael I just realized. You kinda look like Richard Dryfuss.

Yeah man, no trick to growing facial hair. Just let it go and it will either grow or not, it's pretty much all genetic.

Maybe someday if you're lucky you can even look like this.

I see your beard and raise you...

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v117/161/55/48703522/n48703522_30603280_6740.jpg

Me with Magnus and my buddy Jim @ the Chicago diner.

That was last summer. My beard is almost that massive again. I call it my "fuck you i'm single and not trimming this mother-fucker and being highly ironic because it's summer and it's hot and itchy" beard.

I have really dark, coarse and thick facial hair so I keep a permanent "5 o'clock shadow" similar to old George because I hate shaving with a razor and shaving cream. I just use a beard trimmer. It suits me better and it's less of a hassle, less risk of ingrown hairs, shaving rash etc..

And no, shaving more won't make the hair grow faster or thicker. It's just an illusion because the small amount of hair growth on a clean shaven face is much more noticeable than the same amount of growth if you already have a beard.

I've heard from lots of people that shaving makes hairs come back thicker - not sure about it coming back quicker or longer though. Women who shave their legs insist that if they didn't shave their legs, then their hair would be really thick and spiky and unpleasant. However, women who have never shaved their legs don't have spiky and unpleasant hair, the hair on their legs is the same as the hair on their arms, which is generally barely noticeable.

So I imagine the same thing might be true of facial hair, if indeed it is true at all. My facial hair is a pain the ass / face. I shave quite a lot and it's not fluffy or bushy at all, instead it's like little wires coming out of my face, completely different to other areas of my body that I don't shave, legs, pubic hair and armpit hair, which aren't unpleasant at all.

I have the permanent George Michael growth thing going on - basically, I let it grow for about 3 weeks, trim it down to about a week's worth of short growth, and repeat as necessary. I'm too lazy to shave daily, but once I get to about 3 weeks deep, that crap gets itchy as hell and I have to trim it. I know, eventually it stops itching if you wait it out, but I'm not that patient.

Though, if you run into me at a tradeshow or event somewhere, you'll probably catch me with my rare clean-shaven appearance, which I only bring out for special occasions.

I was able to grow a full face of hair by about age 15, so I've had to contend with that for just under 2 decades. Never really let the beard go more than an inch, but I did have some pretty wicked chops down to my chin back in my senior year of high school.

**Edit** Picture added for verification of normal stubble, though it's slightly less than usual since trimming day just happend to be last Friday. The tattered tank top and shoulder stretch marks come as a free bonus.

http://www.veganessentials.com/liftingpics/Beard.jpg

And, Dr. Pink, just give it time. Once you hit your 30s, you'll start getting hair in all the places you don't want in addition to possibly having a fuller beard, so eventually you'll probably have more than you'll care for. It's especially fun when your chest hair starts creeping up your neck, and as has happened with a few guys I know, a once-smooth back will eventually get so furry to where you could be mistaken for a gorilla from the rear Thankfully, I've dodged that bullet....so far.

Yeah man, no trick to growing facial hair. Just let it go and it will either grow or not, it's pretty much all genetic.

Maybe someday if you're lucky you can even look like this.

I see your beard and raise you...

Me with Magnus and my buddy Jim @ the Chicago diner.

That was last summer. My beard is almost that massive again. I call it my "fuck you i'm single and not trimming this mother-fucker and being highly ironic because it's summer and it's hot and itchy" beard.

Aye, that is one fine beard mate! The one in my pic was early last summer, it got quite a bit longer but the only pic I have needs to be scanned as it was taken by a non-digital relative. My beard this summer is the same cut as yours, but about the length your buddy Jim is sporting in the background there.

Yeah, my buddy Jim has a pretty serious girlfriend.

And she's Republican. Well more libertarian now(and not in the european sense of the word) but I still terrorize her with my ideals.

She's cool though.

Enough of that! More beards!

I love the cut I have in the picture and right now. Neck beards ftw!

• 14 years later...

In the first picture the beard looks really unkempt, sorry. I think that just grow it is not enough. My husband also thinks that if you read about Mens Haircuts https://glaminati.com/best-mens-haircuts/ then it will be much easider for you to keep yoiur overall look balanced. Not just some haircut and a busy beard.

Edited by civilconstipation