Should Vegan actors stay Vegan in their roles?

RAINRA

I often will see movies where Vegan or Vegetarian actors will say in their movie. "Hey waitress, can I order a burger?"

Should we just look at it like it is a just a movie? Vegeterian Christian Bale throwing the dogs in the Dark Knight Movie?

Should actors ask to change the script? Does it counter act with their image as animal activists?

Or for vegan actors wearing leather in the film?

If it was me, I imagine I would choose not to do anything which is actually non-vegan. But to act out something non-vegan is different. I'd say "Can I have a burger". But I wouldn't eat a real burger. If they wanted me to be in a scene where I was eating a burger, I'd obviously insist on it being a vegan burger. Same with wearing leather. There would be a lot of problems I imagine! But I wouldn't have a problem acting out a non-vegan role.

Well many cases it won't be a burger, I would have heard order of shrimp or steak.

My guess is the corporations have the ultimate say. Even if the actor does or does not want to keep their role Vegan. That is just my guess.

I went shopping for new shoes. I bought Vegan Vans, geoff rowley model. Which he chose a vegan design. Well now they have been released with leather and suede. Some models of his are still Vegan but I came to find out that the Corporate Van owners ignored what is vegan and thought it would be good to add leather to the design. Dumb ignorant fools.

There is also to much animal abuse in movies just all together. Hollywood loves to throw in their comedies specially some animal getting beat up, run over or thrown around.

Still I think if a Vegan actor orders ribs in a movie everyone knows they don't mean moc meats. I think it contradicts what they stand for.

No, what I mean is, my character says "I would like a burger" and in the fictional world of the film, my character is brought a real burger, and the character eats it. But in reality, that burger is soy. That's what I would be happy with. Portraying a character in a film is not the same as promoting something. I mean, I'd play someone who cuts people's heads off or shoots people - but so long as they use props and stunt men, that's fine. If I was asked to actually cut off someone's head, or shoot someone for real, then I'd say no obviously. Pretending that a soy burger is a beefburger is like that to me, there's no problem.

I wouldn't ask the film-makers to make the character vegan, since that doesn't make any sense, although it would be cool to see vegan characters in a film of course.

right on yeah it would be cool to see more vegan actors.

Yeah I know what you mean eating a burger and actually just holding it is not the same. I agree. Just it seems that by playing a character that pertends that he is eating a real burger is sending the message that everyone eats this it is normal it is ok.

I mean cutting heads off example makes a good point ... which is true just because you play a violent character does not mean your violent in person... but your still showing that violence is cool. See where I am coming from. Specially if your a big name actor and people admire that actor and want to be like that actor. As many people were inspired by spartans in 300 mainly because of their fit look which luckily in that case it was a positive influence. I do see that stallone in Rambo was taking growth hormone to get ripped. Some kids may think growth hormone is the way to being fit.

Movies influence people that is for sure. So I say shouldn't actors push the vegan message more in their roles ?

I wouldn't hold a real burger even. I would hold a soy burger. I don't care if in the script it is a real burger, and to the audience they think it is a real burger; so long as in reality it isn't real then that's all that matters.

In terms of promoting it, it depends on how it is portrayed. There are some roles I might not like to play if they do promote certain things. If the eating of the burger was being shown as a positive thing, then I would most likely not want to play the part. Similarly, if violence was really being promoted in the film, I would not want to take part in it.

It's actually happened before. Anyone here seen the movie,"The Station Agent" ?. In the movie one of the actors http://thestationagent.com/peter-dinklage6.jpg. His character is eating steak at a table. In real life that was soy steak because Finbar Mcbride is a Vegetarian.

Joaqin Phoenix Will refuse to wear anything Animal Related.

I agree with Richard. I don't see anything wrong with Vegan Actors playing Non-Vegan roles. There actors. It's called acting. It's the same as a Straight actor playing a Gay Character. Nothing wrong with that. Because it's acting.

And I am sure the dog in Dark Night is fine

I went shopping for new shoes. I bought Vegan Vans, geoff rowley model. Which he chose a vegan design. Well now they have been released with leather and suede. Some models of his are still Vegan but I came to find out that the Corporate Van owners ignored what is vegan and thought it would be good to add leather to the design. Dumb ignorant fools.

Just a bit off topic, but Geoff Rowley has been referred to as a "Pro-hunting vegan" in magazine articles (whatever the hell that means). If the guy seems to think that it's acceptable to shoot animals for sport, then I'm not surprised at all if he didn't put up a big fuss about some of his shoe models being made with leather. If you want skate shoes that aren't from someone who has sold out their ideals, stick to some Templetons by Emerica. I can safely say that he's not changing his standards any time soon

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that he has a ranch somewhere out west in the USA and believes that hunting is acceptable, so I don't even know if he still calls himself vegan or not. Oh well, seems like almost ever vegan pro skateboarder falls off at some point, Ed Templeton being just about the only one I've heard who is in it for the long haul.

a pro-hunting vegan? unacceptable. and disgusting. just.... deplorable.

as far as the acting thing is concerned, it's acting...... as long as you're not being asked to cross the boundaries of your own ethics (ie: actually bite into a burger), then I don't see the big deal.

but I agree, more 'mainstream' vegans in the media would be a great thing.

• 4 weeks later...