Bigz's Fruitarian/Workout Progress Pics/update

Bigbwii

Detox, is an interesting idea that is thrown about alot by new age people.

It is applicable to those who eat crap processed food.Those of us who eat healthy vegan diets are probably not in any severe need of detoxing.Of course we will all have toxins in our body, but that is always going to be the case in a world that uses chemicals casually.

Detoxing & fasting are also thrown about by new age people, quoting the idea that it can help 'spiritually', basing this assumption, mainly on Hindu & Buddhist practices.

This is however incorrect.Good diet is key to spiritual enlightenment.

At no moment during his career did Shakyamuni Buddha preach fasting. There is no Buddhist Scripture (sutra) in which fasting is recommended.

http://www.purifymind.com/BuddhatFast.htm

So from a scientific, & spiritual perspective, fasting & eating small diets is not recommended.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get back to the pics in the first post:

You look absolutely stunning! I bet it's impossible to maintain a body like that for a long time with 2 cups of juice per day (since it's against the laws of physics) but at least for now you're looking GREAT!

I think a juice fast may be a good idea if you want to lose weight but it's obviously not meant to be a way to bulk. If people listen to their body they won't get serious illnesses. If you lose weight (and don't want to), take more calories. Simple as that... so I don't really see that telling what you have been eating is a serious threat to beginners.

So is He just doing like Fruit Juice from a juicer? or blended up fruits? I think it would be crazy to live on just fruit juice without the pulp and the extra's for a extended period of time. Do that for a a couple years and you won't have teeth and will weigh about 75 pounds. A least you'll be spirtual lol and maybe have only like 5 years left detoxing. Your not fully detoxed untill you no longer have teeth and your a full diabetic.

The sugar level in blood stays normal after eating fruits and don't cause higher insulin. It's people who don't eat fruits who are diabetic.

The sugar level in blood stays normal after eating fruits and don't cause higher insulin. It's people who don't eat fruits who are diabetic]

Is that true if you eat say 5 fruits in one hit.Like I do with my smoothies?

I hope so because I dont want to be diabetic!

you'll never be diabetic because of 5 fruits in one shot, even doing this 3x/day each day. Bread and pastas made of refined flour are far more risky. You need to avoid foods with GI over 50-55. Based on glucose chosen as the reference (100), maltose being even higher :110. All fruits (except banana and dried fruits) are under 50. http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

Is that true if you eat say 5 fruits in one hit.Like I do with my smoothies?

I hope so because I dont want to be diabetic!

DaN, I'm Your Man is right. The key is that most fruit have a high proportion of fructose, not glucose. Fructose is processed differently than glucose by the body and doesn't directly induce insulin production the way glucose does. While it varies from fruit to fruit, and some do contain significant amounts of starches (which are glucose polymers), much of the sweetness and "simple sugar" in fruit is fructose, so getting 20g of sugar from a fruit is very different than getting 20g of sugar from, say, a muffin.

Hey Bigwii, sorry for making some jokes. I hate when people are critical of my diet or how they think I'm "too thin". If you are happy on your fruit juice diet that's all that matters.

Hey man don't worry, I'm not offended, it's a shame though that raw foodists, etc cannot come to their own section without being made fun of.

B

I bet it's impossible to maintain a body like that for a long time with 2 cups of juice per day (since it's against the laws of physics)

And yet he claims he's been doing it for years...

Hey Zack, thanks man...I'm flattered that you feel the need to spend time trying to shoot me down at every opportunity, as I've always said to you, I see it as a huge compliment.

Man...you act like you know me so well...and I really wonder how much you actually know about the raw lifestyle, yet you feel you have the right to run your mouth off about me and the raw lifestyle, just remember, when you point your finger at someone, there's always three fingers pointing back at you.

I would hope that if you actually knew me that you would have more respect for what I've been through and what I've overcome/achieved. You took one phase of my developement and tried to make it the some total of who I am...sorry buddy...ain't gonna happen, ha,ha!

As a Fruitarian when I first started out I was juicing fruits from day one, even when nobody wanted to know anything about Fruitarianism or before they started calling juicing "Juice feasting".....fresh cut oranges used to be my biggest staple and trust me, back then I was on a lot more than 2 cups of juice, but you wouldn't know that would you. I got a lot of crap because back then nobody believed anybody could be a long term Fruitarian and still be fit, now I have the fitness levels physique that anybody would be proud of, over the years I've worked through a lot of highs and lows and I've been back and forth and through a lot of changes and that was all a part of the transitioning process but I've come through it having learnt so much from those experiences and changes and because of these experiences I've been able to help many, many others in the process that have been in the same situation with their detox/transitioning process and with that I'm extremely blessed to be a part of helping build people up so they can move on with their journey.

I'm not expecting you or anybody else to suddenly understand what I'm talking about because what I'm doing goes against so a lot of what is the norm, I also think as long as I'm doing well your going to be there hating and I'm cool with that because that will just push me to be an even better example/move on to greater things and whatever you say or think about me over the internet ain't squat because in the real world I'm still going to be content in the knowledge that I'm being true to myself, I'm still going to have a physique that most guys would want, I'm still going to be having a blast with my training/achieving goals and most importantly I'm still going to be lifting people up instead of putting them down....and Zack, with everything you've wrote about me in the past I've not put you down once, after all, I've never met you in person and I'm not an internet warrior.

So on that note, you be good, take care and keep hating because my next set of pics are smokin!!!

B

Sylvester Stallone used to eat 200 calories a day when he was training for the rocky/rambo movies. I think he ate 2 pieces of burnt toast and just drank coffee all day to give him energy.

So you can build muscle and stay fit on stupidly low calorie diets, its just not the best idea.

Hey Bigbwii!

I am very motivated because of you and other fruitarian guys, so keep it up!

I started fruitarianism for 3 weeks now, and I like it, but I can feel the changes in lot ways, in good and in bad also, but i am new in this so it is normal i guess.

Keep posting pictures!

Sylvester Stallone used to eat 200 calories a day when he was training for the rocky/rambo movies. I think he ate 2 pieces of burnt toast and just drank coffee all day to give him energy.

So you can build muscle and stay fit on stupidly low calorie diets, its just not the best idea.

He didn't build on 200 calories a day he was lifting to keep as much of the muscle as possible while getting extremely shredded. He allso says in recent interviews that if he had to do it all over he would have been much more smart and healthy with his diet to get lean. You must at least get a little more than your resting daily metabalism to gain. you can't gain on a deficit of calories it's impossible i don't care what diet your own. everyone has different needs but on average a man of 170 pound of lean mass would need 1,700 calories just to maintain strength and size. that's if your not buring extra calories from activity. if your active and lifting hard a 170 pounder would need probably need around 3k to grow.

When making Rocky III, Sly would begin the day with a two mile jog, then go straight into 18 rounds of sparring, 2 hours of weightlifting and jumping rope. After all this, he would take a nap in the afternoon, then go running again! He would finish the day with a swim. On this film he made himself even leaner and smaller to enhance the ‘David & Goliath’ imagery. To get this effect Stallone dropped his body weight to a mere 155 lbs, with a diet of 10 eggwhites and a burnt piece of toast once a day, and a piece of fruit every third day. Although this diet left him weak and dizzy, he then built his muscle mass up ounce by ounce until he was up to about 175.

Yes sorry my mistake. From that it seems like he only used that diet whilst cutting.

Hey man don't worry, I'm not offended, it's a shame though that raw foodists, etc cannot come to their own section without being made fun of.

B

I think that this statement says it all. We have a vegan bodybuilding & fitness forum with a raw section that has become controversial many times since its inception. In an attempt to include everyone and make everyone feel welcome what we've managed to do is to make some members appear defensive and some appear offensive (and no, that's not just those who aren't 100% raw). There are raw members on this forum whom I've met and whom I like very much, so this is not a personal issue with any members.

I do not understand a section on a forum where some members expect to post whatever they like, with no input from other members because they have their own section. When there was a women's section we certainly accepted contributions from men. If certain women were being negative towards men or were stating things that were just not true (regardless of how passionate they might have been about their opinion) - it wasn't expected that only women could post a response. Yet we now have a section where it's expected (by some members) that anything goes and if you're not a follower of raw foods/fruitarianism/just say no to B12 supplements/homeopathic medicine, well you can just keep your thoughts to yourself. Because we're not REALLY including everyone on this forum. And that's okay if that's the case, but then I think it's time for a new forum. With so many computer savvy people here, I'm sure that someone could figure out a way to start a Raw Fitness Forum.

My suggestion is not meant as a rejection of raw foodists on this forum, but rather as a preservation of this forum. There have been too many heated debates and lost members over this issue, so I cannot see a downside to dropping the raw section from this forum and starting a new forum. And before anyone suggests that perhaps you should need a special password to join the raw section or there should be a disclaimer for that section - we'll that's just an advertisement that it's a potentially problematic section.

I know that my suggestion will make some people angry. That is not my intent. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep this forum cohesive and strong, especially considering that it is being advertised more heavily and there has been a recent influx of new members.

Robert, Moderators, Others?

I think if people would be respectful in how they ask questions, it would be very different. I think raw foodists are happy to answer questions, but what they're not happy with is being ridiculed, and I can understand that. How do people expect others to respond to insults / accusations / sarcasm? It won't end in a peaceful or positive way.

By not having a raw section it wouldn't stop people talking about raw food. You wouldn't get all raw foodists to leave the forum, they would still post here and have the same beliefs, and they would come across in other parts of the forum. So I don't think it would attain the goal you're describing to get rid of this section.

If people are worried about misinformation, that someone will visit this site, read something which is incorrect and then follow that advice; all you need to do is reply with the information that you feel proves it wrong. Then the person reading the forum can read both sides and decide for themself. Once you have put the information out there, I don't see the need for an attack or abuse, if your goal is to make sure the correct information is out there.

I don't feel educated enough to say "Raw foodism shouldn't be discussed on this forum because it doesn't have any value". I am uneducated on the subject, so I don't have much of an opinion on it, so my input probably doesn't have much value at all really.

I am certainly not suggesting that the goal is to get raw foodists to leave this forum. And I'm not suggesting that people should stop talking about raw food. That was NOT the intent of my suggestion. The problem, IMO, is not that raw foodists post here but that we have a section that many times divides members. It's the idea that some members can post in that section and others are not welcome to post there that bothers me.

It is not sarcasm, insults or accusations that I'm addressing since that can happen in any section. It's the division between members that the existence of this section has caused time and again. I am merely looking for a way to make the forum more cohesive rather than divided.

It's not the fact that the section exists that make the division, it's the way people look at it, (like different races exists, but we learned to decrease the notion of racism) otherwise there would be a problem with all sections (sectionism ? lol) I don't see any problem with the raw food section, nor any other sections, because I don't even look at the title of the section, I just read and write posts that's all. If we delete the raw food section, some people are still gonna be against raw foodism and will tell it it the nutrition section (cooked and raw combined).

I think that removing the section wouldn't avoid the conflict, it could even add to it, since the theories that people object to so strongly would be present in the health/nutrition section, and so people would be more likely to clash heads. At least this way, it's possible for people to completely avoid raw foodism if they feel that strongly

He didn't build on 200 calories a day he was lifting to keep as much of the muscle as possible while getting extremely shredded. He allso says in recent interviews that if he had to do it all over he would have been much more smart and healthy with his diet to get lean. You must at least get a little more than your resting daily metabalism to gain. you can't gain on a deficit of calories it's impossible i don't care what diet your own. everyone has different needs but on average a man of 170 pound of lean mass would need 1,700 calories just to maintain strength and size. that's if your not buring extra calories from activity. if your active and lifting hard a 170 pounder would need probably need around 3k to grow.

But you know that we can grow new muscles while losing bodyfat (therefore, calorie deficit), right ? It's been proven by the army of people who use bodybuilding as a way to lose weight. And also by some of the actors who participated in the movie "300".

Richard, it's not about avoiding conflict. In other areas of this board if someone claims something we can make them back it up. This is not welcomed in this part of the forum and it's not good. This forum is supposed to be an epitome of facts about plant-based diet in conjuncture with bodybuilding and fitness. Since this combination is rather new there will of course be testing and discussions about results and causations between different approaches. These discussions have to take place IMO and they are apparently not welcomed in the raw forum.

It's all about saving the forums credibility. I think something needs to be done. I'm with DV on this one.

Richard, it's not about avoiding conflict. In other areas of this board if someone claims something we can make them back it up. This is not welcomed in this part of the forum and it's not good. This forum is supposed to be an epitome of facts about plant-based diet in conjuncture with bodybuilding and fitness. Since this combination is rather new there will of course be testing and discussions about results and causations between different approaches. These discussions have to take place IMO and they are apparently not welcomed in the raw forum.

It's all about saving the forums credibility. I think something needs to be done. I'm with DV on this one.

I think it's fine to ask someone to provide proof for what they're saying, and it's fine to provide evidence which disproves what they're saying - and raw foodists should be prepared for that process since it's logical, and is applied to all things (like you said).

The raw food forum is labelled with "Discuss the raw food lifestyle here. Ask and answer questions relating to raw foods." So I don't know why people get the impression that you're not allowed to question raw foodism here - I think it is encouraged, at least by the admin. I think the resistance comes from the individuals involved in any given discussion.

As I said, I think that asking questions about raw food makes sense and is reasonable. But attacks are unreasonable. It can always be phrased in a respectful way

@DV and Offense: I don't know how many times you tried to get rid of the raw section. I still do not understand why. If raw people do things you don't (want to) understand you always ask for scientific back-up (which just does not exist), say you are worried about newbies and feel the need to protect them from unscientific and potentially dangerous information ( we had the discussion about modern science quite a few times now) and now, DV, you say you are worried about the forum itself suggesting the division between members jeopardizes the community.

IMO the forum benefits from the diversity of its members (including the raw members).

In the discussions we already had about this issue it has been said several times that raw foodists are aware of the fact they do not have a "scientific" proof. It has also been said that they do not believe in the science you (want to) represent. What bothers them is to exchange the same arguments again and again. This is not about avoiding discussions. Bigbwii never claimed to have scientific back-ups. He just reported about what he is doing (and he is doing great). You cannot impose you value system (including you trust in modern science) on what he is doing. This just doesn't work.

There are and always will be things that science cannot explain.

@DV: I am not angry on you. Just bored to see your next attempt. You were against the raw section from the beginning and you still try to force the moderators to delete it. IMO saying the opposite would be uncandid. I believe that you will only be contented when the raw section is gone and all raw members who do not share your views have left the forum.

@Bigboy: Keep it on! As you can see: Nothing has changed here...

Flanders! So happy to bore you!

To be perfectly candid, I was in support of the raw section when it first started, especially since I was experimenting with a lot of raw foods at the time. I delved into much of the available reading available on raw foods and visited many raw foods websites/forums. Unfortunately, I did not find any sound evidence (scientific or otherwise) to back up some of the claims and beliefs advanced by some raw foodists, such as the claims of detoxifying (big buzzword this past decade), high colonics, the enzyme theory, etc. But I did find that those who believe in these claims were fanatical in defending their beliefs despite evidence to the contrary.

I'm fine with any raw foodists who believe that eating raw foods vs. a typical western diet is the healthier option. If that had been the theme in this section then we wouldn't be having so many clashes between raw members and non-100% raw members who have felt the need to defend their "toxic" ways. This section doesn't seem to attract well-educated and non-fanatical raw vegans for the most part (there are exceptions and you know who you are). But it does seem to attract a lot of controversy. And this particular thread has been an anorexic girl's dream.

I thought that the focus of this board was on bodybuilding, fitness and community-building. I don't see how isolating some members into a certain section of the forum fits this theme. If raw foodists need their own section where they can feel safe and isolated then maybe they should find an entire forum dedicated to the raw "lifestyle." Everyone else on this forum comes out of the closet and can discuss their beliefs with the entire board so why can't raw foodists?

But don't worry as the raw section won't be going anywhere (I am actually unable to "force" the moderators to do anything). This forum is much more concerned with being the friendliest forum on the net than being the place to go for discussion and information on bodybuilding, fitness and nutrition. The forum will stay active, new members will arrive and those who are into bodybuilding will move on.

I think disagreements are what make discussions great!

The fact that sometimes it gets offensive on here is the fault of people not knowing how to express themselves properly, not the actual topics fault, imo.

I am not quite sure why there is a division over this section anyway!

We all eat mainly raw food dont we? Rawists just go a step further.. I have said a couple of times, everything I eat all day is raw food, until dinner, when I eat something hot.

To say there is a worthwhile difference between the two, nutritionally, is imo, a bit stupid.Some foods ARE better raw.Some foods ARE better cooked.

When are people going to realise this?

Food is food!