Who is your favorite 2008 Olympic Athlete?

robert

Yeah, totally....from the very moment I saw her, that very first second...I just took a double and triple take and then I kept watching while my friends were trying to play cards with me out here in D.C. I couldn't focus.

So much great muscle everywhere.....so beautiful, that and sweetest smile I've seen in a long time!

I'll be in MA this fall, maybe I'll be able to catch up with her if she's around

Simon Whitfield, Triathlete from Victoria BC

Gold in 2000, and Silver this year.

He is also influence by the Thirve diet. Perhaps in the future we'll see another Vegan Athlete !

http://www.triathlonsaskatoon.org/images/2003winter_tri_album/images/Cancun-Simon%20Whitfield.jpg

He is also influence by the Thirve diet. Perhaps in the future we'll see another Vegan Athlete !

Seconded! I was freaking out and screaming at my TV during the triathlon last night. He fell off the leading pack of three, and was a fair bit behind 500m from the finish, but mustered up a hell of a sprint to pull up ahead of them before the German unleashed a crazy strong sprint to pull ahead for the gold.

In any case, he's 33, a champion in my favourite sport, and Canadian of course . I didn't know he was influenced by the thrive diet, though. That's even cooler! But I'll admit he's not as hot as Alicia Sacramone .

Seconded! I was freaking out and screaming at my TV during the triathlon last night. He fell off the leading pack of three, and was a fair bit behind 500m from the finish, but mustered up a hell of a sprint to pull up ahead of them before the German unleashed a crazy strong sprint to pull ahead for the gold.

In any case, he's 33, a champion in my favourite sport, and Canadian of course . I didn't know he was influenced by the thrive diet, though. That's even cooler! But I'll admit he's not as hot as Alicia Sacramone .

Sweet I'm glad you think so too. I've seen him in races and the guy is like superman when he's transition.

Here's his quotes about the Thrive Diet

"During my career I've always surrounded myself with people who are the best in their field, whether it's my triathlon coach, an exercise scientist or massage therapist I've always sought the advice and guidance of individuals with a passion for excellence who never compromise. Brendan is simply the best nutritionalist I've found; his knowledge is second to none. I read The Thrive Diet and was enthralled that after reading so many books and meeting with so many experts, Brendan was able to explain his thoughts on nutrition in such a clear and insightful way. My Thrive Diet copy rests alone in the kitchen, tattered pages stained with beet juice and hemp oil. I only hope my competition doesn't read this book until after I'm done competing"

—Simon Whitfield, Olympic gold medalist (triathlon, Sydney 2000)

Another interesting thought,

He also hired a Chef Cosmo Meens located in Victoria BC to cook for the Canadian Triathlon Olympic team. The Chef includes meals from Raw vegan/ vegan, to non vegan meals.

Here's some more info on that. If you ever get a chance to visit Victoria I recommend eating at Mole. I took Jessi, and Robert there before.

The Chef also opened up a place next to his which is a raw food cafe, (Cafe Bliss) It just opened and I'm dieing to go there

In brief forum here's a article of it

Triathlon Canada, at the urging of 2000 Olympic gold medalist Simon Whitfield, has hired Meens to cook for the squad - likely six athletes, plus a coach and five support staff - at the villa they've rented within walking distance of the Olympic venue where the grueling swim-bike-run discipline will take place.

For Meens, who shares similar views on diet and health with with the fastidious Whitfield, it's like being a kid in a candy store. Or, in his case, a raw-food aficionado at an organic farm market.

When Whitfield won gold in Japan last month at an International Triathlon Union World Cup, Meens says he "was more excited about that than any other athlete doing anything since the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup" when he was a kid.

"I have the potential to be part of an Olympic team," says Meens, now 29.

"Simon was feeling that taking the pressure off the athletes and the coaches by having a chef come and focus on [making nutritional meals] would be a benefit to the team, give them a leg up, even."

Meens is already so attuned to the team concept that he confidently proclaims: "I think we are going to win."

Triathlon head coach Joel Filliol says while the athletes, many of whom have eaten at Meens' trendy Mo:Le restaurant, like his "organic, clean, unprocessed type of food," the motorcycle-riding chef is also a neat guy to have around.

"Liking his food is a big part of it, but he's also got the right kind of energy and attitude for our team."

Whitfield and his wife, Jennie, were regulars in the coffee shop next door. Before long, the owner there introduced them to Meens, and Whitfield and his training partners became regulars for breakfast at Mo:Le, where despite a changing menu Whitfield keeps coming back for the yam omelette. That, and the company of an eclectic group of customers who were never really awed by his status as an Olympic gold medallist and can talk about anything but sport.

"A lot of them are like, 'so about this triathlon-ing stuff.' It's a whole other world down there of art, music, coffee and food."

Although, when they all found out about next month's triathlon world championships at English Bay, they started talking about "loading up a Winnebago and heading over to Vancouver."

Whitfield says that with nutrition being such a huge part of high-performance sport, having Meens in Beijing for the four days the triathletes will be there before they compete is crucial.

"We trust him implicitly with how he'll prepare the food."

Meens, who has never been to China, will go over a couple of days early to begin stocking up on supplies from markets that the triathletes identified while at the World Cup last September. He'll also take over some "high-performance super foods ... hemp hearts, spearmint, raw chocolate."

He says he's not at all concerned about his ability to source out good quality products from supermarkets and area farmers, and suggests his experience with all things food will trump any language problems.

And he's not too worried about what kind of pots, pans and utensils are in the villa kitchen, especially given that he'll be taking over his own blender.

"Give me a blender and a set of knifes and I can pretty much make anything."

My favourite is Matthias Steiner. I thought he had bit of a lucky day when he took gold (snatch), silver (total) and bronze (clean & jerk) in the european championships this year, and then he goes up and wins the olympic gold ! Ultra solid! But what I really like about him is his intense display of happines, even more intense than what he showed at the europeans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-dMH15Pd0I

Mine is : Dara Torres. She's a 41 year old mom who is a U.S. Olympic swimmer.

She already won a silver medal at women's 400-meter medley relay on Sunday at the Beijing Olympics..

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/11/18/sports/18torres.1.600.jpg

I watched the 1km outdoor womens swimming final yesterday.

A lady, with 1 leg qualified for this & finished 16th, against all the other women.

That is truly inspirational for diasabled & able bodied people everywhere.

Catch me if you can!

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o350/the_truth_bucket/BoltII.jpg

This guy is INSANE!!!!!!

I've never seen more dominance in any event...not Mr. Phelps in swimming or anyone in another other event....sure some won like 10 medals, but as far as in the event, making it look so easy, complete heads above the competition....this guy gets my vote!

He can jog his way to one of the most precious world records in athletic history...world's fastest human.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/08/15/1218854483_0452/539w.jpg

Shalane Flanagan, 3rd in the 10K. She battled a stomach virus 3 days before the race too. Her mother is the former world record holder in the marathon and her reaction brought me to tears!