Cellphone Dangers? Does anyone use a protective device?

RAINRA

Precautionary Advice for Cell Phone Use

The World Health Organization has been compiling data on the health risks of electromagnetic fields emitted by cell phones, but the release of the report has been delayed for over two years.

In the meantime, many nations have sought to protect their citizens by issuing their own recommendations for cell phone use, including an announcement in Canada last week.

Here in the U.S., the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute recently posted a useful list of tips to limit harmful health impacts of cell phones:

1. Do not allow children to use a cell phone, except for emergencies.

2. Use hands-free ear pieces or speakerphone.

3. Make sure the back of the phone is pointing away from your body so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields move away from you rather than through you.

4. Switch sides regularly while communicating on your cell phone to spread out your exposure.

5. Don't sleep near your phone unless it is off, particularly if you are pregnant.

Obviously, the cellular phone antenna needs to emit radiation, since that is how the phone works. Now a normal hands free headset, if it is not triple shielded, can act as an antenna itself!

Other devices that stick to the phone and claim to reduce fields are can actually interfere with reception and cause the phone to emit higher fields than necessary (the phone adjusts its output according to reception quality).

Whenever they are turned on, cell phones communicate at infrequent intervals with a nearby base station even when they are not being used for a call. This is necessary to tell the system where the user is in case a call should come in. Thus, even while they are inactive, the phones are a source of (very low) radiofrequency energy exposure to the user. Hands-free kits reduce exposure to a user by removing the phone from the vicinity of the head. There is no identifiable health benefit in using the kits, but there is no detriment either, and using them may increase a user's peace of mind. Contrary to a widely publicized report by a British magazine last year, the kits are effective in reducing exposure. (This is not necessarily true of other devices that can be bought to be used with phones.) In your case, the cell phone and hands-free kit are clearly an important link to the outside world and I would not hesitate in using them. There may be comfort issues with having the earpiece in place for a long time, but radiofrequency radiation exposure should not be a concern at all. The hands-free kits will reduce exposure below that which you would receive if the phone were kept close to your head.

Kenneth R. Foster Professor, Department of Bioengineering

what is the best emf protector against cell phone damage that is legit?

I've read a number of articles like this, they've started surfacing over the last couple years. Scary stuff.

I think the best thing you can do is use a headset than connects to your phone with a wire -I wouldn't imagine that bluetooth/wireless devices would be much better for you than just using your cellphone.

Data is still inconclusive in all the studies I've read. This is a typical line: "This study did not say that cell phone use leads to brain tumors, only that long-term use may increase one’s statistical risk of certain brain tumors." (That's from the link below.)

So... no 'official' links between the two.... but 'tread lightly' seems to be the going theme....

I googled 'cell phone tumor' and a whole host of things came up. Here's one:

http://www.cancermonthly.com/blog/2007/12/braincancer-cellphones.html

Nobody have found anything conclusive. For every study that shows a potential risk, there's usually a replicate that shows nothing...it's really equivocal and there are lots of parties with vested interests in the results (i.e. cell phone companies) so there's a lot of politics involved at the same time.

Cell phones have been around long enough now that, if there was a serious risk, you'd really expect to have seen it by now. It seems more likely that there might be a minor risk - or, as one paper I read recently suggested, that maybe cell phone exposure speeds or enhances tumour growth in people who are already developing one, rather than being one of the original causes of the tumour. In any case, the effects are subtle enough that nothing is clear yet. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I forget to wear sunscreen most of the time (mostly because I never burn), and that cumulative sun exposure certainly increases my risk of skin cancer in a (small) way that is much better documented, so why would I worry about something that may or may not present a similar risk?

Then again, I don't use a cell phone all that much. If I was on it for hours and hours every week, maybe I'd feel differently.

But it makes sense that electromagnetic fields existing in close proximity to a specific area over a long period of time would have some effect on the human body....

This is an article from 'Mother Jones' on how the FDA seems to be in bed with the very prosperous phone companies who stand to lose alot of money if it turns out cellies are bad for us....

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/1999/11/fotc9.html

Any moving machinery is going to give off some sort of electric field. High voltage shit is the worse to be around for long periods of time. The cell phone thing isn't conclusive, but i do switch ears all the time, but that's cause my ear gets fatigued or i might want to lie down differently if i'm lying down.

Cancer is caused by steady promotion caused by a diet of animal foods and oil. Physical insults from carcinogenic materials are not what determines long term health - daily lifestyle habits do. Thus, if you eat a low-fat vegan diet and exercise there is no reason to fear cancers nor cell phones. The evidence is strong that diet is by far the #1 determinant of health. That's why asian men who smoke much more than americans have less lung cancer and milder cases when they occur - they tend to eat more plants and less animals. Check out Dean Ornish's Prostate Cancer Study to see how diet can reverse early prostate cancer.

Cell phones are very common now, but I dont think considering we have had them for what 20 years or so, that we can really ascertain what long term effects they may have.I think more studies showing the possible damage they cause should be noticed & scrutinised to see if it is actually true.

I knew a guys years ago, he used his phone alot.He always answered on his right ear.He started getting several big solid lumps in his right ear.So I advised him to swap ears for a few months & see if it changed anything.Amazingly the existing lumps disappeared & new ones appeared on his left ear.He had a Eriksson phone which turned out to be the highest emitter of rays in some study I saw for phones released that year.I dont know if the phone caused it or not.

But I am a little concerned, as the bloody things are right next to our brain when we are using them!

I agree that a low fat vegan diet can better help to ward off disease, and that statistically we get less sick short term and long term than our meat eating, SAD counterparts.... but outside influences will take their toll.

There isn't something 'in the meat' that will help electromagnetic fields along....

Yes.... but at great cost to the cell phone companies. In order to provide safer technology to the masses, there has to be an acknowledgment that what has been sold up until this point isn't the safest...... The cell companies would then get sued by every Tom and Jane that ever got a tumor for whatever reason (cell related or not), and they would have to halt production on all their current software, spend billions researching safer software, and be forced to replace all their current customers' phones for free. Billions upon billions of dollars are at stake. I don't think we can expect much to change.