General Computer Help

Dr. Pink

I was going to make a self-styled topic but I figured one that could benefit all of us is best.

So whenever you need help with a computer or technological problem post it here and hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking for two things.

#1. A good program for recording sound( I want to record a song )

#2. A good place to find MP3 quality songs without Lyrics. I'm looking specifically for the song We Built this City( On Rock and Roll ) Just the background music. Not the lyrics( Or intrumental lyrics in beats )

I'm making a video for youtube. So any help is much appreciated.

The hard part will be editing the music together with clips of the movie I plan to use. But I'm positive I can do it. I just need WMV clips of the movie poltergeist and Windows Movie Maker( Which I should have on my Comp )

Check out reaper, it's free and good. You're going to need some sort of mic and input. USB mics sounds like shit but if you need a quick fix go to guitar center and pick one up. If not, get a simple 2 mic pre USB 2.0 interface. If you're just going to be doing videos you probably don't care about uber elitist quality that much.

There is hardware out there that will zap the lead vocals out of any song. Not sure how it works or how well it works, but it's out there.

Sweet thanks I'll check out reaper.

I have a mic. It's the kind that plugs by wire into a specific plug for a mic.

Do you happen to have a name to go along with that "Vocal Zapping" Hardware you described?

I'll google it too. Google should find anything.

Anyways. Thanks bra

Found a program called Karaoke anything that is supposed to remove vocals from anything upon playback. I'm testing it out.

Apparently it doesn't work on Mono recorded songs. Only doubles. So I'll need to find the right song.

EDIT: Alright. That program sucked. It didn't work.

Perhaps not much help for video making but majorgeeks.com has an advice forum and lots of free downloads of various things, such as drive cleaners, office tools, registry, security, BIOS, data recovery, game tweaks, as well as spyware and adware protection. I've just seen, they have some multimedia things including Reaper, Songbird and many others.

In terms of free music recording software, nothing will beat Audacity IMHO. Unless you torrent up CUBASE SX, but I guess that's only "free" in the illegal sense

Those vocal-removing programs are usually crap. It relies on the voice being mixed and panned in a very particular way, and often takes out guitar and other instruments like that while barely affecting the vocals.

You'll either have to buy a karaoke CD (or karaoke mp3s) with that song on it, or torrent them.

I believe you can use mpg or avi clips with movie maker. You can capture DVD mpg or avi files using a firewire, or rip the file from the DVD. WMV clips will tend to be more compressed and lower resolution, added to what youtube does to a video when it compresses it for it's sight, your video will look better if the file you upload is as high as resolution as possible within the 100mg limit.