Please Help ME and THENDANISAYS need a place in Portland? =)

Lean and Green

So it is 1000% official. We are moving to Portland (myself and Dani) and are currently looking for an apartment to reside in together with Joey (a daschund).

Pet Friendly

preferably 2 br

No more than $800 (little more is ok but preferably $600-$800

Move in date around mid October, no sooner than Oct 1st. Negotiable

If anyone can help us out as we live on the east coast and know nothing about the availability or preferred places to rent or prices etc etc.... we'd dearly appreciate it!

Potter told us Randall (xDarthVeganx) lives in the belmont dairy apartments and that they are beautiful. The ones we looked at, were section 42 ones and there are 85 of them. Is this the same place? We asked to be put on the waiting list for it......

In addition if anyone knows of anyone hiring we both have extensive experience in the food services industry, in specific, bartending (dani) and every other facet. I have a good amount of experience in the financial field as well. We'll be looking around when we get there but a head start couldn't hurt.

Thank you so much in addition to everyone for any possible help/suggestions. If it wasn't for this place, we'd have never found each other and it continues to be our home away from home and now Portland will be as well.

You can pm either one of us if anything if you prefer a # to contact us.....

-Lean and Green (Giacomoo)

-Thendanisays (Dani)

Thanks Lena! We're so excited! nervous too, but excited...

also if anyone has any tips on moving across the country in general, tha would be cool as neither of us have every done anything like this. specifically on methods of getting all your stuff from point A to point B. we already are selling my furniture and starting from scratch in portland because it seemed too expensive to ship or drive. unless anyone knows any secrets......?

I don't have a profile yet, but I have lived in Portland for over five years now. The "closer-in" the better, that means closer to downtown. I haven't looked into renting in a while, but you should be able to find something in your price range. I would try Craigslist. There may be ads in some of the local papers online, I don't know. Try Willamette Week, The Mercury and The Oregonian.

I have moved a lot, including cross-country. However, I did do the big moving truck thing but also had craploads of stuff in two cars w/a labrador. Looking back, had I been practicing non-attachment at the time, I would have had a lot less stuff! Perfect time to pare down and simplify. Cram everything you can into your car, you may have to stop more frequently to stretch. A pull-behind U-haul trailer may be a good option. I would plan on driving everyday until you can't stand it and crashing, or make it into tour stops where you can hike or something but it is difficult to be able to leave your stuff comfortably in some places. Share driving if possible. Bring lots of your own vegan food!!! There will be some desolate spots and options very limited. Also, you may not want to spend too much time searching out acceptable places to eat. You could plan out a do-able route w/map quest or whatnot and have plans on where to stock up on groceries.

MoeZy gives some great advice.

I'm so excited for the two of you!!!!!

When we moved out here, I mapped out all the places we might eat using mapquest and happycow. I found motels/hotels that would accept pets using a service similar to happy cow (I don't know the name of it but there are a few of them). It took me about 4 hours to go through all the logistics, but we had a bird and cat. Motels that accept dogs are more numerous.

Most apartment searching can be done online. If I hear of anything, I'll let you know. Keep in touch and let me know when you find something.

Hey guys, congrats on the upcoming move!

I've moved from NY to San Diego, San Diego to Denver, and Denver back to NY...

NY to SD - Was after college, all my stuff fit in the back of my small pick-up. Super easy to do (of course).

SD to Den - Rented a UHaul truck and towed my car. I will never do that again. It was so uncomfortable and I must have spent hundreds extra on gas.

Den to NY - Sold most of my stuff, and just pulled a small UHaul trailer with my Nissan Pathfinder. This was a really good solution for me. Selling so much stuff is scary when you first think about it, but afterwards it feels so good to have "de-cluttered" my life. It's like a weight being lifted off your shoulders. Of course, if you recently spent thousands on new furniture, I can see wanting to keep it. All my furniture was just second-hand craigslist finds. As is my new furniture.

I've also driven cross-country more times that I can remember. One trip on a motorcycle even.

As for eating on the road - bring a cooler and lots of your own food and try to stop at grocery stores when you pass through cities. Then just stop at rest areas and have picnics while you watch the big trucks go by.

If you share driving, you can get away with maybe a single night in a motel, but otherwise just nap in the passenger seat (will take about 2-3 days). If you like more comfort, each night in a motel is fine too (will take 3-4 days). (I once drove from Denver to NY in 24 hours straight - not the move, just a visit.)

Very important!! If whoever is driving is feeling sleepy (heavy eyelids) they NEED to either STOP DRIVING or get the passenger to have a conversation with them. I've found that if you can keep your brain active during those long, straight, boring stretches of road, you can easily stay awake. On my before mentioned 24-hour drive I was able to stay awake by playing spanish language learning CDs and interacting with the speaker/teacher. Anything to keep the brain active.

Good luck!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Lena! We're so excited! nervous too, but excited...

also if anyone has any tips on moving across the country in general, tha would be cool as neither of us have every done anything like this. specifically on methods of getting all your stuff from point A to point B. we already are selling my furniture and starting from scratch in portland because it seemed too expensive to ship or drive. unless anyone knows any secrets......?

The longest move I have made was from Illinois to Georgia and then back again. Both times I used a UHaul truck. If you are driving a truck and another person driving a car, it is a HUGE help to have walkie talkies. They are so cheap now to buy and you have at least a 2 miles range. Every now and then you may get feedback from someone else on the highway using them. They are awesome to use for a variety of reasons. When you are backing up the truck to load or unload it helps the driver. They save on cell phone minutes, and your cell battery. Some areas you drive in might not have great service. It keeps your cell phone charged just in case of an emergency.

If you are moving over 50 miles to relocate for a job it is tax deductible. Save EVERY receipt you can. Save all of your gas, truck rental, food, packing supplies, etc. expenses and take them to a tax person next year. Even though you may be spending some money now, you might be able to get quite a bit of it back. Check with a tax person before you move. Ask them what can be deducted from the move. I know tax laws change each year but I was able to get some of my money back when I moved from Missouri to Illinois a couple of years ago.

A new type of moving service is something called Pods. If you haven't heard of it you can go to www.pods.com to see what it is. You load all of your belongings in a temporary storage box and a truck comes along and moves it for you to a location. You keep the pod (and you don't have to unpack it) until you are ready for them to pick up the empty pod. I don't know how much the cost is, but I do know it is cheaper than paying a moving company to move your things. If you get a Uhaul truck, get a size bigger than what you think you need. It may cost a little more money, but it can save a lot of stress on moving day. Most people underestimate how much they own. It is amazing how much crap we can get in an apartment or house.

If you are driving across country, check with your insurance company to make sure you have road side assistance on your vehicle. If you don't, add it. You can always take if off later. You never know what can happen as you are driving long distance. Also, some insurance companies give away a free Atlas to their clients. Mine does and I always make sure I have a new one before a long road trip.

I would discourage getting travelers' checks. There are so many bad travelers' checks floating around. A lot of businesses will give you a hard time or they will have to call them in before accepting them. I would try to use your ATM/Debit card as much as possible and have cash on hand in case of an emergency. Keep in mind that you will also need a stash of coins for toll roads. If your bank is a national chain, go online and see where there are locations throughout the US. You may need to stop at one on the way.

Before you leave on your trip, make a photo copy of your drivers license, insurance card, credit cards, etc just in case your purse/wallet gets stolen. Have your family keep it for you just in case you need it. They can always fax it to you. It isn't something fun to think about, however it helps you to remember exactly what you took with you so you can cancel cards and checking accounts right away.

If I can think of more, I'll post again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...