Mo' Betta Moxie

Hi! I'm Janis from Marietta, GA.

A little about me: I've been a vegetarian for years and about 3 months ago I made the switch to vegan. Can't imagine doing it any other way now.

I'm a Mom of 2, married since 98, and I work as a personal trainer and boot camp instructor. I am a "semi-retired" FAME figure pro, my last competition was a pro show in November of '07. I say semi-retired because I am taking at least a year off from competion to focus on my family, rest my body and give my metabolism a break. To keep my pro status I must compete in a natural show at least once every 2 years. Maybe in May of 09 I'll hit the stage again- or maybe not! Here's a link to my myspace with some photos of past competitions: http://www.myspace.com/runjanisrun

My current goals are to drop about 5-7 pounds (always those same stinking 5!) complete a half marathon in November, and continue to work on defining my legs. My current training schedule is:

MWF 5:30AM Boot camp MW 7PM Boot camp. I don't usually do both, depending on the intensity of the first class, I'll usually just bark at the later class.

T,TH,SA/SU: Total body circuit, between 20-45 minutes of cardio. I prefer to run outside, however I have a high hamstring pull that I've been dealing with close to a year now. Running hills exasperates it, so naturally I try to avoid that. During my circuit I stick to mainly compound movements for upper body using moderate/heavy weight and single joint or unilateral movements for legs. In boot camp we run about 2 miles worth of sprints/jogs and at least 200 squats/lunges and 50 push ups. I squat once every 2 weeks. Last week I did 3X10@115, so my strength is still pretty good despite the injury.

Still getting the hang of meals. I am hypoglycemic and I usually eat 5-6 times a day.

Typical day:

M1: Green smoothie (spinach, banana, berries, rice pp, almond milk, a little flax seed oil)

M2: Hummus, veg, sometimes a pita pocket. Fruit

M3: a bag of frozen veg (something with green) tofurkey slices, a vegan burger, etc. Slice of ezekial bread with natty pb

M4: nuts

M5: seitan or trader joe's veg chick strips cooked with a bag of frozen peppers and onions, corn tortillas, salsa, avacado, sometime tofutti sour cream.

M6: More hummus or white bean spread on wasa crackers, pita chips, etc. Glass of red wine

I hope to continue to learn from you amazing athletes!

(congrats if you read this LONG post! )

Sweet, that's great that you made the change to veganism You were in great shape last year in those photos (as I'm sure you must be aware!) Are you particularly out of shape now? You say you only want to lose 7lbs, sounds like you're still on target, which is great

Sweet, that's great that you made the change to veganism You were in great shape last year in those photos (as I'm sure you must be aware!) Are you particularly out of shape now? You say you only want to lose 7lbs, sounds like you're still on target, which is great

Hi and thanks!

My upper body is usually pretty lean, the weight I'm holding is in my lower body. Darned pear shape! At 5'6 I showed @ 135 (day of and dry as a bone) and today I weigh 144. Ideally I'd like to get under 140.

Today:

coffee with stevia and soymilk

5:30AM Boot camp. We're dealing with Fay here in ATL, so class was a bit different today. 1/2 mile warm up, about 50 yards of hip opening dynamic warmups and then BOOM thunderstorm! We ran to the gazebo and did 20 to 1. 20 squats 1 push up 30-45 seconds Cardio. (we did jumping jacks but usually it's a sprint) 19 lunges/leg 2 v-ups Cardio( varied)

Went until we did one lunge and 20 v-ups. A real crowd pleaser! Even if it wasn't raining cats and dogs we would've went home drenched with sweat.

M1: 1/3c dry oats made with water, frozen berries, 2 tbsp brown rice powder and splash of almond milk.

Blood sugar issues, 1/4 cup almonds.

M2: Bag of TJ's vegetable hodgepodge, 1/3cup ww couscous

Sauce: 1 tsp EVOO sauteed 1 clove garlic, 1 cup onions. Add about 1/3c spaghetti sauce, 1 cup diluted veg broth and add 1/3c veg pp (Naturade). Wisk together and pour over veg/couscous. (Good friend passed a variation of that on to me)

It will take 2 sittings to finish it all.

About 1.5 liters of H20

I'm with you about soy and "fake" meats . . . gas (my poor wife), bloating, and a very uncomfortable feeling. When I went with the more unprocessed stuff (beans, peas, some nuts and seeds (have to use moderation with these), hi-pro grains (wild rice mix, quinona, etc), and lots of vegies and fruit, I feel fine. I do supplement with hemp and gemma protein but only in the morning and early afternoon, and I take bromelien and protease when needed to help digestion. I love the "fake" meats but use it in moderation out of compassion for my wife and anyone who might be around me. Great to have you here!

Last night I had 1/2 a bagel before work, then a salad with grape tomatoes, veg bologna and garlic red wine vinager. Also one glass of red wine.

Today is another drencher here in ATL, so it looks like cardio inside.

M1: coffee, soymilk. Green smoothie with spinach, mango, banana, 2 tbsp rice pp, almond milk and water.

Planned workout: Light legs, back and bi's. 30 on elliptical.

Well crud. Sometimes this working Mom thing really cuts into my training time!

I snuck in 20 minutes on the elliptical and started a weight training workout several times. *Sigh....tomorrow for weights.

M2: 1/4c dry oats with water, 2 tbsp rice pp, 1 tbsp natty PB, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, stevia, almond milk.

M3: PB on 1 slice ezekial bread

M4: Roasted potato, carrots, onions, portabella mushrooms, garlic and olive oil. Added TJ's Chicken strips. Deelish!

Weights today, Back, Bi's light legs.

Lat pull down 3X12@ 75 superset (SS) with Reverse lunges 3X15

One arm row with leg extended 3X10@35

Rear delt cross cable fly 3X10@ 55 ss Plie squats 3X25

Good Mornings 3X12 @ 45, 65,75

EzBar curls 3X10@ 40, 30

Alt DB curls 1X10@ 20...Having a tennis elbow flare, quit while I was ahead

3X12 Supine Hip bridge with leg curl on ball

30 minutes elliptical level 8-12.

Not sure of macros today, at least 75 clean protein.

M1(5:15am ) .25oats, .25 lt soymilk, rice pp. Coffee, splash lt. soymilk

5:30AM boot camp. Mainly legs and hill running.

M2 (8am) 1/2 bagel with 1 tbsp tofutti cream cheese, hemp pp, 1/2c unsw almond milk, 6 large strawberries.

So far:

Calories 538

Fat:16.5

Carbs 59.3

Pro 40.3

I am so hungry this morning! Hopefully it's my body repairing after my workout yesterday. My lats are very sore!

Planned: 20 on elliptical or bike. I have boot camp this evening.

Standing shoulder press with PVC pipe filled with 22 pounds of water 3X12 super setted with Incline DB fly 3X12@20

(Helped manager move leg press, that thing is heavy as hell)

Lateral Raises 3X12@10 ss Rope Tri press downs 3X15@36

Front raises 3X15@10 SS Tri kick back on elbow 3X15@12

Short and sweet!