Protein that's it ... going back to eating meat. What?!!!

RAINRA

As some of you know the Artist Common went back to eating fish. Saying he needed more protein. The main writer for NaturalNews.com said that he would go Vegan but he still needs good protein so he eats fish on occasion.

Why do people make these claims? Do we have a protein meter in our body that goes ... ding ding ding ... more protein?

Plant diet provides great sources of protein. Even when we lift as long as we are eating enough foods we will get a good source of protein. There is some evidence that shows that your body can't absorb all the protein one eats. Plus as many agree Hemp is a great source of that good quality protein.

Protein over rated or desperately needed?

I think I felt some protein alerts (or I interpreted it that way) from my body, when I was cutting, with so low calorie intake that the amount of food was very small and my carbs, proteins, etc were low too. And I had often this fear inside of me of lacking proteins, but I cannot say if that came from my brain/imagination, influenced by cultural beliefs, or if it was a real need from my body sending an alarm to my brain.

When I'm eating enough calories or even half of my calorie needs, I never think about proteins, eventhough I tend to eat only carbs foods, no protein shakes or TVP, seitan, etc. -

I don't know how this person you're talking about thinks or eats as a vegan, but he's certainly wrong, because there's millions of vegans now (or less, I don't know) and they're doing fine without fish or meat, I don't see why this guy would be so special, with particular needs.

Edited by I'm Your Man

Protein estimates by omni's = overrated

Protein estimates by vegans = underrated

Protein estimates by omni's = overrated I agree

Protein estimates by vegans = underrated I don't agree : most vegans (here on this forum at least) are obsessed with proteins, asking questions, being worried, buying tons of protein supplements

As some of you know the Artist Common went back to eating fish. Saying he needed more protein. The main writer for NaturalNews.com said that he would go Vegan but he still needs good protein so he eats fish on occasion.

Why do people make these claims? Do we have a protein meter in our body that goes ... ding ding ding ... more protein?

Plant diet provides great sources of protein. Even when we lift as long as we are eating enough foods we will get a good source of protein. There is some evidence that shows that your body can't absorb all the protein one eats. Plus as many agree Hemp is a great source of that good quality protein.

Protein over rated or desperately needed?

Check out the link to the sticky in my thread. Cofounder of Vegan Outreach Jack Norris went back to school so he could write GOOD vegan starter guides. He noticed a lot of people following bad advice when trying out vegetarianism, then going back to being omnis.

It is fairly common for people to not inform themselves, be misinformed, and/or eat sloppy. Once they feel run down they blame veganism and go back. That, or they don't like the practical or social inconveniences, don't want to admit to it and make up an excuse like your associate's

Ok I will correct my statement

Protein estimates by vegans (in relation to mass/bodybuilding): underrated

1g/kg is a limiting amount of protein on a building diet. 2g/kg is optimal IMO...

yeah, it's true it's a bodybuilding forum so it's normal we talk a bit more about proteins than other vegans would. But I think that both omnis and vegans accord a bit too much importance to proteins (overrated), because most of us were omnis before going vegans, and we haven't change that much our opinion on the amount of proteins needed, it's just that we found out that animal proteins are not the only proteins.

Protein estimates by omni's = overrated

Protein estimates by vegans = underrated

Protein estimates by omni's = overrated I agree

Protein estimates by vegans = underrated I don't agree : most vegans (here on this forum at least) are obsessed with proteins, asking questions, being worried, buying tons of protein supplements

Oh, but look at that scrawny avatar of yours. Clearly, you're not getting enough protein!

Eat a diet rich in beans, seeds, nuts and green vegetables and you will be perfectly fine. I have been off of isolated protein for only a few months, but the fact that I have been gaining just as quickly on less than 2/3 of the protein I used to consume for this long is plenty of proof for me that high protein intakes are highly overrated. I feel pretty stupid for having believed in such intakes for so long.