Vegetarian diet..

I need some advice on my diet, and criticism and advise are appreciated.

Information:

Goal: Get Stronger

Weight:140

height: 5' 9''

Meal One:

Kidney Beans

Brown Rice

30g Whey

------------------------------------------------------------

Total- 456 Calories 2 Fat 65 Carbs 49 protein

Meal Two

2 Slices of Whole Wheat Bread

2-3 Whole Eggs

1 Cup 2% Milk

--------------------------------------------------------------

Total- 470 Calories 13 Fats 48 Carbs 30 Protein

Meal Three (preworkout)

1 Cup Oatmeal

1.5 Cup 2% Milk

30g Whey

-------------------------------------------------------------

Total- 585 Calories 11 Fats 78 Carbs 46 Protein

Meal Four- (Post Workout)

Quinoa

Tofu

15g whey

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Total-410 Calores 15 Fats 47 Carbs 41 Protein

Meal Five-

2 Cup 2% Milk

Almonds

Whey

Flax Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Total- 504 Calories 23 Fats 29.5 Carbs 44 Proteins

Macro (%): 24% Fat 43% Carbs 33% Protein

Macro: 70 Fats 285.5 Carbs 216.4 Protein

Ranges- (lowest to greatest)

Calories 410 --->585

Fat 2----> 23

Carbs 29.5------> 78

Protein 30--->49

2 Gallons of Water a day

ZMA hour before Meal Five

Multivitamin

Creatine 4x a week with Workout

Edit: Total of 2.800 calories a day.

Edited by DarkFlames

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is to

1. Cut the egg and dairy products out of your diet. They are a top allergen, they

promote cancer growth, have next to no iron and don't have any nutrients you

can't get in a healthier way on a vegan diet.

2. Read the second link in my signature

Milk and Eggs have great source of protein. (amino acid profile wise) Eggs contain niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur.

Casien in milk is slow digesting making it awesome to drink before bed. (slow digesting)

Dont plan to take them out, but thanks for your input.

Casein is slow digesting, too slow that is. Want to quickly digest the protein and get it into your muscles. Plus putting anything in your stomach at night is not good for digestion (position of the body-it slowly rots by bacteria instead of you getting the nutrients you need). Plus it will go slowly into the muscles, if at all, and with no action going on, it could just go into bodyfat.

Yes, eggs have all that good stuff in it, but it still is a common allergen (how is your face? any breakouts?). Whey, alias milk/dairy, is another common allergen.

Carbs: Kidney beans,

white rice (why white? brown is better),

whole wheat bread (sprouted is highly more digestible and thus readily available for use that afternoon for workout),

oatmeal,

quinoa

Protein: Dairy: eggs, milk (whey),

legumes: Kidney beans, tofu,

grains: quinoa,

nuts: almonds

Um, where is the vegetables? For optimal bulking/stronger, you need to eat some vegetables, especially green leafy ones, to get recovery fully fast of muscles (vitamins and minerals needed to putting the amino acids from the protein you take in into the muscle fibers - co enzymes (needed for the metabolic enzymes) are usually vitamin and minerals).

And only 585 calories a day? The average person needs around 1200 calories just to maintain their basal metabolism. IMO, you need to increase if you want to build. You need to be really thin with a weight of 140 at 5'9". Are you an ectomorph? It will be hard to gain muscle on only 600 calories a day. Need to increase if you are serious about gaining muscle mass. If you say that you don't want to get "BIG" while getting more muscles, then I can't advise you. In my experience you can only do one or the other (you can get thin while maintaining your present muscle mass, but gaining is too hard).

Yes, this is a vegan BB forum, but we can still help out a fellow BB (or an inspiring one).

Casein is slow digesting, too slow that is. Want to quickly digest the protein and get it into your muscles. Plus putting anything in your stomach at night is not good for digestion (position of the body-it slowly rots by bacteria instead of you getting the nutrients you need). Plus it will go slowly into the muscles, if at all, and with no action going on, it could just go into bodyfat.

Yes, eggs have all that good stuff in it, but it still is a common allergen (how is your face? any breakouts?). Whey, alias milk/dairy, is another common allergen.

Carbs: Kidney beans,

white rice (why white? brown is better),

whole wheat bread (sprouted is highly more digestible and thus readily available for use that afternoon for workout),

oatmeal,

quinoa

Protein: Dairy: eggs, milk (whey),

legumes: Kidney beans, tofu,

grains: quinoa,

nuts: almonds

Um, where is the vegetables? For optimal bulking/stronger, you need to eat some vegetables, especially green leafy ones, to get recovery fully fast of muscles (vitamins and minerals needed to putting the amino acids from the protein you take in into the muscle fibers - co enzymes (needed for the metabolic enzymes) are usually vitamin and minerals).

And only 585 calories a day? The average person needs around 1200 calories just to maintain their basal metabolism. IMO, you need to increase if you want to build. You need to be really thin with a weight of 140 at 5'9". Are you an ectomorph? It will be hard to gain muscle on only 600 calories a day. Need to increase if you are serious about gaining muscle mass. If you say that you don't want to get "BIG" while getting more muscles, then I can't advise you. In my experience you can only do one or the other (you can get thin while maintaining your present muscle mass, but gaining is too hard).

Yes, this is a vegan BB forum, but we can still help out a fellow BB (or an inspiring one).

Last meal is one hour before bed. With that being said, your body is still burning calories during the night. You wouldn't recommend someone to not eat all day would you? Even if they are sleeping all day?

Benefit eating before bed:

- Fuels muscle throughout the night. When body doesnt get food it goes after muscle first.

- Eating before bed is very important because you wont wake up in the middle of the night. Body needs 8 hours of rest and if you wake up your REM cycle will be disturbed.

Haven t had break out for a while now, and before someone says it. I've been eating 2 whole eggs for over 2 years now and my cholesterol is just fine.

Yes the rice is brown

I knew I forgot something, ill add vegetables and some fruit in my diet thanks.

You are correct I can only cut or bulk one at a time. (until i have a perfect diet which i dont) Even though it is possible im probably not going to have the perfect diet.

The total calories of the day are 2,800

my Maintance calories are 2,500.

585 is the range of calories I have a day. (try to fuel bod equally though out the day)

Thanks for your input appreciate it.

You do know this is VEGAN bodybuilding?

That really helpped me. thanks a lot

/sarcasm

Milk and Eggs have great source of protein. (amino acid profile wise) Eggs contain niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur.

Casien in milk is slow digesting making it awesome to drink before bed. (slow digesting)

You can get all of those things from vegan foods, in quantity, without the increased cancer risk, without the increased risk of cardiovascular disease, without the increased pollution to the environment and without the animal cruelty.

No offense meant, this is a vegan bodybuilding forum so people are going to tell you the good things about going vegan and they will encourage it.

In terms of health and ethics, milk is liquid meat

You can get all of those things from vegan foods, in quantity, without the increased cancer risk, without the increased risk of cardiovascular disease, without the increased pollution to the environment and without the animal cruelty.

No offense meant, this is a vegan bodybuilding forum so people are going to tell you the good things about going vegan and they will encourage it.

In terms of health and ethics, milk is liquid meat

None taken, but besides the eggs, and lack of veggies do you see any other problems?

I often post on bb.com forums but the people there often reply with "eat meat", and dont give constructed criticism in the flaws of my diet.

My advice is to

1. Cut the egg and dairy products out of your diet. They are a top allergen, they

take them out, don't worry about protein so much, I know if your a beginner vegetarian your worrying about everything but don't if you want good sources of protein eat quinoa, soy, and thing like these

My advice is to

take them out, don't worry about protein so much, I know if your a beginner vegetarian your worrying about everything but don't if you want good sources of protein eat quinoa, soy, and thing like these

Anything besides the eggs and milk?

None taken, but besides the eggs, and lack of veggies do you see any other problems?

I often post on bb.com forums but the people there often reply with "eat meat", and dont give constructed criticism in the flaws of my diet.

Milk isn't any better than meat. Aside from milk and eggs the other flaws I see in your diet are using refined grain products. Empty calories. If you use whole grains and whole grain products you will get much more nutrition.

Milk isn't any better than meat. Aside from milk and eggs the other flaws I see in your diet are using refined grain products. Empty calories. If you use whole grains and whole grain products you will get much more nutrition.

Like what?

And what would you replace it with?

edit: I meant brown rice not white sorry :S

Like what?

The bran is the part of the grain that is taken away with refining. It has most of the fiber, most of the vitamins, most of the minerals, and a lot of the protein. You will not see big differences in numbers on a box because food manufacturers fortify some of the refined grain foods, but they can't put back everything they take out. They are still discovering new nutrients and they don't know what humans need to use supplements.

White rice, white flour products are *almost* pure starch with *some* vitamin fortification: translation: empty calories

Like what?

The bran is the part of the grain that is taken away with refining. It has most of the fiber, most of the vitamins, most of the minerals, and a lot of the protein. You will not see big differences in numbers on a box because food manufacturers fortify some of the refined grain foods, but they can't put back everything they take out. They are still discovering new nutrients and they don't know what humans need to use supplements.

White rice, white flour products are *almost* pure starch with *some* vitamin fortification: translation: empty calories

I understand what you mean by empty calories, and refined but what exactly are you refering to?

I understand what you mean by empty calories, and refined but what exactly are you refering to?

re•fine /rfan/ verb [vn]

1 to make a substance pure by taking other substances out of it: the process of refining oil / sugar

2 to improve sth by making small changes to it: She has refined her playing technique over the years. This theory still needs a little refining. The industry chose this word, it's a trick because it means at the same time to deprive and to improve. About everything can be refined. It is better to stay closer to nature with whole foods that haven't been touched or transformed.

Wow, and I thought my lesbian friends were militant! Good thing I don't post my diet online - my Sunday omlet with my parents would cause so much commotion we'd be talking about it for weeks on end!

At any rate - Kudos to you for leading a more healthy lifestyle than most people. Being 16 years old, it's pretty cool that you're trying to endeavor to make some decisions early on in life that will have a huge payback down the road in terms of health, not to mention the ethical issues. Switching to a vegetarian and/or vegan lifestyle can be a challenge, especially if you weren't brought up that way. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll do fine!

lol thx

I still dont get what the hell your referring to when your saying refined.

Refined is basically just stuff that is over-processed... maybe it was changed so that something valuable was taken out, or perhaps a chemical addition or alteration., just to make the food more attractive for people to eat. My rule of thumb is that if the food doesn't look like it grew that way in nature, i try to avoid it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell though (ie, white rice vs brown rice... they can come from the same plant but the white rice is refined in the sense that the outter shell was removed - the shell is a significant source of fiber).

lol thx

I still dont get what the hell your referring to when your saying refined.

Refined is basically just stuff that is over-processed... maybe it was changed so that something valuable was taken out, or perhaps a chemical addition or alteration., just to make the food more attractive for people to eat. My rule of thumb is that if the food doesn't look like it grew that way in nature, i try to avoid it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell though (ie, white rice vs brown rice... they can come from the same plant but the white rice is refined in the sense that the outter shell was removed - the shell is a significant source of fiber).

Maybe im typing it wrong.

I dont know what in my diet is refined.

Dude.

4 months ago, I was eating eggs & milk too.When I found this forum, & cut them out my diet, I gained strength, size, & felt alot healthier all round.

I eat nothing but vegan foods & I am gaining close to a kilo of muscle every week.

The eggs & milk in your diet are simply unnecesary.

Try it.

PS: eat more calories.Unless I am hitting 3000 a day every day, I do not gain weight.

how much do you weigh? more you weigh more food you need. i gain weight easier and was eating 3,000 calories at 150 lbs.

You may be gaining 2 lbs a week, but its impossible to be all muscle. Body can only create .5 lbs of muscle with good diet, training, and sleep.