Anyone not do small frequent meals??

Hi,

I am feeling so burnt out on eating little and often. Can't do it anymore, for a while at least. Does anyone have success eating 3-4 well balanced meals a day? If so do you have to eat less calories/day to compensate for a lower thermogenic effect of food?

All week I have been eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am full and I eat less calories this way. I was a stuffer before I started eating frequently and often so I feel that I have learned some valuable lessons but wonder if it is better to eat a more natural way for my body/personality.

Interested to hear your feedback.

Mieke

Hi,

I am feeling so burnt out on eating little and often. Can't do it anymore, for a while at least. Does anyone have success eating 3-4 well balanced meals a day? If so do you have to eat less calories/day to compensate for a lower thermogenic effect of food?

All week I have been eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am full and I eat less calories this way. I was a stuffer before I started eating frequently and often so I feel that I have learned some valuable lessons but wonder if it is better to eat a more natural way for my body/personality.

Interested to hear your feedback.

Mieke

Yes you should "eat a more natural way for (your) body/personality." That's what I do, but we're always kind of changing too so for a certain period of time I might eat frequently; these days I'm eating 3-4 big meals/day. I have lots of energy except right after eating a huge meal, kidney monopolizes all the blood, draining the nervous system and the rest of the body, sometimes I fall asleep after this. -

-

-To lose weight, most people will tell you frequent small meals are better. But of course you can still lose weight with 3 big meals instead, it's the total daily/weekly calories that counts and activity level.

I used to do the 5-6 meals a day thing until very recently. I got tired of it and prefer to eat larger meals with more variety. I do 3-4 now. I feel satisfied on fewer calories.

@ what Offense74 said: I am sure this is what you are talking about with more meals possibly not being as healthy. There is evidence that a few meals a day without snacking (intermittent fasting) may give almost as much benefit to longevity and disease fighting as caloric restriction.

I'm also trying to lose body fat and have been successful in slowly dropping weight by eating three meals a day. They are usually very balanced and well-planned. If I feel hungry in between, I will have a small snack.

My acupuncturist once told me that eating 5 to 6 small meals a day doesn't give your organs a chance to rest (which is also why some people suggest not eating within three hours of bed time).

I actually feel like I have more energy since I stopped eating frequently. It felt counter-intuitive and annoying to always have to think about food. I also wasn't hungry for all that I was trying to eat...

The only way you'll know is by trying it out and seeing what works best for you.

Good luck!

It's hard for me to eat 5-6 small meals a day, AND to eat 3 large meals a day. I feel like I do better on 5-6 large meals a day lmao. Then again, I'm 17. Although I'm not very good at keeping fat off me, so I try not to eat too much.

I say do what makes your body feel the best.

It's been a while since I posted on here, but I couldn't resist this one. I tried the 5-6 meal/day thing for a few months and it just didn't work for me. I actually found myself hungrier and less satisfied than I am with 3 substantial meals and a snack. There was also a psychological side to it for me. I felt so much pressure to make sure I had all my meals packed and planned for the day and became quite stressful. Because I was eating so often, I felt like a pig even though I really wasn't eating any more than I do now. I'm sure there are plenty of benefits to eating 5-6 times per day for people that are looking to gain lean mass, and while that is a goal for me, I'm not going to sacrifice my mental well-being to reach that goal.