Where are you located and how old are you all?

kollision

Speaking of placing the 50 states - has anyone ever seen this? http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_experiment_drag-drop_Intermed_State15s_500.html

Cool!!

92%

average error: 17 miles

375 seconds

I'd have been screwed if I had to start with TN, KY or any of those midwestern states.

82%, avg error of 33 miles, and 262 seconds to complete.....

Better than I expected!!! And I had to start with Illinois, which I consider as part of the middle. As it turns out the only state I had NO idea where it is is Delaware....without that one my average error would have been a lot smaller, but apparently Delaware is a few hundred miles to the South of where I thought it was

I am 4 miles from DE.

I was watching an episode of Angry Beavers (a cartoon), when looking for one of the Beavers, the line went

"He moved to Delaware"

"where's Delaware?"

"NOBODY KNOWS!"

My father worked for a hospital in DE and constantly got the:

"which state are we shipping to"

"Delaware"

"yes I know it's Delaware, but what state"

ummm....the first one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father worked for a hospital in DE and constantly got the:

"which state are we shipping to"

"Delaware"

"yes I know it's Delaware, but what state"

ummm....the first one.

Sounds like when I lived in Oregon, and mentioned that I'd been born in Vermont. I'd get the "Isn't that up in Washington somewhere?" question. What the heck?

Then I moved back to Vermont, and talked with someone who thought that Oregon was in the midwest somewhere. (At least they knew it was a state!)

Did I already ask you about your ISSA cert? How long it took etc.?

You talking to me bro? It was about a year. It's all home study and home test, so it's pretty simple. It is a bit discouraging because that means that anyone of any capacity could do it. The tricky parts are the open ended questions. You could also opt to take the test at a seminar. So it all depends on you. If you can read the entire book in less than a month (it's about 700 pages) and keep the knowledge with ya, then you can do it relatively fast. There is a lot of information in there which is hard to remember them all, but they are all worthwhile.

ISSA is really good and they even have an online Forum. Theres this one guy that works for ISSA that basically answers the questions that ISSA Certified Personal Trainers have or people that are still studying. Smart guy and has the answer to literally everything related to the body or fitness.

Theres even interactive lessons on their site, exercises, the book from which you are studying, etc.

Right now I am going for a National Board of Fitness Examiners which basically is used in case Licensing of personal training ever comes to a state, then that means I did my stuff already. This one aint take home, I gotta take it at a Thompson Prometric company, where they test other people from various fields as well like Chiropractors going for their Nationals and other fields. So that means I gotta study like crazy....Theres two parts to this, Question and Answer and a Practical test. The one I am taking first is the Q&A, the practical test isn't finished yet. It's a new organization because before this, Personal Trainers only needed to be certified and there are like 200 different organizations that teach different things. This aint a Certification agency. You need to be certified before you can even take the test. Should look good for my credentials, at least I hope so

Heres the site for them: http://www.nbfe.org/

I'm 33 in Richmond Virginia, although soon to be Pittsburgh.

I used to live in Pittsburgh, in Squirrel Hill. I miss it there because lots of stuff was in walking distance.

No kidding. Such a silly little alcohol and sports driven town with such amazing vegans frequenting it. I'm originally from the Fox Chapel/Springdale area.

Ok, and to address the actual thread questions, my real name is Tiffaney. I'm 24. I presently live in the Santa Cruz/Watsonville/Monterey area of California.

35 years old (yikes!), in Houston, Texas, USA and my name really is Michelle.

Speaking of placing the 50 states - has anyone ever seen this? http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_experiment_drag-drop_Intermed_State15s_500.html

90%

21 mile error

241 seconds

I started with South Dakota. It's difficult to guess the exact location of the inland states in the beginning, but once you get about half of the states down it's pretty easy

25, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Michael, you're moving to the burgh? I'm out of town a lot, but if you're looking for a musclebuddy... Also, i'm actually from Washington, PA. There was a real nice farm sanctuary 30+ miles east, but they recently shut down. Right now i live mostly in Cranberry. Going to move back into the burgh sooner or later, but haven't found a living situation worth paying for. yeah, even with a full-time engineering job i'm a cheap bastard.

~david

90%, 18 mile error, 517 seconds.

Overall I did pretty good. I missed five and I was close enough on some of them that they were touching in the red part where they were supposed to go. Its hard to tell before you get the other states to measure up against.

Given a map with the state boundries drawn in & asked to fill in the state names, I'm afraid I would fail miserably! I have a general idea where most states are, but those mid-western ones (east of the Mississippi) throw me.

31, currently residing in Waukesha, Wisconsin (just outside of Milwaukee by about 20 minutes drive), probably will be here for some time to come unless we opt to uproot our entire business and relocate, which isn't likely to happen any time too soon.

I'm out of town a lot, but if you're looking for a musclebuddy...

This made me laugh - Sensless and I refer to ourselves as "musclebuddies" since my wife's father once called us that name in a mocking manner. Apparently he didn't want to help us move our office furniture a few years back so he said "Why don't you get your muscle buddy to help out?" It's been an endearing term ever since, despite the origin!

Ryan

I'm out of town a lot, but if you're looking for a musclebuddy...

This made me laugh - Sensless and I refer to ourselves as "musclebuddies" since my wife's father once called us that name in a mocking manner. Apparently he didn't want to help us move our office furniture a few years back so he said "Why don't you get your muscle buddy to help out?" It's been an endearing term ever since, despite the origin!

Ryan

yeah, i'm pretty sure i stole the term from you guys it's more descriptive than asking someone to be your partner

Michael, you're moving to the burgh? I'm out of town a lot, but if you're looking for a musclebuddy... Also, i'm actually from Washington, PA. There was a real nice farm sanctuary 30+ miles east, but they recently shut down. Right now i live mostly in Cranberry. Going to move back into the burgh sooner or later, but haven't found a living situation worth paying for. yeah, even with a full-time engineering job i'm a cheap bastard.

~david

Right on! My girls are living in Washington PA with their mom. I plan on moving to "the burgh" early next year, probably january or february. Great time to move to Pittsburgh right? Definitely would like a musclebuddy! We could even make Tyler drive down from Cleveland once in a while.

Veganmadre is also moving back to the burgh from California. We've just started chatting about ideas for a co-operative house/commune type situation. Could be a cheap vegan living situation for you. Of course with us there will already be 4 girls under age 7. Do you like kids?

I plan on moving to "the burgh" early next year, probably january or february. ... Veganmadre is also moving back to the burgh from California. We've just started chatting about ideas for a co-operative house/commune type situation.

That's awesome. Pittsburgh should change its name to Vegansburgh, especially since Vegan Outreach is from there too

I plan on moving to "the burgh" early next year, probably january or february. ... Veganmadre is also moving back to the burgh from California. We've just started chatting about ideas for a co-operative house/commune type situation.

That's awesome. Pittsburgh should change its name to Vegansburgh, especially since Vegan Outreach is from there too

Sounds reasonable to me.

~david

Right on! My girls are living in Washington PA with their mom. I plan on moving to "the burgh" early next year, probably january or february. Great time to move to Pittsburgh right? Definitely would like a musclebuddy! We could even make Tyler drive down from Cleveland once in a while.

Veganmadre is also moving back to the burgh from California. We've just started chatting about ideas for a co-operative house/commune type situation. Could be a cheap vegan living situation for you. Of course with us there will already be 4 girls under age 7. Do you like kids?

Great time to move to Pittsburgh? Hum. Depends on your fort building, snowball making abilities. Could turn out pretty bad for you - given that I am moving back and am quite talented at speedy and effective snowball construction (notice that I am so skilled it is no longer called "making" but rather "construction").

Oh, wait....you mean, adult stuff???? Lots of shoveling and slippery roads. The ambiance can actually be really nice, though, and the snow looks beautiful. The roads, however, are awful!

Wait a minute, you don't consider applied methodologies in snowball engineering technology to be an "adult" activity?

more like "genius" activity...i don't want to confuse Michael so early in the game, i'm sure you understand.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/tiff001.jpg

• 4 months later...