This is really fun

I still need less bicep, more... something else.

Saturday:

30 mins elliptical

50+4 mins run

superset db chest press([email protected]) db bi curl (2@15x20)

superset cable chest fly ([email protected]/12.5x20) bb bi curl (2@20x20)

superset seated leg extension (2@50x20) prone ham curl (2@30x20)

leg band squats

one leg bridges

planks

push ups 3x10

Food:

hemp, ginger, tomato, celery, basil, flax, miso smoothie

a piece of bread

200 cals of oatmeal with coffee/soy

WORKOUT

6 dates

a bowl of artichoke hearts and seitan with a veg burger and 3 dates

4 cups of popcorn

a lunabar

a larabar

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna to be rly busy again over the next 10 weeks, but it won't be anything like it was before break, hopefully! The challenge is gonna be just to stay on a decent eating plan, push myself training, get enough sleep, and try to have some kind of social life.

I thought of a new goal for myself yesterday but I forgot what it was.

Sunday:

My deltoids were sore, so I gave my arms a break day and just hit on abs... I'll prob keep it like that over weekends... tri/back/shoulders, chest/bi/legs, and then have a day to just concentrate on abs. The plan was to finish each workout with as many pushups as I could do, but I might modify that and attach it to one day. No more planks at all for a while, they're not doing my shoulder any good.

Workout:

30 mins elliptical

50+4 mins run

leg band side walking

superset weighted hyperextension (3@10x20) combo crunches 3x30

hanging leg raises (3x10)

stability ball balance work

side crunches (50/50)

decline sittups (2x15)

hemp, ginger, tomato, celery, basil, flax, miso smoothie

a piece of bread

200 cals of oatmeal with coffee/soy

WORKOUT

3 dates

300 cal of hi pro tofu with some cabbage, ginger, and mint stewed to hell

a lunabar

another lunabar

5 corn chips

I remembered that goal...

By the end of the quarter I wanna ride hands free for 2 blocks.

I was tired after work today but I went faster on the treadmill longer.

I'm supposed to be doing opposite arm and leg raises with weight, but omg how freaking boring... stability ball work is way more fun, i'm so into it, it prob won't do me the same amount of good, and my glutes won't get "stronger" but I got to keep my brain happy too... I guess in this case happy brain wins out over happy booty.

Monday:

30 mins elliptical

50+4 mins running

leg band side walking

superset wide grip pull downs (2@50x20) and tri press downs (2@60x20)

superset dumbell row (2@20x20) lateral raise (2@5x20)

superset db military press (2@10x20) skullcrushers(2@20x20)

stability ball fun fun fun

Food:

coffee, soy

ginger, spinach, celery, basil, 1 tbs flax, 1 tsp miso, h20 smoothie

a piece of bread and 10 baby carrots

some celery and a veg sausage <<< blood sugar was 101 ☺

zuccini, tomato, 1/3 cup garbonzos

a scoop of vega in h20

100 cal oatmeal

coffee, soy

WORKOUT

3 dates

artichoke hearts, peppers, and a veg burger

2 lunabars

Hi there

Have you tried to make you very own lara Bars ?

It saves you so much money and it's so easy lol

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2617/68/121/800195712/n800195712_6336509_1543844.jpg

Keep up the hard work

Ok I will. I figure it's gonna be ok cause even though i have really terrible dental insurance, the dentist's office is close to my house.

Hi there

Have you tried to make you very own lara Bars ?

It saves you so much money and it's so easy lol

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2617/68/121/800195712/n800195712_6336509_1543844.jpg

Keep up the hard work

Girlfriend, I know it's april fools day but why is there a picture of poop in my workout log?

Yeah I have made my own version of lara kind of bars. They're yummy and they look like poop.

Tuesday:

No workout realy, just a bike commute. Really windy on the way home, going down a hill was like riding through pea soup.

Food:

coffee, soy

a scoop of vega in h20 and some green beans

a piece of bread, a red pepper

zuccini, celery, a veg sausage

a piece of bread, some cherry tomatoes

a couple bites of oatmeal cookie

salad greens and 5 baby carrots

spinach, pepper, and tomato with 2 veg burgers

2 lunabars

5 baby carrots and a couple corn chips

The bread is sprouted grain and flourless, 80-100 calories/slice depending on where I get it.

...why is there a picture of poop in my workout log?
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic, but who cares what it looks like if it's good for you, right?
That's what she said.
I resisted making a poop joke, though it begged to be told.
Aw John, I really hope you rise to the occasion next time.

Tasha, what's your recipe? We really need to know, plus John needs another excuse to indulge in potty humor. I'll post my recipe when I get a sec.

Wednesday:

Nice workout, good energy, probably fueled mostly by April Fool's day mirth.

30 mins elliptical

50+4 mins run

leg band squats

superset db chest press(2@10x20) db bi curl (2@15x20)

superset cable chest fly (2@10x20) bb bi curl (2@20x20)

(went down to 10 lbs on both chests to experiment on rotator cuff issues)

superset seated leg extension (2@60x20) prone ham curl (2@30x20)

(leg extensions up 10 lbs)

seated calf raises (2@45x20)

push ups 3x10

no stability work cuz it was getting late and the ball things were all being used.

Food:

coffee, soy

a scoop of vega in h20 and some celery

a piece of bread some baby carrots

a cucumber

zucchini, tomato, ½ cup garbonzos and a veg sausage

100 cals of oatmeal

coffee, soy

WORKOUT

4 dates

broccoli, red pepper, a veg burger

a lunabar and 2 mambas

a lunabar

way later I was feeling weak so I grabbed a few corn chips and baby carrots whcih made me feel better

Thurs:

13 1/2 hour work day, no workout

coffee, soy

a scoop of vega in h20, 15 baby carrots

a piece of bread and some celery

zucchini, tomato, a veg sausage

a piece of bread and a cucumber

Salad greens and a tomato

A bowl of spinach, tomato, and pepper with a veg burger

2 lunabars

100 cals of oatmeal

Reality check time.

In the afternoon I dropped my cute little vegan sausage patty on a filthy floor. That totally gave me the excuse to start munching on a scone. Omg it was so delicious. So I guess it ended up being a cheat day even though I didn't plan on it. It was yummy and cinnamony and sweet and omg. It also made the upset stomach I've had for a few days feel much better. Sweet sugary carb filled pastry also make me feel happier if I'm stressed or scared or sad or worried about something... or tired.

But in all honesty, when it came time to run, I felt like shit with all that gross wheat slogging around inside me. I know intellectually it's not worth it and it's not good for me. But the reptile part of my brain wants to go get another scone right now and eat it.

Oh yea, one other thing, I felt like a jabba the hut yesterday after my scone episode.

I'm really afraid now that I'm getting myself and my fitness back that something's gonna happen to fuck it up.

I like doing skullcrushers because they're fucking bloody called skullcrushers.

Workout:

30 mins elliptical

50+4 mins running

leg band side walking

superset wide grip pull downs (2@50x20) and tri press downs (2@60x20)

superset skullcrushers(2@20x20) lateral raise (2@5x20)

superset dumbell row (2@20x20) db military press (2@10x20)

(10 more at12.5, use 12.5 next time)

stability platform overhead tri extension 8x 10/10, 20/20, 20/20, 20/20, 20/20

I think those stability tri moves at 8# did more to work my tris than higher weights doing anything else.

Food:

coffee, soy

a scoop of vega in h20, 15 baby carrots

some celery

zucchini, ½ cup garbonzos a piece of bread

munching on scones for about 45 mins with a cucumber

coffee, soy

WORKOUT

A bowl of broccoli and tomato with a veg burger

2 lunabars

3 corn chips

Sunday:

30 mins elliptical

55 mins run

leg band squats

superset seated calf raises (3@45x20) push ups (3x10)

stability platform bi curls both arms, one leg 5# 20/20 20/20 20/20

Food:

Ginger, tomato, celery blended with h2o

A scoop of berry vega & a tbs of cocoa in h2o

coffee, soy, oatmeal (200 c, 8 g pro)

WORKOUT

4 dates

A handful of cherry tomatoes, a bowl of mixed veggies and (225 cal) seitan

4 cups of popcorn

2 lunabars

salad greens, a red pepper, and a veg burger

a larabar

an emergen-c

I don't get it. Another person today asked me if I'm a trainer. I'm not even close to looking like it, wtf. In fact, I think my gut is growing.

My pecs are finally sore again.

Abs day is not my favorite, and I need more concentration on obliques.

Sunday:

25 mins elliptical (really really had to pee)

55 mins run

leg band squats

superset weighted hyperextension (3@10x20) hanging leg raises (3@20)

decline sit ups f/s/s (3@15)

crunch machine (2@60x20)

double crunches 50

side crunches 50/50

push ups 3x10

Food:

Ginger, tomato, celery blended with h2o

A scoop of berry vega & a tbs of cocoa in h2o

coffee, soy, oatmeal (200 c, 8 g pro)

WORKOUT

4 dates

a bowl of cabbage, tomato, pepper and (300 cal) hi pro tofu

a lunabar and a bunch of sugarfree tic tac kind of things

I know I'm gonna need a snack later... hmmmm what to eat

I wish I was more resilient.

Today at work it was just one thing after another coming at me fast and furious. It was thinking on my tip toes and every second adapting to keep a happy equilibrium going for everyone. It was intellectual and emotional work as well. I don't think I got in enough carbs and protein early enough in the day... so when finally around 1:00 there was another switch up, and there wasn't enough nutrition in my system, I just went for the fast easy carbos. I know I could have gotten through without it, but it would have been really uncomfortable. I was tired and sore from the last couple of days work outs, my quads were hungry too.

Potential solutions:

1. Don't work so hard, don't do so much cardio, and possibly be less uncontrollably hungry.

No.

2. Try to gt more carb and protein in earlier in the day so it can be ready to use when I need it.

I've been trying to do this... I am not a morning eater. I'm just gonna have to try other approaches to it.

Today on the treadmill between 20-25 minutes, which is sometimes my hard boring time, I looked down at the clock and thought how it was a terrible thing to wish this run was over... that i didn't want to be wishing my life away. So I watched the clock tick away while I thought about what an awesome thing I was doing... and how good it was that I could run, and how lucky I am to be able to. And how good it felt even though some parts of my body were uncomfortable.

Workout:

30 mins elliptical

a couple mins then 55 min running

leg band side walking

superset wide grip pull downs (2@50#x20) tri press downs (2@60#x20)

superset skullcrushers(2@20#x20) lateral raise (2@5#x20)

superset db row (2@20#x20) db military press (2@12#x20)

stability platform overhead tri extension 10# x 20/20, 20/20, 20/20

Ginger, tomato, celery, kale, 1 tsp miso, I tbs flax blended with h2o

15 baby carrots and some celery

A scoop of vega h2o

Zucchini, tomato, and ½ cup garbonzos, and a veg sausage

3 cookies and a scone

WORKOUT

a bowl of spinach, green pepper, and a veg burger

way way later, a lunabar

Tuesday:

Cycling only, commute + some errands + practicing going hands free. It was hard cuz the headset is loose, and that's onen of the things i can't/don't wanna fix on my own so I gotta wait for some cash flow to get better. Surprised myself though!

Food: (crazy for carbs again, as usual)

coffee, soy

Ginger, celery, kale, 1 tsp miso, I tbs flax blended with h2o

Some snow peas with a scoop of vega + h2o

2 pieces of bread

some cherry tomatoes

Zucchini and a veg sausage

2 cookies

a red pepper

some salad greens and a tomato

a bowl of broccoli and a veg burger

2 lunabars

I wish I was more resilient.

Today at work it was just one thing after another coming at me fast and furious. It was thinking on my tip toes and every second adapting to keep a happy equilibrium going for everyone. It was intellectual and emotional work as well. I don't think I got in enough carbs and protein early enough in the day... so when finally around 1:00 there was another switch up, and there wasn't enough nutrition in my system, I just went for the fast easy carbos. I know I could have gotten through without it, but it would have been really uncomfortable. I was tired and sore from the last couple of days work outs, my quads were hungry too.

Potential solutions:

1. Don't work so hard, don't do so much cardio, and possibly be less uncontrollably hungry.

No.

2. Try to gt more carb and protein in earlier in the day so it can be ready to use when I need it.

I've been trying to do this... I am not a morning eater. I'm just gonna have to try other approaches to it.

Today on the treadmill between 20-25 minutes, which is sometimes my hard boring time, I looked down at the clock and thought how it was a terrible thing to wish this run was over... that i didn't want to be wishing my life away. So I watched the clock tick away while I thought about what an awesome thing I was doing... and how good it was that I could run, and how lucky I am to be able to. And how good it felt even though some parts of my body were uncomfortable.

I love this! The fact that you're able to identify issues and consider alternatives to address them. Rather than taking the "just ignore it" approach.

Yes you're right that more carbs, especially slow digesting low-GI carbs earlier in the morning is going to do the trick. A suggestion I'd give is oatmeal in the morning, first thing outta bed. The trick that I use that forces me to eat a bowl every morning is to measure out the oats and toss them in five bowls at the beginning of the week on a SUN. Then when I wake up the ritual is the grab the bowl run it under the faucet, toss it in the microwave, wait for the beep, then eat.

Also like we've talked about before beans post workout is good or fruits with pectin are a good idea. That way you're getting that slow digesting carbs that'll sustain you until mid-day. As for post mid-day suggestions to ward off carb cravings. I'm not sure if you do a multivitamin or your stance on vitamins in general, but chromium might be something you wanna pop. Either that or something that I've been doing as of three months ago. Horking down a multivitamin with my post workout meal.

All-in-all you've gotta play around and see what'll work for your schedule, your budget, your routine and most importantly your philosophy.

I don't think I could ever eat oatmeal straight out of bed... I have a hard enough time drinking tea. You're so organized though! I'm gonna use your tip for getting some bowls of something ready for something.

My multi does contain chromium ... I try to take it around lunch with food. Do you supplement chromium alot? How does it affect you? I remember reading a while ago now that it might have negative impact on joints so I just steered clear of taking too much.

One of my issues is I sometimes don't get to the gym till late, after a long day... then I workout hard, go home, eat, and around the next afternoon is when the heavy carb cravings hit... body anticipating the next workout, i think. But also, I have this idea now that a lot of carbs are helping me function better at work.

Wednesday:

Workout started so strong, I worked so hard. I started to wear out around running. By the time I got through lifting, I couldn't even pinch the clip on my ipod. I think I was feeling pain more too. Lifting hurt so bad. (Come on baby, make it hurt so good!) And oddly, I had trouble finishing sets of 15# bi curl on the left side. Guess it was just a weird day, but I left there feeling satisfied.

30 mins elliptical

52 mins run (rly rly had to pee)

leg band squats (5 more on each side)

superset seated calf raises (3@50x20) push ups (3x10)

stability platform bi curls both arms, one leg 10# 20/20 (getting late, bis had enough, more next time)

stability platform yoga moves like dancer pose etc

Food:

coffee, soy

Celery, kale, 1 tsp miso, 1 tbs flax, ginger blended with h2o

Some celery

A scoop of vega h2o with 15 baby carrots

Zucchini, tomato, ½ cup garbonzos with a veg sausage & a piece of bread

a red pepper

A cookie and a cucumber

100 cals of oatmeal

coffee, soy

WORKOUT

2 dates

a bowl of green beans and a veg burger

2 lunabars

I don't think I could ever eat oatmeal straight out of bed... I have a hard enough time drinking tea. You're so organized though! I'm gonna use your tip for getting some bowls of something ready for something.

My multi does contain chromium ... I try to take it around lunch with food. Do you supplement chromium alot? How does it affect you? I remember reading a while ago now that it might have negative impact on joints so I just steered clear of taking too much.

One of my issues is I sometimes don't get to the gym till late, after a long day... then I workout hard, go home, eat, and around the next afternoon is when the heavy carb cravings hit... body anticipating the next workout, i think. But also, I have this idea now that a lot of carbs are helping me function better at work.

I consume chromium at 200mg during my 1:30p meal, along with my 10g of spirulina and 10g alfalfa. I've found that it helps when I'm reducing my carb intake. At that time I make a transition from carbs to fats, if I don't take the chromium, after mid day I feel this insatiable hunger. It's probably due to the slight drop in blood sugar that causes the hunger from the switch from carbs to fats. Or it could be that I'm also reducing my caloric intake for the rest of the day. I either do that or do what I did before which is to transition from carbs into insoluble fiber then to fats.

You should seriously consider starting off with 1/3 of a cup of oats in the AM and see if you can woof it down. 1/3 of a cup should be cake. Then if you want to add more cals without adding more oats, use soy, almond or rice milk as an alternative to water. Also a suggestion would be drinking some fruit juice alongside your oats, but it will impact your blood sugar levels. Then attempt 2/3 of a cup. I myself have difficulties with 2/3 of a cup some mornings. Although on nights that I go to bed contemplating stuffing my face. I remind myself that there are oats waiting for me in the morning. That seems to work for me since I'm in the mindset of 'rewarding' myself. I 'reward' myself with a bowl of barley post work if I had an intense workout session. If not, smaller bowl. That method is also smart since not doing optimal caloric/carb/glycogen depletion doesn't deserve optimal caloric/carb/glycogen replenishment.

Ok my bad, didn't realize I was rambling that much on your blog. Hit me up if your interested.

You never ramble, you always have such awesome advice. But if you did I would say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BDc5VbKJ0

I either do that or do what I did before which is to transition from carbs into insoluble fiber then to fats.

Details?
I myself have difficulties with 2/3 of a cup some mornings. Although on nights that I go to bed contemplating stuffing my face. I remind myself that there are oats waiting for me in the morning. That seems to work for me since I'm in the mindset of 'rewarding' myself. I 'reward' myself with a bowl of barley post work if I had an intense workout session. If not, smaller bowl. That method is also smart since not doing optimal caloric/carb/glycogen depletion doesn't deserve optimal caloric/carb/glycogen replenishment.
Yeah that could seriously work for me. But just thinking of it makes me want to run away.

Ok

Thursday: 13 hour work day, had to get rly dressed up so not even a bike commute. Diet was decent except we lost someone and I used massive carbs mid-day to help me cope/think. I hope I didn't use it as an excuse, don't think I did, but it's possible. Something to keep an eye on.

Friday: Sick. I actually went to the gym and parked but I couldn't get out of the car. Muscle cramps were intense, all over my body, in places I didn't even know I have muscles. Also rly rly bloated. It was odd. I ate whatever my body told me too, ended up at ~1400 calories.

Saturday: Came back relatively strong, though still feeling bleah.

Workout:

30 mins elliptical

55 mins running

leg band side walking

superset wide grip pull downs (2@60#x20)added10# and tri press downs (2@60#x20)

superset skullcrushers(2@20#x20) lateral raise (2@5#x20)

superset dumbell row (2@20#x20) db military press (2@12#x20)

stability platform overhead tri extension 10# x 20/20, 20/20

woulda done more but H was outside waiting

200 cals of oatmeal with coffee, soy

WORKOUT

2 dates

a sccop of vega in h20

520 cals of popcorn

a luna bar

a quarter of voodoo donut with cookies on top <3

a bowl of green beans and a veg burger

I either do that or do what I did before which is to transition from carbs into insoluble fiber then to fats.

Details?
Carbs to fiber to fats transition in a 5 to 7 meal plan is something like the following:

Meal 1: Carbs

Meal 2: Carbs

Meal 3: Carbs

Meal 4: Fiber

Meal 5: Fats

or

Meal 6: Fats

Meal 7: Fats

A fiber meal might be something heavy in spinach, green beans, cabbage, kale, bok choy, broccoli, etc. Basically non-grain sources of vegetable fiber to slow down the digestion and assimilation of sugars and then a transition into fats. And of course fat sources are well known in this community with nuts and seeds being the key. Note that avocados are a great fiber to fat transition as it contains both fiber and fat.

Where do you concentrate your protein in that scheme? Thread throughout? Blast it after weight training?

I'm glad you're so consistent with your log.

Other wise I would be missing you more.

Don't forget your flax !

I miss you too. I keep catching myself looking for you sitting on those lockers.

Teaspoon and a half of flax this morning. Yeah Buddy!

This kept me going today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAR_4Mwgzc

Workout:

30 mins elliptical

55 mins run

leg band squats

superset weighted hyperextension (3@10x20) hanging leg raises (3@20)

decline sit ups f 2@10#*10 s 2*10 s 2*10

crunch machine (3@65x20)

double crunches 50

side crunches 50/50

superset stability platform db military press (3/3@10#x20) push ups 3x10

Kale, tomato, ginger, flax, h20 smoothie

200 cals of oatmeal with coffee, soy

WORKOUT

1 date and a lunabar

cabbage, tomato, pepper with 2 veg burgers

4 cups of popcorn

a luna bar

another lunabar

560 calories of lunabar, bleah how junky.

I should eat more today, but meh, maybe tomorrow

Oh yeah how could I forget about hanging out on top of the lockers. lol

You wanted my recipe for the bars

Easy breezy. I soaked dates and almonds over night.

you can use a processor or blender. Blended dates and the almonds separately. a dash a cinnamon.

Oh and be ready for sticky hands because you use your hands to roll the bars.. then stick them in the fridge.

I just winged the recipe's measurements

but if you want to get technical

It's

1/4 cup of Date, 1/3 cup of Almonds. 1 tbs of Cinnamon.

You don't necessarily have to soak them either.

Where do you concentrate your protein in that scheme? Thread throughout? Blast it after weight training?
I add protein isolates starting at meal 3 thru 7 which is basically post workout until bed. To be completely honest, the grain and vegetable sources of carbs and nut and seed sources of fats are going to have protein already in the mix since we are talking whole foods here.