This is really fun

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep there's not much to keep you occupied on it, plus i think tea machine smells really bad. i should just clean it today.

lb, let me know if you got chocolate mint flavor, i'll be there in 2 hours.

Sunday:

swimming!

couldn't really kick, it hurt, so i just worked on my stroke. Awesome practice for long stretches, i could really work on details. Really sloppy at first, kind of on purpose, swam like a maniac. My new goggles are the shiz, they make life in the pool so much nicer http://www.tyr.com/shop/tracer-racing-p-849-c-68_70_71.html

Workout 1

swim: 30 mins fs 10 mins bs w/floatie

Workout 2

1 hour legs/obliques circuit

i really appreciated being able to focus on mostly my legs, i feel like it's getting me ready to hit the road, it got my heart going, and it felt really good. i worked to failure a couple times, also doing oblique move w/ 10# db

Food:

coffee/soy

SWIM

2 scoops protein, tsp flax

200 cal oatmeal

coffee/soy

GYM<<< 2 scoops protein

some macadamia nuts

500 cal tofu, eggplant, random other veggies

builder

go free

builder

yeah me too, i'm pretty sure it's ok, just extra sore. if it doesn't feel better i'll see the doc again. i'm really an idiot.

i was thinking this morning about how when i started this log i made sure to focus on victories to keep myself going... positive reinforcement , etc. but i am just not seeing too many positives these days. i try to keep my head up, stay smiling, do what i need to do, have ed helping me, kick the ass of whatever needs kicking, but in reality, i am a bad grumpy patient, and i dont take to the sick role very well. i feel like i am de-training in all aspects of my fitness, carrying extra water, exra fat, the stress of this is making me look less happy, god only knows how all these freaking calcium bears are affecting my kidneys, and this stupid boot is starting to smell like the gym. i'm sick of wearing the clothes i am stuck wearing because of it, and i miss my bike. i really really miss my bike alot. my motto is the bike makes everything better. then it became the bike and juanes make everything better. now my motto is hurry up and heal you stupid fucking broken foot.

god i am such a baby. lucky thing it's not anything less manageable than a broken foot. a broken leg would see me slitting my wrists. i'm gonna make a terrible elderly invalid, i just hope if i get alzheimers it's the kind that makes me obliviously unaware of what's going on around me. someone plz just make sure my toes get a pretty colored pedicure even though i won't know the difference.

blah i needed to get that out. a guy at the gym said, everyone is saying, really, that i should wait 8 weeks b4 running instead of 6 to make sure i don't fuck anything up. i think im gonna agree. but i am going batshit fucking insane.

i don't know, we'll see.

i know that one of the biggest challenges of this whole thing, even more than training while my foot is down, is gonna be getting back up to speed and knowing how and when to push myself. i need to come up with some guidelines for distinguishing pain, soreness, and fatigue, and figure out when enough is gonna be enough. i know the fatigue part of it won't be a static variable. that's gonna be the tough part. fml.

Tuesday

was gonna just do legs but there were dead eyed zombies hogging up the very few machines i'm limited to.

30 mins arm bike

1 hour legs with a a little shoulders and abs thrown in

30 mins arm bike

i think i feel better now

/rant

was gonna just do legs but there were dead eyed zombies hogging up the very few machines i'm limited to.
You should of used that funky foot to lure a few away from the machines then with the quickness dart back to the machines. Or you could of lured them away then beat them down with your funky foot-fu!

I tried it. It worked.

Thursday:

14 hour work day, no physical fitness

Friday:

elliptical!

the cybex elliptical is the only one i can manage for now. I have to go rly slow or the boot snaps my leg out, and i have to angle my broken foot out which i am sure is not good for my hips, and my old knee injury started complaining after 17 minutes, but it felt rly awesome. I could move to music, it was great, slow but great. i had to pace myself exactly this slow but it was still great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3wiU7VTAU

30 mins arm bike

10 mins elliptical

shoulders (jarvek) abs and legs w/ ed plus some more after that

20 mins elliptical

i am so lucky that ed can help me with this. he knows exactly what to do, and he knows how i work. he's so fucking cool. I couldn;t be doing this without him.

Definitely.

Saturday

I ended up dedicating the afternoon to swimming. I still couldn't kick so i used a floaty between my legs which made alot of me stick out of the water which made me get cold rly fast cuz i couldn't use the muscle groups in my legs to generate heat. i went from the pool to the hot tub to warm up back and forth for about 2.5 hours. i lost count of distance. fs is improving alot. 5-6 spb, no idea how that happened. then i went to the other gym and did chest and bis. i didn't think i went too hard on the pecs but aparently i dud cuz it's monday morning and im still sore.

workout:

swimming

chest bis

food:

i forgot, but i do know it was ~125 g carb and something like 1500 cal

Sunday:

killer. worked up a good sweat, even on the arm bike. this could be because i am detraining and everything is getting harder. i could go a little faster on the elliptical without snapping my knee out... it seems to be all in maintaining a semi-squat. idk but i feel like i am getting myself back. first workout since i broke my foot that i felt like i even came close to hitting it.

30 mins arm bike (r 6 ~130 bpm)

20 mins elliptical

shoulders (jarvek) legs, obliques/abs

20 mins arm bike

paced on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YutsXRzQjck

food:

2 scoops protein

200 cals oatmeal

4 rice cakes, coffee/soy

WORKOUT

2 scoops protein

chamomile with a little agave

300 cal tofu, artichokes, green beans, broccoli, builder bar

go free bar, lunabar

lunabar

monday

elliptical again! i won't be able to do this every day with the boot on, knee was unhappy for the first 20 mins then it must have warmed up or my glutes must have or something cuz it stopped hurting, i think the trick is to do it in a sort of squat. the second round my hips were way too off to go more than 20 mins. still slow but it felt pretty good to get moving.

30 mins elliptical

back/tris endurance ~1 hr

20 mins elliptical

food:

am carb blitz

pretty much, the kind shaped like a dumbell. the problem with it is that it makes me float so much that being part way out of the water makes me get cold really fast. it really does free you up to work on the stroke though huh... i would love it if the water or the air was warmer. how often do you train with it?

When I was in swim class we used it a couple times to work on our stroke. That just ended so I'm training on my own (or will be when comps are over), hopefully 3x a week. I'd like one day to really focus on form and drills where I would use things like the pull buoy, and then the other 2 days to work on endurance because mine sucks so badly.

P.S. That sucks about the water temp...the place where I was taking classes is the warmest pool in the city, it was so nice...like swimming in a hot tub. But now I am going to the university pool which isn't nearly as warm and has salt water...maybe that will cure my problem of ingesting too much water when I breathe, it tastes terrible and makes me ill.

last year i barely trained with it. the advice i got was since i already had so much upper body strength and i had such a short time to train, i should work on straight endurance and speed. it worked, i finished well. but now i do see that my speed and efficiency can be really increased by working on perfecting that stroke. i hope they warm up the pools some more though it's pretty unbearable. you'll swallow less water the more you swim, don't worry.

thursday:

30 mins elliptical

food:

omfg, as my friend said, it felt like i swallowed a baby whale. overall, i don't think i overate that much, but my body isn't used to such rich food. there was so much food for dinner we couldn't even fit it all on the table.

friday:

30 mins elliptical

shoulders, legs, obliques

30 mins elliptical

food:

2 scoops protein

100 cals oatmeal

coffee/soy

WORKOUT

2 scoops protein

a brazil nut

300 cal tofu, salad greens, 2 go free bars

go free bar

a few spoons of soy dream

saturday:

30 mins elliptical

hour of abs

15 mins elliptical

food:

2 scoops protein

200 cals oatmeal

coffee/soy

WORKOUT

2 scoops protein

300 cal tofu, artichokes and kale

2 builders

a few spoons of soy dream

a swig of martinelli's

Sunday-

workout1

an hour of back and tris endurance

workout 2

30 mins elliptical

some leg band squats (not good on the foot)

10 min stationary bike >100 rpm ~150-175 watts

bike felt ok

food:

coffe/soy

WORKOUT

2 scoops protein

200 cals oatmeal

coffee/soy

WORKOUT

2 scoops protein

3 rice thins, some homous and baba ganoush, an apple

some peppermints

green salad, 300 cal tofu, builder bar

lunabar

go free bar

a swig of martinelli's

wow that was alot of food

Monday:

still early but i want to get down my thoughts on training today, i won't train anymore today.

stationary bike, 30 mins

>100 rpm ~175-200 watts

my first sustained effort on the bike after the break. i warmed up on the elliptical first. the first 15 was a good hard effort, but i was pretty much pedaling with one foot. i left the toe strap really lose. so i tightened it down and went to work on my pedal stroke. it was hard. i didnt want to use my left leg, i didnt want to pull with my left foot, so did 2 or 4 minute intervals of really hard effort, took it down to about 125 watts for the minute rest. i got really weak. my calf muscles are shit. 4 weeks. i could take it to the street but i don't really see the utility in it at this point. i put my bike in the shop so i wouldn't be tempted to ride it. i'm gonna leave it in there at least another week.

i need to work on:

even pedal stroke

suplesse in general

getting my calf muscles back, i don't really know how to without using my foot.

once i tightened the strap down, my foot did hurt a little. idk maybe it's too early. i'll try again and see what happens. maybe it's just normal soreness and i'm not doing any damage?

i did work up a good sweat though. it was my first drenching, snorting, huffing puffing effort in a long time. it felt fucking great.

need to get back to it.

tuesday

i think my biceps are getting stronger. not necessarily what i need, but it's pretty cool. they never get DOMS but they always hurt when i work em.

30 mins staionary bike

chest, bis, abs

20 mins elliptical

negatives too, always fun

a little improvement on the bike. first 15 sustained just under 200 watts i think using both legs better than yesterday. second 15 did intervals between 225-250 watts, it was hard at first but the work got easier. i think there are at least 2 things going on, i have to get my fitness back and i have to find my moves again too. i might try the calf press tomorrow with light weight. break is a little sore from yesterday, i ended up having to walk up a steep hill that the angle tweaked my foot on. i don't think i re-injured it, my doctor friend is assuring me everything should be pretty much cemented in place now. i would feel more confident if it didn't still hurt at times right where it broke. def not ready to try running, still can't walk right. but i can bike a little

felt so good to really sweat

I just browsed the last couple pages to see whatcha been up to and I'm so sorry to hear about your foot!! How's that comin along? I'll read more when I have time but from what I've seen I've been impressed with your ability to push through this obstacle and still get your workouts in!!! You should be so proud of yourself for that!!!!

Have a great day