This is really fun

tuesday:

normal commute plus a little extra

50 min training spin (with tough intervals)

back/tris/abs-obliques (5 rounds)

seated db shoulder press 20x15,20,20

face pulls 20x7,7,7,14

the ride home was nonrainy! it felt so nice. i forgot what it was like. a total pleasure.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday:

There was no wind.

I went out in my kit and no wind after a normal amount of hours at work and I felt SO FAST. I don't know if I really was or not, but no wind such a welcome change. No rain either!

commute

25.5 mile ride (inc The Hill)

abs/obliques 3x20 pushups (knees... still afraid to do it on my feet)

speaking of my foot, it still hurts a little, but not as bad as last week!

@ jv: thanks. i can really take that advice to heart now. that last episode kind of put a scare into me. i do not want to be in a cast again anytime soon!

@ms: i want a garmin! partly cuz they sponsor a bad ass bike team. but also i just want a garmin. i have a feeling that i'll lose anything that's not a garmin. so i'll get a garmin.

@jx: moo

@lb: thanks buddy. i got over myself and did it. i think your good luck wishes helped very much with that. race report soon.

thursday:

regular commute plus walking in the hail and snow with a flat. i think it toughened me up. good conditioning.

friday:

full rest. was gonna go for a short spin to open up my legs but i fell asleep instead, which was nice!

food:

tomato, celery, 1 tsp miso

2 scoop protein, 1 tbs flax, ginger

2 scoop protein, 1 tbs flax, ginger

coffee/soy

primal strip

a brazil nut

some popcorn

~500 cal tofu, broccoli, a tomato

a whole thing of almond dream ice cream (unbelievably delicious) a builder bar

some more popcorn and an apple (maybe 2 apples, i forget, but i think 1)

1/2 scoop luna sport electrolyte mix (jury's still out on this strategy)

some swigs of soymilk out of the carton

I have some questions about your food if you don't mind:

When you say miso, do you mean the soup? If not, then what is this product?

What's a primal strip? Is that a product from the Primal Diet thing?

What is the benefit of the brazil nut? and why just one?

Thanks!

gotta get a garmin

saturday:

food:

coffee/soy

100 cal oatmeal

ginger larabar

6 cliff blocks

RACE

2 apples

2 scoops protein, 1 tbs flax

primal strip

a brazil nut, a few pumpkin seeds, 2 dried apricots

2 cups popcorn

500 cal tofu, broccoli, carrot, builder bar, thing of almond dream ice cream, a few pumpkin seeds

apple, soymilk out of the carton

Race report

The night before the race I was so nervous I almost called it off. I was spooked! This woman I know warned me about how tough the course was. Then I looked at the elevation profile, it looked crazy! I was sketched out by dangerous early season riders, and I didn't get to train quite the way I wanted to during the week... I wished I could have gone for a ride on Thursday. But I was feeling rested. And a pep talk from a really good pep talker had me feeling ok. It was just gonna be a training ride. A training ride. Train through it. Plus the carpools were arranged on how many racers we had, I didn't want to mess that up. Got lost on the way down, of course. Had to pee like a racehorse!

Got to the course and it was COLD! Rode the trainer about ten minutes. It was so cold it was hard to stand outside. But i think it warmed up right about the time I embrocated... or else all that embrocation in the parking lot had an effect on the weather. Everyone seemed a little nervous, everyone seemed chilly, I felt better. I guess we started out in the 40's. Glad I went with full gloves. Took shoe covers off and went with toe covers, glad I had them. The thermal arm warmers and light leg warmers were perfect till the end.

The peleton was raring to go. I started in the back again, I never fully saw the break, It happened very early. I think this class of women is invested in breaking early, or there are unsmooth riders that try to position themselves with whoever's at front and block. Whatever is the case, a lot of women end up getting dropped. I went in the chase pack again, dropped a lot of riders early. Did ten second pulls. Some sketchiness on the road. The first lap was harder than the second. I didn't warm up enough.

Finished on a hill. I knew it was coming. I unzipped a little more, pushed the arm warmers down, and got ready. When I saw the 1 k sign I took off and sprinted hard. I thought I finished out of the saddle but i guess i finished sitting down! I took first in the chase pack. No idea yet how I placed overall but it was decent.

Left there happy

What I did right:

got myself to the race, gear was good, hydrated well the day before, trained more on hills, longer intervals on the spin bikes, possibly lost a couple pounds, ate alot of ginger the day before and a ginger lararbar in the morning, had a great time!

What I could do better next time:

i think considering the sketchiness of this particular early season field, it will be a good idea to start at the front. maybe warm up longer. take 2 water bottles as it gets hotter or longer, one with nutrition. go in with more hill miles and more watts training. continue to manipulate the power to weight ratio. don't forget the chamois buttr.

all in all, it was great! I love my team.

Always start at the front, if you deserve it. It sounds like you do. What cat are you racing? Sounds like a lower cat, given antics. In my experience (in minnesota) womens races either blow apart (lower cat) or stay together pretty much until the end when the stronger people step up the intensity and kill it.

Either way. Sounds awesome and makes me kinda want to race bikes again this year. Maybe one or two. We'll see.

first in the chase pack...

Left there happy

all in all, it was great! I love my team.

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

Great report VV!

I agree with john nice race report. Oh at my race today I was drooling over the garmins! Actually it was good that people had them because on the official race results they just posted on the internet. The amended the course to say it was actually a bit longer than a 5k. So now I feel a little better about my time. I always have to pee before a race even if i just went it is a that adreneline thing! nice job!!!

thanks jv and lobs

lb: thanks for all your help.

jx: if the bike is calling you... the bike is calling you! thanks for the advice/insight.

ms: maybe we can get garmin to sponsor vbbf competitors, eh? i would wear a garmin logo if they gave me some swag! would you?

I have some questions about your food if you don't mind:

When you say miso, do you mean the soup? If not, then what is this product?

What's a primal strip? Is that a product from the Primal Diet thing?

What is the benefit of the brazil nut? and why just one?

Thanks!

No I don't mind at all

Usually in this log when i say miso, i mean miso paste. So that morning, i put the miso, tomato, and celery in the blender with some water and made a kind of smoothie. I uually make it spicy with cayenne or something. I like it alot.

Jason knows primal strips! They're kind of junky and they come with way way too much packaging, but they're pretty decent for what they are. 99 cals, 10ish g of protein, not bad for junk food! vegan essentials has em http://store.veganessentials.com/primal-strips-vegan-jerky---1-oz-strip-p652.aspx

one brazil nut is supposed to contain one day's daily requirement of selenium. so it's a good excuse for me to eat one because i love them! ... but usually only one because they're so high calorie.

Sunday:

50 mile ride. Didn't start out as a recovery ride but it ended up like one. I kind of turned myself inside out the day before at the race. Plus i thought i was sucking more gel out my flask than I actually was, so since I didn't eat breakfast, and I stared with gel, the first part of my ride i was dragging ass. Then I ate some cliff blocks and felt better. Got home and realized I only took 1/4 of a serving of gel. Silly me.

coffee/soy

RIDE <<< 6 cliff blocks, a dab of gel

2 scoop protein, banana, orange, ginger smoothie + 3 or 4 cups popcorn

2 scoop protein, 1 tbs flax, ginger smoothie

primal strip

portobello, asparagus, 3 veg sausage, thing of almond milk ice cream

builder bar

Monday

it felt great to get back in the gym again. I was ready to lift! The spin class hurt, but I didn't even get near the point of nausea. I need a little quad recovery. I ate like a pig in the morning, and then didn't really eat so much in the afternoon, that may have had something to do with it. Ate like a maniac when I got home. I'll try to be a little more deliberate today.

commute

50 min spin class

chest/bis/abs (5 rounds)

bi curls standing on the ball 3x20x5

note to self:

don't forget the cal-mag tonight

Tuesday:

vegasport pre-workout. i guess it was good because i ended up sweating so amazingly much, but i ended up with a sugar crash so i ate some mints and a lolllipop.. i'm tired. what i needed was coffee.

workout:

commute

50 min spin class

back/tris/obliques (5 rounds) plus some more abs/obliques

standing med ball balance w/ overhead db press 20x5 arnold press 20x5 overhead db press 20x5

mid row 4x20x?,?,?,50?

yep it was a blast!

thursday:

regular thurs commute

friday:

commute

36.79 mi ride Hill2x

Food:

coffee/soy

some melon

lunabar

2 scoop protein/banana smoothie, larabar, mouthful of cashews