This is really fun

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. John , I debated for a long time whether or not to take any ibu. I don't know if I made the right decision but for today I decided against it so I could feel exactly what it's doing. I figured, since I rode home a ways on it yesterday, I needed to feel what's up. Also, because I mostly pedaled with one leg on the way back, I wanted to see what was up with my other side. I know I missed the initial window to hit it hard with anti inflammatory, but I might start that therapeutic dose if its raining tomorrow, it's not better, and I decide not to ride. The plan today was to swim, but I didn't want to kick with it. It's my vastus lateral, and it doesn't like kicking or pressure right now. I'm icing right now.

Paige! It's funny you should mention the foam roller. I actually buckled down and got one of my own today, thanks to Lobster and some in-town friends! You must be psychic! It won't help this particular thing, but it will help in the future. I know I should foam roller more often. Maybe if I did this wouldnt have happened.

I woke up this morning and it hurt before i got out of bed. It's actually better now.

1/29

20 minutes tread walk

3x3x20 supersets of lats and tris plus other randoms like a little seated rowing

20 minutes tread walk 5 mins backward hurt so i did the rest forward.

I'm glad this happened at the beginning of a rest week, but it's still super depressing anyways. I think it will be better in a couple days on its own. It doesn't matter what I think. It will be better.

Hi C.O. Thanks! It's fun going back and reading through it.

John, you made me laugh.

Tuesday, 1/31 yay I logged every day so far this year!

Took the day off the bike and foam rollered, stretched, yin yogad, and ran. Still a bump where my quad hurts. But I ran anyways, I gave myself checkpoints along the way to consciously scan my legs and notice what was going on. I didn't want to tweak my other leg by favoring the owie one. Sure enough, it started, so I slowed down a bit and concentrated on form.

4 mile run

coffee

run

protein, tangerine

broccoli, rice, 2 lunabars

pretzels wrapped in snow pea pods

2 dates

broccoli, 2 veg patties

chia/protein w/ dates chopped in

Yin yoga is love! It feels really good to me, like it's just what my body needs. It feels very healing and restorative.

2/1

30 mile

that pesky quad thing was burning, and crampy. i rode it through though, for better or worse. other than that i felt really strong. i tried to remember to ride in the small ring, which was fun!

It actually wasn't to bad today. It must be getting better. I think this happened to me once after after a century. My adductor, same leg, cramped hard, and it hurt like hell and made a lump for about a week after.

2/2

Such a gorgeous day. I had to ride, and I wanted some challenge, but I didnt want to go too hard. Plus tomorrow might be a rest day, depending on weekend plans that aren't quite planned out yet. But maybe not. So I didn't want to go too crazy cuz I could do that tomorrow. Plus I kind of ran out of time cuz of work. So I just did hill repeats for about an hour.

coffee

oatmeal, rasins, hemp

ride

tofu, celery mustard, yeast

larabar

larabar

commute

3 grape leaves, 2 veg patties, mixed veggies, yeast

chia/protein/raisin pudding with a lot of raisins. way too many raisins. they were so good though! maybe i'm anemic haha

Thanks for contributing so much to this forum. Your journal entries have gotten many others involved in the conversation and I would guess probably motivated others that were thinking about it to actually jump in and start their own. Please continue to share with us all here in your training journal. You are definitely approved for a prize package.

-Dylan

Aw, thanks, C.O.! I hope so! I love how sparks can catch fire like that. I hope it happens a lot!

Lobster have you thought about doing freelance editing? You're hot shit. Celery mustard would be delicious. Unfortunately, that was a typo, not even and oxford comma typo.

2/3

2 hour ride

quad still not right. kind of ran out of time again too. windy as fuck out there today. I kept at about 32 mph consistently in the flats with a tailwind. ride took me over a couple hills, one with a headwind. Trying to remember to drink more water during the day which is hard to do before i ride because i hate stopping to piddle, especially if i have bibs on!

1/2c dry oatmeal, protein, stevia, 19 raisins

ride

tbs of hammer gel to see if it went alcoholic. it did not

7 papadums

6 potato chips, cashews

maybe some dinner in a bit

Edited by vivalasvegans

Yeah it sounds good. It would be easy to make some kind of yummy mustard out of maybe, a nice nutty dark ale and some celery salt.

2/4

4 mile run

I had to will myself through this. Not one of my best days, although towards the end of the run I gathered more energy and felt better and ran faster more comfortably. Part of my issue was I was gonna go fasted, but then my feet froze and got numb, which meant I had to wait for them to thaw out, which meant I got hungry, which of course meant I needed to eat some crappy tortilla chips and a muffin. I never eat like that before training and it made me feel like shit. Also I was tired. I think I'll make tomorrow a rest day!

Yeah I was pretty happy with myself about that!

2/5

REST DAY yipee i really needed it but it felt awkward as expected. Spent a long time working in the cold basement on bikes, then riding in the cold on the back of a motorcycle, then standing around in the cold. I ate a lot of carbs. During the game I ate a really yummy pizza with daiya on it, daiya always makes me feel like i've guzzled ocean water. So one of the great things about today is I learned that two pieces of daiya pizza is way too much daiya! There were a lot of other great things about today too.

Love you too! Ha Ha torture, now why didn't I think of calling it that. Ok maybe i'll skip the sufferasana tomorrow.

2/6

massively windy today. lots of fun. ~35 mile ride

coffee

1/4c dry oatmeal, hemp, 11 raisins

1/4c dry oatmeal/9 raisins, celery, luna bar, protein w/ h2o

pasta w/kidney beans, tamale

broccoli, 2 veg patties, corn & sesame chips

chia/protein pudding

2/7

fun ride ~ 1 3/4 hours hills and rollers

weird day. it was way colder than i thought it would be, than it was supposed to be. i got bonkish even though i ate before i went out. i didn't want to eat while i was out because it would make me colder, so i just stopped and then powered through it. when i came back i put real live actual sugar in my oatmeal. new plan if this should happen again is that i go straight for gel or cliff block, which i will always have with me, and i usually do just in case, because i dont think gel would make me colder like a larabar would.

coffee

oatmeal/raisins/hemp, 4 saltines

ride

oatmeal/apple/rice-gemma/sugar

3 papadums

green beans, cabbage/tofu/yeast

chia/protein/raisins/soymilk

I skipped the sufferasana as well last nite!

hey lobster - i prefer the gels to the blocks because you really have to chew the blocks. but i know a lot of people that prefer the taste and the texture of the blocks much more. To me they are too much work and taste too much like candy. but i say give them a shot if you dont like gels.

OK Mary, sufferasana tomorrow?

I like cliff blocks ok. I agree with Mary, they're like gummy candy, and most of the time I dont want to chew them if I'm in the middle of something intense. I do like the taste of them but I like them a lot less since I barfed some up one time. I love hammer gel the most. It tastes super good to me when I really need it. I also like the way the packets are shaped for easy mouth ripping on the bike in a hurry. The other thing you could do is get a flask and put some in and water it down to your taste, or make your own. Or you could put a tablespoon or so of it into a water bottle. But if you're gonna do that you might as well use a drink mix, right?

2/8

usual wednesday ride, but i got DUMPED on by rain and the headwinds came back for a spell during it. WHAT A RIDE. I started doing some HIIT which felt good. But for the rest of the day my whole body was on the verge of cramping up, until finally once i settled down at night, a crazy intense cramp in my right adductor. I couldnt walk or move. So either my electrolytes are off or I need more calcium or both.

coffee

1/4 c oatmeal/hemp/raisins

1/4 c oatmeal/raisins, celery, lunabar, protein/water

a few jellybeans, 3 bites fruit leather

tamale, brussels sprouts, yeast, 2 veg patties, raisins

tamarind popsicle, chia/protein/5 raisins

2/9

5k run

commute

crazy busy stressful day. only had time for a short run, but it was with the german shorthair pointer, which meant i had to run like a freakin ferrari at top speed. but i also had to keep stopping to adjust my ipod and the leash. super fun!

coffee, 1/2 cup oatmeal/raisins/hemp

tofu/celery/yeast/mustard, pita bread

coffee

spinach, 2 veg patties, 3 papadums

chia/protein/5 raisins