Large Hadron Collider-Doomsday or the begining of a new age?

Lovegenius

Not sure if anyone else here has heard of it, but it's probably the most important thing going on in the world today.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=67q_2V6xOxE

And here's a different take on it:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYXMqEwRxc

(in the vid it says May 2008, but things changed since the video was made, and it will actually all go down on September 10th)

Edited by Lovegenius

From what little I know about physics and from what I've heard top scientist in this field say, any black wholes that would be formed would not be able to sustain themselves. I think this will be really fantastic when they start it up! I'm all about science and I get all nerdy and excited about stuff like this.

From what little I know about physics and from what I've heard top scientist in this field say, any black wholes that would be formed would not be able to sustain themselves. I think this will be really fantastic when they start it up! I'm all about science and I get all nerdy and excited about stuff like this.

The thing that scares me is there are some very intelligent people who aren't as convinced this is completely safe. The fear is that according to all of what we know and theorize now is what we are relying on, and accepted science has been off before. And the LHC is all but guaranteed to shake up physics as we know it, and in this case a miscalculated theory could mean the end of it all.

comment I left on utube : There's a massive black hole in the center of each galaxy, and we don't even know why. The Big Bang was a phenomenon of a monumental fierce, infinite and unknown power but those guys want to recreate it... very intelligent. And useless, giant telescopes of the next generation that are already being built right now like the EELT and liquid mirror tech will be able to see as far as the very beginning of the Universe.

Of course the scientists of the project will say it's not dangerous or that there's no proof saying it is dangerous. They're obsessed to see the experiment, they don't care about the risks. What they need to do before this machine gets approved is to give proofs that it is not dangerous.

We know that big accidents already happened with new technologies like that : Tchernobyl, Bhopal, GMO’s, spacecraft explosions, etc.

the collision of the particles only seek to create a black hole for one one millionth of a second. Hardly enough time to implode the universe. Also it has been theorized that microscopic black holes pass through earth as well on an irregular basis. They are using a neutrino detector underground to help detect this as well as various things like time shifts expansion of known galaxy and microwave radio signals from the big bang.

I would not be worried. Also when getting into physics anything observed changes meaning perhaps quantumly we are effecting the muons and quarks in this experiment by worrying about it thus causing our own destruction.

3 Questions:

1) Are you an experimental quantum physicist?

2) Do you understand Dark Matter, The theoretical Higgs Boson, Black hole diffusion etc.. from a QUANTITATIVE standpoint including calculating the amount of power needed to generate sub particles through supercollider experiments?

3) Do you know how to build a neutrino detector and further cosmic ray detectors?

If you answered no to any of these questions, then quit worrying and leave these people alone to do their job. Do you really think that the LHC has enough power to generate a black hole capable of destroying the universe? This is just a larger version of previous detectors to enable the detection of subatomic particles with higher energy. The world didn't end last time and it's not going to end now. Hell this thing is waaayyyy smaller than the Superconducting Super Collider destined for the US that got cancelled due to funding issues!

Ha - there is 0 risk of a black hole folks. It is niether a doomsday machine nor the beginning of a new age. Just another step in getting more answers.... and more questions.
You work there ? The authorities and experts of nuclear power plants were saying the samething until Tchernobyl.

Yeah and there wasn't a black hole at Tchernobyl so looks like they were right.

Ha - there is 0 risk of a black hole folks. It is niether a doomsday machine nor the beginning of a new age. Just another step in getting more answers.... and more questions.
You work there ? The authorities and experts of nuclear power plants were saying the samething until Tchernobyl.

Yeah and there wasn't a black hole at Tchernobyl so looks like they were right.

ahahah very funny. Go tell this to the people who died or the ones who survived to radiations with difformities and diseases, to them it doesn't make a difference if it's a black hole or something else .

yes it was funny My point, which you may have missed, is that you're comparing apples and oranges, and know nothing about either.

I do agree, very apples-to-oranges on this one. Comparing a nuclear reactor that had an unfortunate meltdown to something that's designed to help us better understand the world around us is not a valid comparison.

As far as I understand there is no threat. Even if it did make a Microscopic Black Hole it probably wouldn't do anything. Probably just burn out eventually in Hawking Radiation. After all. Over time a Black Hole will get smaller eventually and give off energy( known as Hawking Radiation ). The worst that would happen is that this hole would eat a few atoms before vaporizing.

Even so. There are tons of things happening on the Microscopic level that we don't ever feel. Like Atomic Explosions. Hell. Space is in fact Infinite. So I'd imagine anything on a Microscopic level couldn't possibly harm us.

Hell. We all probably make Black Holes every day by just farting.

yes it was funny My point, which you may have missed, is that you're comparing apples and oranges, and know nothing about either.
What makes you think I don't know anything ? Well you don't know anything about me that's for sure. Who cares if it's different, I'm talking about the dangers involved in new technologies in which we don't know anything. You, me, and the scientists don't know what exactly will happen, otherwise they wouldn't do it. By the way, apples and oranges are both fruits.

What makes you think I don't know anything ? Well you don't know anything about me that's for sure. Who cares if it's different, I'm talking about the dangers involved in new technologies in which we don't know anything. You, me, and the scientists don't know what exactly will happen, otherwise they wouldn't do it. By the way, apples and oranges are both fruits.

Your posts make me think you're not educated on the subject. You don't really say what the risks are. In fact you say 'we don't know anything', which may be true for you. But we(the scientific community) know some things about it:

1. Particle accelerators have a good safety record. Their have been no major accidents. The large hadron collider is simply a larger more powerful version. These concerns were raised about the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider already, and it has been running safely.

2. The blackhole argument has largely been discredited. First it was presented by a chemistry professor and contained inconsistencies. Second if a small back hole was created it would decay very quickly due to hawkings radiation. Aside from these points, higher energy collisions then created by the large hadron collider occur in nature already. If they could create black holes the earth would have already been destroyed by one.

Tell me what the risks are if you know more. But if it's just it hasn't been done before, that's not good enough. We wouldn't be able to try anything new under that logic.

Tell me what the risks are if you know more. But if it's just it hasn't been done before, that's not good enough. We wouldn't be able to try anything new under that logic.

Yes we can evolve without making these giant machines, and yes because it never "been done before" it means risks. Don't worry, without this machine we wouldn't become cavemen suddenly. There's another invention that we (the great scientists) didn't bother about the risks: all what Monsanto created : BPC, dioxin, agent organge, BGH, GMO's, Roundup pesticide, etc. Those were all created and accepted by the "scientists" and put into our environment, and we still pay the price today with our health. I don't like scientists who make experiments on rats and say this help us to learn more about humans, and scientists who build nuclear bombs or the HLC and say this is necessary, as if it was more dangerous if we don't build it. There's other ways to learn things. This is ridiculous, building this thing under 3 countries for billions of dollars, while many countries are dying of hunger.