Creatine gives boost in brain power in vegetarians

Katabatic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm

They gave an amount of creatine that's in 5 pounds of meat, so it's not necessarily in vegetarians, but interesting...

Researchers from the University of Sydney and Macquarie University, both in Australia, tested this by giving creatine supplements to 45 young adult volunteers.

Vegetarians were used for the tests, mainly because meat in the diet is in itself a source of creatine, and it would be difficult to gauge exactly how much an individual had consumed.

The volunteers were split up and given either creatine or a "dummy" pill for periods of six weeks.

Their ability to repeat back from memory long sequences of numbers was tested, and a general IQ test also given to the volunteers.

The researchers, led by Dr Caroline Rae, found that the creatine supplements - at least in the short term - seemed to have a positive effect.

She said: "Both of these tests require fast brain power and the IQ test was conducted under time pressure.

"The results were clear with both our experimental groups and in both test scenarios.

"Creatine supplementation gave a significant measurable boost to brain power."

The researchers found that subjects' ability to remember long numbers improved from a number length of approximately seven digits, to an average of 8.5.

Dr Rae believes that the creatine increases the amount of energy available to the brain for computational tasks, improving general mental ability.

How ironic. So the smart individuals who decide to stop eating what our bodies are not made to eat, become less intelligent after we stop eating meat?

That explains why people on this board just aren't as smart as the average person on T-Nation or Bodybuilding.com forums.

I'm gonna start eating meat again, that's it....

• 3 weeks later...

I think those studies are always interesting, but of course more details are needed to truly interpret it.

Even though I'm a vegan ethically I'm not convinced that a vegan or vegetarian diet is superior. Eating for example certain amounts of wild game or (non contaminated) deep-sea-fish might be beneficial to us, but I don't want to dig deeper on that here....

All I'm saying is that I suggest to be open to everything and that includes that the vegan diet is not neccessarily the healthiest in avery aspect. So I find studies always interesting that deal with dietary features uncommon in vegan diets. Of course, there are a lot of living examples that you can easily live healthy (enough) with a vegan diet, I'm just thinking of the optimum.