Australian 1000 Calorie Burger on Sale this week

sydneyvegan

I actually find the first picture appetizing, but it doesn't make me want to eat it, I want a veggie burger instead. I just like photos of foods and photos about everything. The second picture is horrible though, looks like a burger that have been slaughtered, which shows the truth about what happened to the cow.

About that Australian burger, I repeat the quote : ""Negative publicity from health experts about a “monstrous” four-patty burger has apparently only fuelled demand for the 4520Kj snack, which has gone on sale in Australia this week. "

Thing is most people know that fast food is bad for them and it's the main reason they eat it, it's a sort of masochism. Like smoking cigarettes. Of course they're addicted too. All the grease, and sugar from soft drinks often sold as a combo, have side effects in the body, like the guy in the documentary "Super Size Me" demonstrated he became addicted.

But some people actually think that fast food are good for them. At one of my anciant job, there was this girl that was eating at Burger King everyday for lunch, everyday. She was always asking for 2$ from a co-worker because she never had money (like a junkie would do for her fix) and buy the 2$ special burger of the day. She said that it's the perfect meal because according to her it has everything in it, all the essential nutrients for just 2$ : protein, carb and vegetables. Perhaps she thinking about all the benefits of a poor slice of microwaved tomato and lettuce. And she would never think about the saturated fats and cholesterol. For her this would be superior to an orange or a banana or a carrot, because those have less protein. At least they won't cause death.

People don't want to eat something they know it would be good for them, like a raw carrot. But everything is just a matter of getting used to.

A person commented on YouTube (where we can find some of the most pathetic comments on the web as you may know) about eating meat, he said "I don't want to eat some glutinous patty of vegetal matters" or something like that, as if it was made of ingredients from another planet. VeganMomma showed that the ingredients are clearly listed, it's real foods. But who can say exactly what's in meat, especially hot-dogs, some mechanically mixed and separated unknown body parts. Until the '90's there was brain and sexual organs in weiners. Now there's laws but it would be crazy to think that it's always obeyed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is do the Amy's Quarter pounders taste good? I have yet to find a vegan burger that I absolutely love the taste of.
Make your own ! with tofu, seeds, nuts, flour, spices... Anyway, meat taste almost nothing, like tofu. That's why we stuff so many things between the buns, mustard, ketchup, pickles, etc.

Here's my version that I made today

Two slices of whole grain bread

Two Veggie burgers

1 whole avocado (small), half spread on each slice of bread

A few slices of tomato

Some baby spinach

I'd estimate it contained:

40 g protein

35 g fat ( about 5g saturated)

I love just mashing up kidney beans with chili spices, wheat germs, nuts/seeds some onion or onion powder and form to patties. you can either fry it (with oil) or put in the oven (no oil needed). i usually eat it without bread because we don't have any (real) whole wheat buns here in Sweden. Putting it between to big leafs of salad is awesome or just on a plate with tons of veggies. I used to love bought veggie burgers but now they mostly gross me out because they are so greasy.

Here's my version that I made today

Two slices of whole grain bread

Two Veggie burgers

1 whole avocado (small), half spread on each slice of bread

A few slices of tomato

Some baby spinach

I'd estimate it contained:

40 g protein

35 g fat ( about 5g saturated)

Only 2 Veggie Burgers. Do you have a small stomach?

since Australia is now #1 for obesity, I was surprised to see that it's ranked #9 in the top 10 Countries With the Highest Life Expectancy :

9. Australia: 80.50

All the usual factors relating to prosperity apply here, but the life expectancy of indigenous Australians is about 20 years less than that of white Aussies, due to higher rates of just about every factor that shortens life, including smoking, obesity, and poverty. Incidentally, research suggests that Australia's life expectancy may start falling as obesity reaches epidemic proportions in the land down under.

I find it sad that Native nations around the world had the most natural nutrition until the colonizers came to civilize them, so suddenly they're pulled into a world of drugs, alcohol, fast-food, unemployement, gambling and lottery. It's like that for indigenous Australians and also as I notice where I live with the Inuits and Amerindians. http://health.howstuffworks.com/10-countries-with-the-highest-life-expectancy1.htm

The scary thing is that while levels of obesity are increasing, "food" like this is going on the market and people will buy it.

Obese people often turn to things like weight loss pills to treat the symptoms, instead of getting right back to the cause.

"I'll have two double beef, cheese & bacon heart-attack-in-a-box burgers.. oh and I'd better get a coke zero since I'm trying to cut back on sugar."

If they are stupid enough to eat that garbage, let them get on with it

I think we should take this oppurtunity to create our own vegan 1000 calorie meal, or smoothie.

I am thinking a mega smoothie.I am already hitting 500 cals in one of mine.

I shall return to the laboratory & concoct my evil brew...... muhahaha!!!!!!!

The scary thing is that while levels of obesity are increasing, "food" like this is going on the market and people will buy it.

Obese people often turn to things like weight loss pills to treat the symptoms, instead of getting right back to the cause.

"I'll have two double beef, cheese & bacon heart-attack-in-a-box burgers.. oh and I'd better get a coke zero since I'm trying to cut back on sugar."

Unhealthy eaters are driving up healthcare cost in my country and I'm sick of it.

Unhealthy eaters are driving up healthcare cost in my country and I'm sick of it.

Dude me to. Honestly, I love paying taxes and all that shit but people need to take care of themselves because I don't want to pay for everyones stupidity/ignorance.

Agreed! But lets get back to the original topic of veggie burgers. Yum!

that's funny. I thought the original topic was high calorie unhealthy no-veggie burgers

yeah I was going to post that same video too lol. But what's hard in making a 1000 cals vegan burger ? Of course it is easier with fatty meat and cheese, bacon, etc...but put Veganaise and stack many foods. I'm sure some of the burgers I made are 1000 or more. Maybe not but it's easy to make. I was eating 2 burgers of about 800 cals though. see the burgers I ate recently on flickr http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/2008%20Vegan%20Servings/IMG_4303copy.jpg