organic/free range dairy and eggs

VeganDeVil

My mother has been wonderful in supporting my decision to give up animal products, and even listens to all the research I've done (in regards to my reasons to do so).

She is a full omnivore, but makes a true blue effort to buy local, organic dairy/egg/fish products (she doesn't eat red meat, and has a limited amount of poultry). She never buys anything that doesn't say 'organic', 'no hormones or antibiotics used', and 'free range', and has curiously asked why she or anyone should consider giving any of these up from a purely health perspective.

So, ethical reasons aside, what are the the health concerns I can talk to her about?

She's not supporting dairy farms where mastitis, pus, hormones, or antibiotics are in her milk.... the cows are not being forced to over produce so the quality of milk must be higher, no?

(And I know we're only talking health concerns here, but I have explained that the veal industry is an offset of the dairy industry.)

I've shown her pictures of 'free range' hen farms to show her that that doesn't mean much in terms of quality of life.... but again, health wise, she only buys eggs that have 'organic', 'free range', 'no hormones/pesticides/antibiotics' used. So, why would buying eggs necessarily be bad for her/anyone?

I'm curious about the answers to all these questions as well, if anyone has any insight or links to send me. Thanks!

Health reasons to avoid meat, eggs, milk, etc:

Meat and all animal products like milk and eggs even coming from "good" farms, are survival food. Good if you can't eat plant-based foods because of the area you live in, but it is inferior foods in terms of quality and benefits to human health (less variety of oligo-elements and it's always dead foods that need to be cooked, pasteurized. If you eat raw meat, egg, milk, the risks of infection are too high), just good to survive but not optimal to thrive. Foods in nature provide all nutrients necessary to nourrish humans for optimum health, strenght, stamina and clear mind.

Animal products are also foods of second class, a poor choice to make for nutrition. This reasonning is based on what we call the food chain. The reason why we're on top of this chain is because we don't have any predators, not because we eat animals, should eat animals or should not eat them. Carnivorous animals in nature eat mostly animals that are vegetarians because of this natural law which is the food chain; toxins accumulates along the food chain. Therefore we should chose foods that are at the bottom of the food chain, like fruits, veggies, grains, because they're clean, no toxins accumulated, nourrished by sun, water and soil, and we should avoid foods that are right under our specie in the food chain, like fish, poultry, and their products : eggs, milk, because we find a higher level of toxic products. Fish live in polluted water. Vegans have less BPC and other highly toxic chemicals in their bodies than vegetarians and omnis. If there's chimic pesticides and insecticides sprayed on plants vegans eat, it's a much lower level of chemicals then found in animal products, because of the accumulation in their flesh with all the grains they eat during their life, all those residues goes into their eggs, milk and meat. Therefore, plant-based foods are a superior category of food because they are in lower in the food chain.

Environmental reason : animal farms use 70% of all water we use. Also, all those reasons plus many others: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/08/meat-eating-worse-for-climate-than-transportation.php

"According the the WorldWatch Institute (and an old post of our own) livestock contribute 18% of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, even higher than the GHG emissions from transportation. As part of this figure they produce 37% of methane, which has more than 20 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide. And if that weren’t enough to be concerned about, their manure emits nitrous oxide, 65% of world totals. WorldWatch also point out that in the United States, 70% of all anti-microbial drugs are now given to livestock."

Ethical reason : even if taking milk and eggs from animals don't cause directly their death, it's always what awaits them, because we can't just unleash in nature billions of dairy cows and laying hens after they gave us what we wanted. They will be slaughtered anyway. Finally : one of the ten comandments : thou shalt not kill

Here's some facts related to eggs in this : Free range or not, the level of saturated fats and cholesterol in eggs will always be high :

(From Diet for a New America by John Robbins.)

How frequently a heart-attack strikes in U.S.: Every 25 seconds

How frequently a heart attack kills in U.S.: Every 45 seconds

Most common cause of death in U.S.: Heart attack

Risk of death from heart attack for the average American man: 50%

Risk of death from heart attack for the average American man who consumes no meat: 15%

Risk of death from heart attack for the average American man who consumes no meat, dairy products or eggs: 4%

Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 10%: 9%

Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 50%: 45%

Amount you reduce your risk of heart attack by reducing your consumption of meat, dairy products and eggs 100%: 90%

Rise in blood cholesterol from consuming 1 egg per day: 12%

Rise in heart attack risk from 12% rise in blood cholesterol: 24%

Meat, dairy and egg industries claim there is no reason to be concerned about your blood cholesterol as long as it is: "normal".

Your risk of dying of a disease caused by clogged arteries if your blood cholesterol is "normal": over 50%

Your risk of dying of a disease caused by clogged arteries if you do not consume saturated fat and cholesterol: 5%

Leading sources of saturated fat and cholesterol in American diets: Meat, dairy products and eggs

Amount of cholesterol in an average egg: 275 mg

I think those are stats from the '90's, now it's worse. But I don't agree when he says we reduce 100% of risk to die from heart attack by stop eating eggs, dairies, etc. There's other factors like cigarettes, bad lifestyle, etc.

notmilk.com is authored by Robert Cohen who has been criticized by degreed vegan health professionals for making statements that contradict basic science( Cohen never reveals his own credentials ):

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/cohen_index.htm

pcrm.org has a lot of information about milk and eggs, all of it reliable.

Dr. Jane Plant is a scientist who cured herself of breast cancer by reviewing the research for herself and cutting out dairy. She has several books out about the connection between dairy products and cancer:

The No-Dairy Breast Cancer Prevention Program: How One Scientist's Discovery Helped Her Defeat Her Cancer

There is also "The China Study" by Dr. Colin Campbell.

Oh my gosh, I've been googling Jane Plant. She's wonderful - I'm looking forward to picking up her book. For anyone interested, I found this very inspiring: (an article written by her and passages from one of her books)

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lnotmilk6.htm

Marcina - thanks for the PDF. Above all, ethics!! It's hard to equate de-beaking and eventual slaughter with the ever friendly terms "free range" and "organic"