Sweating

Richard

Weight loss: Sauna is similar to mild exercise, it burns about 300 calories per average session. Regular sauna treatments combined with a healthy diet and moderate exercise will help you lose weight and stay fit and healthy.
I thought it was the opposite. I tought when it's cold, we spend more energy to keep body temperature normal, that's why the body shakes. But when it's too hot, the metabolism slows down, to save energy. And the the only weight loss is from sweat, water.

Weight loss: Sauna is similar to mild exercise, it burns about 300 calories per average session. Regular sauna treatments combined with a healthy diet and moderate exercise will help you lose weight and stay fit and healthy.
I thought it was the opposite. I tought when it's cold, we spend more energy to keep body temperature normal, that's why the body shakes. But when it's too hot, the metabolism slows down, to save energy. And the the only weight loss is from sweat, water.

The heart rate is raised:

Cardiovascular Workout Finnish researchers have reported that the regular use of Saunas helps maintain the blood vessels in a healthier condition. Vessels become more elastic and pliable longer due to regular dilation and contraction from the process of heating and cooling the body repeatedly. Medical research shows the heart rate can rise from 60-70/min. to 110 to 120/min. in the sauna (140 – 150 with more intensive bathing), and can often sink to below normal after the cooling off stage. The heart rate increases in the Sauna create a demand for more oxygen, which in turn burns calories and provides a mild workout for the heart. Regular sauna use not only “trains” the heart muscles and improves the heart rate/cardiac output, but also positively influences the regulatory system. Repeated and multiple sauna “innings” further increase the cardiovascular workout.

We have a sauna at our house, there's a sauna at my bf's home and we have more saunas than you could even imagine. But we also have a lot of obesity here, in Finland. Okay, some of them may not bathe in saunas, but a lot of them do.

But well, I guess the weight loss wasn't the main point. But from my experience I can say that I'm as healty as a goat (finnish idiom).

Btw. You should remember NOT to bathe in sauna, if you have a fever. But there's an old finnish saying that if booze, tar or sauna isn't helping, (your) illness is fatal.

I've been trying out the sauna lately after my workouts & while it does feel good to sweat a little more its just so hard for me to breathe in there. My gym has one of those electric saunas, and I think they may have something to do with my ability to stay in there longer.

How long should a regular session last? As I can usually only stand about 10-15 minutes.

There's a steam room at the gym I go to. I love it, especially if I'm trying to shake a cold. Clears out the sinuses and just feels GRRRRREAT!

Like Tony the Tiger?

I've never been in one before. But it sounds worth while. Maybe it could even help with my skin elasticity and overall improvement on how fast my abs tighten. Possible?

There are different saunas too. I like the dry heat ones, because I can breathe in those. The steam saunas are sometimes a little rough to breathe in. I have been in one that was just right, but I think it was on the cool temperature side of a steam sauna. It was an old fashioned sauna with you getting up and dumping some water on the hot rocks, and I loved the smell of the wooden planks that made up the sauna.

When I was at Michigan Technological University, the Forestry Club had an old old sauna (which we had to build a fire to get it going!) and it was right next to a stream/small river. On Sundays, we would go there to go into the sauna for about 15 minutes (that is all we could stand cause it was so hot!) and then all jump in the river as fast as we could. Of course this was during the winter months up there! Nothing like getting rid of the massive amounts of alcohol (we consumed the Friday and Saturday before ) thru the skin!