Advice on overfeeding? (Endy returns to the forum!)

Endy

Hey all you guys!

I haven't been around for a while, and that's horrible news because I miss you guys! I'm here hoping you all are making progress towards your goals and I'm cheering for all of you.

I've got a question for you. How do I overfeed?

Simple question, but here's my challenge. My natural appetite puts me to barely 1,000 calories a day. When I made a gain of 10lbs over the Summer, I ended up getting most from Clif bars and other sources that are processed, high in sugars, and high in fats. Even then, I was lucky to scrape the 2,000 calorie mark.

After dropping simple carbs, I blend as many starchy carbs as I can now. Tastes horrible, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the goods into my system first before working on taste. Ever since dropping those simple carbs, I've actually been losing weight, reversing a huge chunk of my Summer gains.

Any advice? Would love to hear some.

I have a small appetite too. I probably eat around 1200-1500 calories a day. I blend a lot of fruit in smoothies, with avocado, and eat nuts throughout the day.

If I feel the slightest inclination to eat, I'll eat. If I'm thinking "hmm.. I think I want some food" I go to the kitchen and eat some food!! As often as possible. It's not big calorie stuff.. But eating little bits throughout the day helps rev up the metabolism and increase appetite.

Also, take a little more than you think you can eat. I've been slowly increasing my portion size.

you guys are weird

Your response is weird

you're weird for taking me seriously.

If i were you guys I wouldn't stress it. Slow metabolism is acctually a pretty good thing. Dr Fuhrman (don't know if it is true but he is smart) claims that people with slow metabolism, who stays lean, has an advantadge over other people when it comes to long term health. If you exercise on a regular basis your apetite should increase since the bodys need for nutrients increase. 1000 calories sounds awfully low though, try eating more fats from avocados and nuts (this will also give you a good amount of protein).

Not quite sure. I'm having a very hard time overfeeding while keeping my fat intake low. I can only eat so much oatmeal and pasta in a day.

Why keep your fat intake low? Fat is an essential nutrient, especially if you're trying to gain weight. Fat is very good for you, just avoid saturated fats (super easy if you're vegan) and hydrogenated fats. Avocados, olive oil, flax oil, nuts, these are all fatty foods that are really good for you. I personally feel like crap when I don't eat enough fat, not to mention find it impossible to put on weight/muscle.

Hey all you guys!

I haven't been around for a while, and that's horrible news because I miss you guys! I'm here hoping you all are making progress towards your goals and I'm cheering for all of you.

I've got a question for you. How do I overfeed?

Simple question, but here's my challenge. My natural appetite puts me to barely 1,000 calories a day. When I made a gain of 10lbs over the Summer, I ended up getting most from Clif bars and other sources that are processed, high in sugars, and high in fats. Even then, I was lucky to scrape the 2,000 calorie mark.

After dropping simple carbs, I blend as many starchy carbs as I can now. Tastes horrible, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the goods into my system first before working on taste. Ever since dropping those simple carbs, I've actually been losing weight, reversing a huge chunk of my Summer gains.

Any advice? Would love to hear some.

Significantly increase your consumption of healthy fats would be my advice. Two tablespoons of flax oil provides about 260 calories. Consume that every day, it's really good for you. Eat at least one medium-sized avocado a day (about 300 calories). I like to keep trail mix around the house to snack on, it doesn't make you full but provides many calories. Add a little extra olive oil to garnish the meals you cook. Things like that.

It's difficult to gain lean muscle if you're not also consuming enough fat.

the fact is that your question is contradictory. You can't overfeed if you eat only to your appetite. Overfeeding is eating more than your appetite.

I find it can be easier to eat more calories if you eat while doing other things at the same time, like reading a magazine or watching tv. Instead of just sitting in front of the food. The nutrients are better assimilated when you concentrate only on eating, but you usually stop eating once you're not hungry anymore. If you eat fast you'll eat more also.

Damdam is right, just pour some olive oil or another variety of oil on each meal (quinoa, or salads, everything) and it adds lots of calories without taking too much space in the stomach. But it slows down digestion of proteins.