Favorite Quotes

chesty leroux

I know everyone has favorite quotes. Post them! They can be inspirational, funny, political, whatever!

Here are some good ones:

First,the ones in my signature of course.

Never miss a chance to laugh at yourself, after all you could be missing out on the joke of the century- Dame Edna Everage

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great - Mark Twain

The most violent element in Society is ignorance - Emma Goldman

Love makes the world go round - the powerpuff girls

If we have the opportunity to be generous with our hearts, ourselves, we have no idea the depth and breadth of loves reach - Margaret Cho

Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education- Mark Twain

Those are just a few I have collected. I will post more once some other people post some of their favorites

Sorry. I like more quotes than I thought.....

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

"It is man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him truly a man." Dr Albert Schweitzer

"I'm preparing to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different." Hippocrates

"I am sometimes asked "Why do you spent so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots."" George T.Angell

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first overcome." Samuel Johnson

"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon." Napoleon Bonaparte

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Alva Edison

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." Pacal

"To talk goodness is not good...Only to do it is." Chinese Proverb

"To see what is right, and not do it, is want of courage, or of principle."

Confucius

"Every new opinion at its starting is precisely a minority of one."

Thomas Carlysle

"Anyone can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not easy." Aristotle

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."

Pythagoras

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Killing an animal to make a coat is a sin. It wasn't meant to be and we have no right to do it. A woman gains status when she refuses to see anything killed to be put on her back. Then she's truly beautiful!"

Doris Day

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." Helen Keller

"One is waiting that time will change, the other gets down to it and acts."

Dante

"If we examine what is done to animals in the fields of vivisection and diet alone, the figures are a shocking condemnation of our indifference to others’ right to life and wellbeing. Because animals lack a language we can understand, we listen only to our own thin excuses for treating them so abominably." Jon Wynne-Tyson

"Nothing more strongly arouses our than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own." Robert Louis Stevenson

"Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends." George Bernard Shaw

"Our treatment of animals will someday be considered barbarous. There cannot be perfect civilisation until man realises that the rights of every living creature are as sacred as his own." Dr David Starr Jordan

"Man cannot pretend to be higher in ethics, spirituality, advancement, or civilisation than other creatures, and at the same time live by lower standards than the vulture or hyena." H.Jay Dinsah

"If we hold genuine moral principles about animals, these will not differ in substance from those we hold about human beings ... If humans have natural rights, then so do animals." Roslind Godlovitch

"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research." George Bernard Shaw

Oh, those kinds of quotes:

"When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half." ~Gracie Allen

"Some days you’re the pigeon and some days you’re the statue." ~ Dilbert

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

- Oscar Wilde

My favourite quotes are from south park, they're silly but funny!

Here's a few:

"Why does this happen every month? It seems like right about the same time every month, Kyle's mom gets a hair up her @ss about something, and I always end up getting screwed by it." -- Cartman

"I've learned something, too: selling out is sweet because when you sell out, you get to make a lot of money, and when you have money, you don't have to hang out with a bunch of poor @sses like you guys. Screw you guys, I'm going home." -- Cartman

No, that's wrong, Cartman. But don't worry, there are no stupid answers, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison

KYLE: Hey, what are you guys doing?

BOY 3: We're playing Harry Potter.

CARTMAN: HA!! Fa*s!!

Ironically some of my favorite quotes are from my Father Peter Cheeke. This one is my favorite:

"Do we, as humans, having an ability to reason and to communicate abstract ideas verbally and in writing, and to form ethical and moral judgments using the accumulated knowledge of the ages, have the right to take the lives of other sentient organisms, particularly when we are not forced to do so by hunger or dietary need, but rather do so for the somewhat frivolous reason that we like the taste of meat? In essence, should we know better?

Peter Cheeke, PhD

Author of the textbook; Contemporary Issues in Animal Agriculture 1999

There are plenty more here:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/284

and here:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/quotes.html

-Thin Thin Flat Him

• 3 weeks later...

A few more quotes (when i should totally be studying)

Live life like you are going to die...because you are. -William Shatner

(hijacked from dave noisys signature on veganfitness.net)

I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.

-Jareth- The Labyrinth

It's a good thing I was born a woman, or I'de have been a drag queen. -Dolly Parton

Measure your life in love - RENT

I might be crazy but at least it's really me- the Mad Caddies

• 2 weeks later...

great thread and great quotes! here are some more (i've got a big collection).

animal related:

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men. - Alice Walker

When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when the tiger

wants to murder him he calls it ferocity. -George Bernard Shaw,

writer, Nobel laureate (1856-1950)

As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he

always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all

men were Nazis. -Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer, Nobel laureate,

(1904-1991)

other:

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is

no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. -Buddha

People rarely win wars, governments rarely lose them. People get

killed. - Arundhati Roy

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. -Voltaire (1694-1778)

Whatever women must do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult. -Charlotte Whitton

The newer people of this modern age are more eager to amass than to

realize. - Rabindranath Tagore

When I see an adult on a bicycle I have hope for the human race. -

George Orwell

I manifest the future, the present followed by the past. Everything

in nature, rules by kickin ass. KRS-ONE

More die in the United States of too much food than of too little.

-John Kenneth Galbraith, economist (1908- )

"It has often been said that power corrupts. But it is perhaps equally important to realize that weakness, too, corrupts. Power corrupts the few, while weakness corrupts the many. Hatred, malice, rudeness, intolerance, and suspicion are the faults of weakness. The resentment of the weak does not spring from any injustice done to them but from the sense of inadequacy and impotence. They hate not wickedness but weakness. When it is their power to do so, the weak destroy weakness wherever they see it."

- Eric Hoffer