the wolf 5 weeks out!

Aye, I agree, VE. I never said those guys/gals wouldn't be big/strong without the drugs or that they do not need to train hard. But those drugs take them to a superhuman level, which is, to me, hilarious and absurd. Granted, most of the top people in pretty much any sport are using drugs, but that doesn't change my opinion a tiny bit. Good thing that my role models are our own monsters from vbb.com and vf.net.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m a little bored of this "he takes steroids"discussions!

I agree! I'm a bit of a libertarian on this issue...as long as they are only affecting themselves, then who really cares.

Since everyone knows that anything goes in the IFBB, it's really an equal playing field, just as natural competitions provide an equal playing field to people who want to abide by those rules.

I used to work out at a gym that had a lot of roids, and no one there looked anything like the pros, even though some people were really doing some impressive workouts. I think it's easy to underestimate the other factors that Robert mentioned: time, dedication, genetics.

Anyway, the Wolf does look really good. I can't wait for this years O (I wish I could go)! I bet it'll be:

1) Jay

2) Phil Heath

3) Dexter

4) the Wolf

5) Tony Freeman

Of course, a lot of it depends on what Jay brings, and I think you could make a concievable case for names 1-4. But since the Wolf seems to be looking pretty good, maybe that would give an edge to the big guys, meaning a battle between Jay-the Wolf-and Phil Heath? I don't know.

I agree! I'm a bit of a libertarian on this issue...as long as they are only affecting themselves, then who really cares.

Since everyone knows that anything goes in the IFBB, it's really an equal playing field, just as natural competitions provide an equal playing field to people who want to abide by those rules.

Thats exactly the point! I cant understand why people act so rude against people, who use substances which only affect themselves... I remember a quote from "bigger stronger faster":

"My morals arent your morals and your morals arent my morals! So who I am to judge you and who are you to judge me?"

People are doing all kinds of things which are useless and dangereous, like car races, smoking, rock climbimg or bungee jumping. And why? Because for those people this sometimes means quality of life

Thats exactly the point! I cant understand why people act so rude against people, who use substances which only affect themselves... I remember a quote from "bigger stronger faster":

"My morals arent your morals and your morals arent my morals! So who I am to judge you and who are you to judge me?"

People are doing all kinds of things which are useless and dangereous, like car races, smoking, rock climbimg or bungee jumping. And why? Because for those people this sometimes means quality of life

How about because when these people that abuse drugs get liver or kidney failure, they steal livers or kidneys (already in limited supply) from people who have done NOTHING abusive to themselves, but maybe inherited a disease that results in liver/kidney failure and need a transplant.

They are not only affecting themselves, they are affecting everyone through dietary and poor health choices.

These guys look absolutely awful. If bodybuilding is about roids, cheating, etc. - it's definitely not what I want to be a part of. Besides, what's so damn exciting about seeing an absurdly muscular guy and knowing that if not for drugs, he would be nowhere near that size? "Wow, drugs worked wonders for this piece of meat." "Yeah, they did." In my opinion, it would be a million times more interesting to see what could people achieve with just hard work, proper nutrition, etc. (i.e. naturaly), instead of looking at a bunch of dumbasses whose muscles got inflated like balloons due to taking toxic shit into their mouths (and veins). It's getting clearer and clearer to me why so many people (including a lot of weightlifters, powerlifters, etc.) despise BBing and refer to it only when joking.

I know people usually see the steroid thing as cheating, and of course it is! But you dont get strong and big muscles just because you take steroids...you have to work and when I say work I mean WORK xD I dont know why eerybody thinks that if you use steroids you get big and muscular without exercising at all xD

These guys look absolutely awful. If bodybuilding is about roids, cheating, etc. - it's definitely not what I want to be a part of. Besides, what's so damn exciting about seeing an absurdly muscular guy and knowing that if not for drugs, he would be nowhere near that size? "Wow, drugs worked wonders for this piece of meat." "Yeah, they did." In my opinion, it would be a million times more interesting to see what could people achieve with just hard work, proper nutrition, etc. (i.e. naturaly), instead of looking at a bunch of dumbasses whose muscles got inflated like balloons due to taking toxic shit into their mouths (and veins). It's getting clearer and clearer to me why so many people (including a lot of weightlifters, powerlifters, etc.) despise BBing and refer to it only when joking.

I know people usually see the steroid thing as cheating, and of course it is! But you dont get strong and big muscles just because you take steroids...you have to work and when I say work I mean WORK xD I dont know why eerybody thinks that if you use steroids you get big and muscular without exercising at all xD

Quite true. And, just as well, it seems that a lot of people turn to steroids once they've reached a good point in their physique where they can't expect much more from training naturally and it's the only way to really take off to the next level of getting huge. For some guys, if adding another 20 lbs. of lean mass will put them in contention for a pro card to compete with the big guys and they either can't get much more size on their own OR don't have the patience to put in a few years' more training to get there, that's the way that they'll go. It's not like someone who has been lifting for 6 months can take something and be standing on the Mr. Olympia stage the following year from fast results

All size/strength/speed sports have been affected by steroid use. It sucks for the guy/girl who wants to compete at the top level naturally, because if they don't have supreme genetics to be the best, they they're already a step behind those who use performance-enhancing drugs. But, that's the way that the game goes these days - if you want to be the top in your sport, you may have to sacrifice your health and compromise on legality of using illegal substances to be the best in the field at what you do. Sad, but that's just the way it goes, and again, I don't forsee this changing any time soon.

one thing that i noticed when looking at these pictures again is that dennis thighs and calves are a lot smaller the cutlers. i still think his physique is more pleasant but that's not really what the judges are looking for

I agree! As long as jay takes part, Dennis wont become first!

Perhaps he could become second this year, Dexter looks perfect but next Dennis he looks like a child

Yeah, those pics of Jay that you posted are crazy! Maybe he'll look like his best ever!

That would be the BEST if Jay, Dennis, and Dex all come in at their very best!

What about Dennis James? Did he fall off the face of the earth? He used to be a top 5 guy in the World I thought. He was always placing hi and then he kinda vanished.

Silvio will do well, Phil...he's competing right? He'll do well....Gustavo...maybe

Melvin looks great too!

Man, only a week away!

I go to Vegas on Wednesday...6 more days!

Yeah, those pics of Jay that you posted are crazy! Maybe he'll look like his best ever!

That would be the BEST if Jay, Dennis, and Dex all come in at their very best!

What about Dennis James? Did he fall off the face of the earth? He used to be a top 5 guy in the World I thought. He was always placing hi and then he kinda vanished.

Silvio will do well, Phil...he's competing right? He'll do well....Gustavo...maybe

Melvin looks great too!

Man, only a week away!

I go to Vegas on Wednesday...6 more days!

Dennis James took one year off, i dont know the reasons, but he doesnt look that good anymore

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6715/bw0276no1.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/581/bw0273cs7.jpg

Here we have a Phil / Dennis comparison

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath204.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20VS20Heath203.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath205.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Alexander1247/IFBBPro/Wolf20vs20Heath202.jpg

Wolf looks almost perfect as a bodybuilder!

Too bad James vanished so quickly! He had one of my favorite physiques. That happens in bodybuilding...here today, gone tomorrow.

Phil is crazy with his arms and calves, but I don't think he has a "total package" quite yet. Soon though.

The answer is 5-fold:

1. Genetics

2. Drugs

3. Dedication, persistence, and determination

4. Lots of training and lots of eating

5. Time

I'd say it's about 8-fold:

1. Genetics

2. Drugs

3. More drugs

4. Loads and loads of more drugs

5. Tons of Supplements

6. Dedication, persistence, and determination

7. Lots of training and lots of eating

8. Time

The answer is 5-fold:

1. Genetics

2. Drugs

3. Dedication, persistence, and determination

4. Lots of training and lots of eating

5. Time

I'd say it's about 8-fold:

1. Genetics

2. Drugs

3. More drugs

4. Loads and loads of more drugs

5. Tons of Supplements

6. Dedication, persistence, and determination

7. Lots of training and lots of eating

8. Time

yeah, i'm more down with this theory. i think it's mostly about genetics and drugs.

although i have to say that, if dennis wolf wouldn't be so ridiculously huge like every other bodybuilder on that level, he would look really good. outstanding symmetry in my eyes.

when i see older pics of bodybuilders from their amateur times i often think that they were looking great back then and still would if they just would have left the drugs beside.

How about because when these people that abuse drugs get liver or kidney failure, they steal livers or kidneys (already in limited supply) from people who have done NOTHING abusive to themselves, but maybe inherited a disease that results in liver/kidney failure and need a transplant.

This is a good point. But on the other hand, kidneys process protein, and excess protein in a diet leads to kidney failure. see what Dr. McDougall says:

Excess protein increases the flows and pressures in the filtering units (called nephrons)—causing the kidneys to wear out and fail sooner. Within seventy years of following the high-protein, Western diet people lose on average a third of their kidney function, but this is inconsequential because of their reserve capacity—as seen by people who function normally after removal of one entire kidney.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_kidney_disease.html

So it may be that steroids allow people to put on another 20-80 pounds of muscle that they would not be able to hold under normal conditions, and to maintain that mass, they need lots of protein, which places stress on their organs. A lot of that protein, obviously, comes in the form of whey shakes. In other words, they're consuming drinks that are 90% (or more) factory processed protein, not protein found in the form of whole plant foods. It just seems to me that if you are so freakily huge that you eat a 14 once steak, 5 chicken breasts, and a few whey shakes per day, you're putting a wrecking ball through your system, regardless of any drugs you may be taking.

In other words, it may be that people can, through steroids, have muscles that go way beyond what nature ever intended may be the primary cause leading to kidney and liver failure. If that is true, (which it may not be), then it seems that taking steroids shouldn't be seen as the main cause, but rather, consumption of excess protein should be.

But then again, according to Dr. Fuhrman, more than 90% of the common chronic illnesses people suffer from are strongly related to improper diet (heart disease, cancer, strokes, diabetes....etc). If that is the case, why moralistically blame bodybuilders who use steroids and criminalize their activities when a person who eats fast food is putting himself/herself at a similar risk of getting a long term health problem? Both end costing the health care system a lot in terms of resources (money and doctors' time).

But then again, according to Dr. Fuhrman, more than 90% of the common chronic illnesses people suffer from are strongly related to improper diet (heart disease, cancer, strokes, diabetes....etc). If that is the case, why moralistically blame bodybuilders who use steroids and criminalize their activities when a person who eats fast food is putting himself/herself at a similar risk of getting a long term health problem? Both end costing the health care system a lot in terms of resources (money and doctors' time).

thats the point, you cant blame bodybuilders for taking steroids, when other people drink alcohol, smoke, drive fast motorcycles, do freeclimbing, eat fastfood and also many doctors say veganism is unhealthy, just like some doctors support steroid use

So people are doing all kinds of things, which are a risk for their lifes