What do wealthy vegans eat?

Jessifly

Yesterday I was talking to someone about how odd the foods are the some people pay extraordinarily ridiculous prices for such as caviar and fois gras. Then he asked "What do wealthy vegans eat? What would be a ridiculously spendy gourmet food for a vegan?" What do you all think? My thoughts are truffles and some raw-food creations or super-foods. But for fun I'm curious about more ideas....

I would think whatever they want

Sure but I don't mean literally what do they eat, I mean what would be the price/delicacy-equivalent of fancy-schmancy foods but vegan...

I looked at the menu for those restaurants you listed Robert and that was exactly what I was looking for, I'm gonna pass on some of of those entree titles to him. He is into gourmet cooking and although he's not vegan perhaps I can be a guinea pig for some gourmet vegan experiments.

Bif always says that the food she buys is so expensive, it's gonna send her to the poor house!

She buys organic papayas that are like $6 a pound or something. She bought a jar of raw tahini for $10 once. She lives in Vancouver and a lot of stuff is overpriced there.

The most expensive items I purchase are wild mushrooms. Italian truffles run in the $50/ounce range but the Oregon truffles are cheaper ($30/ounce) and better, IMO. Many other wild mushrooms are in the $15 to $25 per pound range.

Some oils, especially nut oils such as pistachio can be very pricey.

Robert listed my top 3 restaurants. I think Pure Food and Wine is the most expensive, probably because they base many of their dishes on pricey imported foods (young Thai coconuts, cashews, raw cocoa) - and I always leave somewhat hungry even though I've surely eaten at least 800 gms of fat.

Candle 79 is relatively pricey but the food is fairly consistent and it's a great place to take omnis. The kitchen staff is not always consistent, especially the pastry/dessert chef - but they get their seitan from a guy in Pennsylvania and it's always great.

Millennium is the most innovative, IMO. Having Chef Eric Tucker at the restaurant from the beginning has allowed the quality to remain outstanding since they've been open. I miss being close to New York and would spend a LOT more on restaurants if I was still on the east coast. There are no restaurants in Portland that come close to the quality of the three mentioned - which saves us a lot of money!

Organic produce, regardless of whether or not it is out of season.

I think this depends on where you shop. I just returned from my farmers' market and the conventional was as expensive as the organic produce. Of course, these aren't corporate farms so they don't have the same opportunity for mark-ups. Goes to show you that much of added value of organic food is in the advertising, not the actual cost to the farmers.

Really good question... I'd probably go with some expensive spices, cooking oils, olives, etc... all of which add to the cooking (and dining) experience.

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone spend a week on their vegan groceries / produce? The minimum I'm spending is around $70 and that covers weekly fresh produce, canned beans, etc.

When I have to re-stock on things (soy milk, some spices, whole wheat flour [vega and supplements not included]), I probably drop $150.

All in all, I probably spend $360 a month on food, in the DC area, and that's just for ME.

Maybe I eat too much. Vegan-Oink.

Edited by icarus0720au

At $20 a pound I expect an orgasm out of it.

haha same here!

Really good question... I'd probably go with some expensive spices, cooking oils, olives, etc... all of which add to the cooking (and dining) experience.

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone spend a week on their vegan groceries / produce? The minimum I'm spending is around $70 and that covers weekly fresh produce, canned beans, etc.

When I have to re-stock on things (soy milk, some spices, whole wheat flour [vega and supplements not included]), I probably drop $150.

All in all, I probably spend $360 a month on food, in the DC area, and that's just for ME.

Maybe I eat too much. Vegan-Oink.

I too spend a lot on food. I don't know how much because I don't want to think about it. If I were wealthy, I'd just buy everything vegan that I could get my paws on. Instead of standing at the store and contemplating whether or not I should spend the money now or wait, I could just shop my little veggie heart out. Yay for vegan piggies!

It would be great to not worry about how much vegan food costs. Right now I probably on average spend 50-60 dollars a week on food, and not all of it is the most nutritious food I could buy. But until I make a bit more I have to buy what I can afford! I tend to eat a lot of rice, beans, soy products, fruits, canned foods, vegetables, and cereal. Oh and when I can afford it I try to purchase Vega too.