Is Working Out Everyday Bad?

SeaweedWater

So I've been running everyday for the past month or two and lifting weights every other day or so. I was wondering what you guys' thoughts were on working out everyday and rest periods and all that jazz.

I'm in a mindset right now where I don't feel right if I don't go to the gym at least once or twice a day, but if I could see more results by resting and letting muscles build up or whatever, I suppose I'd consider it.

I think it's important not to train the same muscle two days in a row, and it also depends on your goal. If you're trying to lose weight I definitely think that the more exercise you do, the better. If you're trying to put on weight, then maybe that much running would be counter-productive? But I'm no expert

I'd say working out - in the gym - every day is bad. Training every day is not.

I don't think there is a problem in running every day in itself.

If you combine weights with running though, I wouldn't also run on the same days you are going the gym.

Agreement on what your goals are, and what works for your body.

I will say that you are probably addicted to the endophins that are released while running! I know that I love to run, and for long times!!!! More endos that way!

But since I want to keep my muscle mass, I do not run everyday. I also keep running away on both sides of Leg day (one day for priming to push my heaviest on Leg day, and a day of rest afterwards). I am also leaning out, so I run alittle bit more during the warmer months (love to trail run, not treadmilling!). Well, usually during the winter months, I do no running . But I do EAT alot! Love bulking season!

I workout everyday in the gym, doing say chest and tricep one day then back and bicep then legs.

basically the rule of thumb is give any body part at least 48 hours to recover, that way you give it apt time to grow.

I also train my abs everyother day, just because thats what i do.

and after I complete 2 weeks of this training then I switch it up to training chest and abs day 1 then just back day 2, this is a serious back day, then full arms day 3 and so on.

It seems to work for me, keeping my body guessing, and I never do 2 of the same workout, I always switch the order of exersises around.

And I throw in 30 to 45 min of cardio, usually on the eliptical daily, I wish I could run like all of you, but alas I cannot

I am totally addicted to working out too.

I was going to the gym six days a week, but when I got a diffferent job I had to tone it down to five days. At first this absolutely killed me, but I've actually been having much better workouts because I've had more rest. So for me at least right now it's more about the quality of my workouts,and not the quantity.

Rest days are a good idea. At least one per week, in my opinion, maybe two, depending on how long you've been training and how well you eat. It does no good (in fact, it does negative good, i.e. it's bad) to work yourself to death exercising and then not allow your body rest time to regenerate, especially if you've only been training a short time, or your body is not used to exercising a lot.

If you're more advanced, eat properly, sleep well, don't drink alcohol or coffee, then you can get away with training 6-7 days a week and still recover from the work outs. But working out, without proper recovery, is doing only harm to your body. The reason working out is good is because of the recovery that happens afterward.

Yes, working out is very taxing to the body. You are upping your metabolism, which means that their are many free radicals that are produced (byproducts of metabolic pathways). You need to balance counteracting those free radicals, or they will scavenge your body. You need to optimize your body's own natural defenses to these free radicals (vitamins and minerals for the enzymes to do their thing, rest - time for them to do their thing, and help them along to do their thing with antioxidants).

You also have to know that when you are taxing your body with intense exercise, you are producing micro tears in your muscle tissue, and those need to be repaired before you begin again. If not, inflammation will set in to try and manage the damage (which is an influx of fluid to not only clean up the debris - broken cells/tissue, but try to get more molecules into the site to repair the damage by opening up the area's blood vessels and surrounding tissue cells. This is what causes the swelling - which can be noticeable or not noticeable).

And if your muscles are already taxed, and you decide to lift a certain heavy weight a certain way, the muscle might give out on you: injury prone. Your immune system comes into play with inflammation too. So you might be prone to getting sick, as your immune system is busy with the inflammation, and those darn viruses and bacteria were able to set up shop in your body and thrive as a result.

BBers: Anabolic state vs catabolic state.

I'd say working out - in the gym - every day is bad. Training every day is not.

I don't think there is a problem in running every day in itself.

If you combine weights with running though, I wouldn't also run on the same days you are going the gym.

ditto

Body by design is meant to be active and not sit on our behinds all day.

That being said, GROWTH is in the RECOVERY. Weight training is so good for your body, but a 48 hour rest before working that group again is a must for growth. I personally recommend working the group only once per week. Cardio is also very important for your health. I would not recommend cardio on the same days, if that is an option (since you are working out daily, it seems that is the case).

I would also recommend on your "off day", to switch it up. If you weight train for 3 days, and run for three days (alternating), on your "rest day" do another sport, biking, kayaking, rugby, racket ball, swimming, hiking etc.... switch it up and have a good time with it.

ditto

Hey - where have you been?

If you weight train for 3 days, and run for three days (alternating)

That's what I normally aim for, 3 days gym and 4 days running. I don't beat myself up if I miss a day, i.e I'm travelling this afternoon/evening so won't be training today. Won't do me any harm. Even when I only train a couple of times a week - due to illness, injury, tiredness, commitments - that's no problem as it doesn't occur that often and it's a good thing to ease up every now and again.

It can't be good to exercise day in, day out relentlessly; even if you're varying the sport or the training program within the same sport.

So I didn't step foot in a gym yesterday just to see how it would affect my performance & I felt awful all day long yesterday and today until I went, but once I got there I ran about 10 minutes more than I can usually stand & overall, I just had more energy..

I don't know if it was just me being excited about getting back in there or if my body was just glad to get some rest for a day, but I'm definitely gonna work in a rest day or 2 every week from now on..It was a very inspiring gym day & I think I'm gonna start getting serious about weight training certain body parts instead of being so sporadic about the whole thing (maybe start a journal as well)..