How often do you get sick...and from what?

GRardB

Ugh...I regret to admit/reveal to everyone that I'm sick. It's the first time in almost two years. I always told my non-vegetarian friends to eat vegetarian/vegan in order to prevent sickness. Now I'm sick. I hate this.

I think it happened because I live in NJ (NY metropolitan area) and we recently had some CRAZY rain, which I got caught in with jean shorts that I wore (wet, not by choice) for HOURS. I'd say I had them on and they stayed wet for about 7 or more hours. The only thing I'm confused about is that it took about 2-3 days for me to get hit by whatever I have.

Also, the sickness seems to not be very serious, just annoying. Every day I got a new symptom and lost the last one. First day, I had a sore throat. Next day, I had a congested nose. Next day (today), I was coughing in the morning, and now I have no voice (I'm not coughing now). No fever, no chills, no signs of weakness (heh, I benched 10lbs more than my bodyweight and did 10 behind-the-neck pullups today as a test).

So, any thoughts? How often do you guys get sick, if ever, and from what? Does everyone get sick at some point, regardless of how healthy they are, or did I slip up?

I'm not too happy about this. I feel like I've been defeated by a virus lol. Oh well, hopefully in 2 years I can boast again about not being sick for 2 years.

Gerard

I get sick really sick about twice a year, and its usually because of allergies causing a sinus infection.

horrid stuff I say.

Im sick right now and I think it was stress that caused it, my wife, ma and step dad was sick, and I was around em, but normally that wouldnt bother me, but I was so stressed about shoulder and money that I got ill

I got sick last year after getting drenched in the rain -- just like you did! It was awful!!

A couple weeks ago I also got sick from stress and lack of proper nutrition. I think I'm allergic to wheat too because it seems everytime I eat something containing wheat, I get a migraine, gas, bloating, and sometimes even a stomachache. It appears I'm sick most of the time but it's just allergies lol.

Can't remember. I can remember having a runny nose on occasion after a soy product binge or that time I ate tons of Organic Sugar and puked. But that's not really being sick more then a bodily reaction.

I'd say I haven't been seriously sick in almost 5-10 years. Not even the flu/cold.

I really only get sick when

A) I eat garbage, and

B) Allergies attack and I don't take something

If it seems like sort of a standard cold, I'd say diet is key. Was there something you'd been eating and then just randomly skipped for a few days? I've gotten sick from doing that before, and literally the day after putting the right food back in my system, cold is gone. I don't think any supplement can substitute the benefits from eating natural, fresh, whole foods.

I haven't gotten sick in the 13 months since going vegan. Whenever I feel myself starting to get sick, I do 3 things:

1. Get LOTS of sleep

2. Eat LOTS of fruits and veggies

3. Take an Airborne (or the store brand version)

I wish I could've gotten rid of my sickness that easily lol. I didn't even feel it coming (it happened overnight). I don't like taking pills though

Can't remember. I can remember having a runny nose on occasion after a soy product binge or that time I ate tons of Organic Sugar and puked. But that's not really being sick more then a bodily reaction.

I'd say I haven't been seriously sick in almost 5-10 years. Not even the flu/cold.

5-10 years?? O_O That's a long time (a long range too, though, lmao). Congratulations to you. I wonder if I could've gotten that high if I wasn't wet for so long :-\

I really only get sick when

A) I eat garbage, and

B) Allergies attack and I don't take something

If it seems like sort of a standard cold, I'd say diet is key. Was there something you'd been eating and then just randomly skipped for a few days? I've gotten sick from doing that before, and literally the day after putting the right food back in my system, cold is gone. I don't think any supplement can substitute the benefits from eating natural, fresh, whole foods.

Nah, I think I got sick because of the rain. My diet is pretty similar from day to day. I've ate nothing but healthy food when I got sick and it didn't go away very fast. It was strange. It seemed like instead of a sickness that lasted 2 days like a normal one would, but with harsh symptoms, my body spread out the symptoms over like 5 days. I didn't like it though lol.

I've been sick 2 times since I went vegan 2 years ago. Both times it was a mildly sore ear and throat (probably allergies). It starts off like it's going to be something significant, then can't ever get a strong hold on me: no fever, no misssed workouts, just low level until it fades out. I'll be 48 in Dec BTW. When I put my biostats in a longevity calculator, it says I should live past 100.

My 2 children, aged 9 and 11, are also vegans. Last year, the younger boy got sick for a few hours and missed a day of school. That's the only illness for either of them in over 2 years. My vegan wife hasn't missed a day of work in almost 2 years; she's 45. For all practical purposes, our whole 4 person vegan household does not get sick.

never, and from nothing ! ... no I'm exagerating. Except a runny nose because of wheat and soy I guess, I usually get sick only once per year, for 2-4 days... every year without exception. Instead of the colds a few times per year like most people, I get a huge flu, but very painful, not just the small symptoms, it's on the whole body, I call it "muscular flu" I don't know what's the official term but it hurts in very single cell of the body, even eyes, hair and teeth. But especially in the muscles. Just lying on bed is painful and it's hard to sleep, almost impossible to go to work.

I almost never get really sick. I think the last time was about three or four years ago when I had a severe case of bronchitis or maybe pneumonia that knocked me out for a couple weeks. At the time, about half of the people who worked in the building where I worked were out sick with some sort of respiratory infection. (and that was pre-vegan for me, I think)

Since then, I'll sometimes get a few symptoms, usually a scratchy throat or headache or muscle aches, if I haven't been eating and sleeping right or if I've been exposed to dust or sick people. It's all mild, never incapacitating, and it goes away in a day or so.

I read somewhere that it may be good for the immune system to get a workout once in a while and that we may occasionally become ill for that purpose. Kind of like a little fire drill for the body to exercise the immune system and make sure everything runs smoothly.. Makes sense to me, although I'd prefer not to get sick ever. If I can find where I read it, I'll post a link.

Like most on here its rare I get sick.But I don't however attribute veganism with being immune to disease, although of course it makes a huge difference.

I get the feeling that certain strains of diseases are just too potent for any immune system & I think at some point we will all pick up thee things, its just natural I guess.

Did you know that many of the deadliest diseases in human history evolved from human proximity to livestock? Influenza, which killed 50 million people in the 1918 pandemic and threatens billions more today, evolved from poultry farming; smallpox, which wiped out tens of millions of indigenous people in colonial times, evolved from cattle farming. Most food poisoning, like e coli and Listeria, are also effects of livestock agriculture. Last time I got really sick I was living with a bunch of omnis in a coop and got bad food poisoning.

Did you know that many of the deadliest diseases in human history evolved from human proximity to livestock? Influenza, which killed 50 million people in the 1918 pandemic and threatens billions more today, evolved from poultry farming; smallpox, which wiped out tens of millions of indigenous people in colonial times, evolved from cattle farming. Most food poisoning, like e coli and Listeria, are also effects of livestock agriculture. Last time I got really sick I was living with a bunch of omnis in a coop and got bad food poisoning.

That's true and I would like to extend this to the notion of externalities when there are consequences (positive or negative) on third parties who are not involved in an economic transaction.

Concerning the meat industry they are only negative consequences. And I want to extend this not only to economy but to health, etc...:

-Ethic: The animals slaughtered don't chose to be involved in this, yet they are the base of all this, but they don't receive any money, on the contrary they pay the price with their lives.

-Environment: the planet Earth never said she agreed to participate in this killing but she pays the price too with the pollution of water, air, land, forests are being vandalized.

-The trees are being cut down to become pasture. All the animals that were in those forests don't have any place to live.

-Economy:

-State subsidies to support a mode of production deficient debt that the worker, consumer, business, government, and society as a whole). Those who choose to stay away from meat still suffer from a price increase of all the food due to the almost limitless quantities of grain wasted in the livestock.

-We also pay state taxes and federal taxes so the government give billions in subsidies to farmers and ranchers to support a weak mode of production based on waste

-Health : what you said. The contaminations and infections. We drink the water polluted by the manures and wash our food with it. Humans are paying the price by a decrease of air quality that we breathe, and so on, the consequences are endless in the life cycle because everything is linked.

Good people have always picked up the bill of bad people, thats been the nature of our existince from day one & will continue to be that way until we are in a position to either force people to be good (ie not kill animals) or persuade people to be good & not kill animals.

Sick .... lets see I think I am starting to figure out how not to get colds. The first thing is first.

Rest is important

reducing daily stress

and avoiding public environments... and washing your hands if you have been in that environment. EX bus

we all pretty much know that.

My girlfriend and i litteraly road 4 hours in a car with two cold infected individuals who got the cold from LA and we are in D.C. so that knocks the chance that we have already encountered it. Then hung out at the event ate dinner and road 4 hours home. I really was 22 hours up with out sleep which would have weekend my immune system. I just pounded those greens.

My girlfriend and I never got the cold.

The moment I found out that they were sick I began to eat veggies. Specially as many greens as you can. I avoided eating to much acid forming foods and stuck to mainly raw greens. Including wheat grass.

We completely avoided sugary drinks, chocolate or anything that would have had a lot of sugar.

After understanding body acid alkaline balance I am starting to think that had a lot to do with it.

Avoid sugar like the plague when your sick and chowdown those greens. That will atleast reduce the time you are sick if you are already sick.