Trying to move

threeloaves

I'll try to keep this brief. Im in need of a drastic change. I've wasted the last 8+ years of my life working a meaningless job that has seriously taxed my mental and physical well being. I despise having to wake up every day knowing that I'm condemned to 8 hours of brainless multitasking, and idiot conditioning. I feel like I have to do something now, or I'll end up a lifer at this place. I know, boo hoo, right.

Unless you aspire to be a neurosurgeon - in my opinion - school is a scam, and far too expensive. I had a go at some college, and went to art school for a year, but didn't finish either. So, money being the issue I thought I should save up, and try to move somewhere. But, I have no idea where to begin. Everyone keeps telling me

"just go for it - book a flight, and split". What about income, a place to live, what if I hate it, etc.

Basically, I'm just looking for some input on how to get things rolling.

Well, do you have some idea of what you want to do? What interests you, inspires you?

Booking a flight and splitting probably isn't the best idea if you don't have any savings.... but if you decide what path you want to pursue, at least for a time.... save enough to live on for a few months and GO! America has so many great places. Who do you want to be around? What energy do you want in your life? What would you DO if you knew you would succeed?

I understand the hesitation, though. I'm currently considering moving across the country and starting a new career, and it's nerve wracking!

But life is too short to be miserable. Decide, and go!

But life is too short to be miserable. Decide, and go!

Exactly. I'de love to work in animation, cartooning, or comics. Anything along those lines. I've done web/graphic design for years so I guess that could also be an option.

I'm also very interested in coffee. I've taken a few barista training courses. Ideally, I'd like to work in a coffee shop, and also be able to make art, stay fit, and not be totally miserable. Seems like Portland or somewhere out west would be well suited for that.

Well, why not save enough for 2 months rent and such, decide what city you'd like to experience for the next few years, find a temp. roomie on craig's list, go there, apply for coffee shop barista positions (definitely not too hard to find!!), and just MAKE your art! Post it on YouTube, start a blog, develop and nurture a fan base. In the meantime, you'll be happy, fit and makin' fancy coffees!!

Sounds easy enough to me......

Portland does sound like a good fit for you. Coffee coffee everywhere!!! I don't know how good the job market is for your interests, but usually doing something you truly love and making good money at it is pretty tough for most (including me) anywhere you go. I came out here, sight unseen, from the east coast almost 9 years ago. It was the change I was looking for. So I say...GO!!! Even if it's not here, just go. Save a little, and go.

At least you'd have the Portland board folks to keep you company.

If you have the option to pick up and move somewhere - I say go for it!!! Save a couple months rent and just book the flight. I'm tied down so it's not as easy for me - I'll live vicariously through you.

I did the school thing and finished, but I really don't believe in what it is that I do... don't get me wrong - it's challenging and rewarding work, but my heart is elsewhere. Sadly, this is a fairly recent phenomenon in lots of places. Before our "time of plenty", people basically accepted that role in life and made the best of it. At least today we can question this and possibly do something about it. Best to notice what you've noticed now, and not 20 years down the road!

Best of luck

Can't offer much in the way of advice based on my own experience of taking off from my comfort zone (still here, so there is no experience to speak of ), but I will say this -

If you've been miserable for 8 years doing what you do/being where you're at, then by all means, make change your top priority. Life's too freakin' short to hate every day because you're trapped in the same old situation. It may take some time to build up the funds to make a good move where you won't be financially strapped when you relocate (I've known a few people who weren't prepared for the expense and regretted going as soon as they did), but just keep at it, set a time frame and when you get things set, take off and start fresh. If I recall correctly, I chimed in on one of your other threads regarding college (at least, I THINK it was you that had started it), and I definitely made it known that I don't think that higher education is necessary to get ahead and do what you love. Don't let anyone sweat you too much about going back and finishing school and that sort of thing - if it doesn't interest you, don't do it, simple as that. A degree is by no means a guarantee of happiness (or, even a job that you won't hate), so I wouldn't even worry about that. Chase what will make you happy, and you will be happier than you say you are now.

My best friend I grew up with, who lived here in Milwaukee, got sick of his rut after being passed over for promotion at work for years and realizing that he just wasn't happy here any longer. So, he saved up for a year and put about 4k in the bank, packed everything he had in his car and drove to Miami and never looked back. No job offer, no plans, just took off with enough cash in hand so that he'd be able to make ends meet for a few months until he knew where he'd end up. Says it was the best decision he ever made - the thing is, he didn't move upward in his career when he got there (swapped retail management for inspecting fire safety systems), but the change of weather, people, and everything about his routine made him appreciate things more and he's not the crabby jerk that he appeared to be while living here. All it took was for him to make a change of scenery and be in a place that he thought looked good, and he's had his happiest 7 years of his life since that time. When I ask him about comig back, he says that even though he misses his family and friends from time to time, he wouldn't trade his current state for anything, so it goes to show that for some people, a severe shaking of the bag can be a good thing.

Just be sure to prepare adequately for the journey ahead and I'm sure you're going to feel great once you change things up in the future!

Can't offer much in the way of advice based on my own experience of taking off from my comfort zone (still here, so there is no experience to speak of ), but I will say this -

If you've been miserable for 8 years doing what you do/being where you're at, then by all means, make change your top priority. Life's too freakin' short to hate every day because you're trapped in the same old situation. It may take some time to build up the funds to make a good move where you won't be financially strapped when you relocate (I've known a few people who weren't prepared for the expense and regretted going as soon as they did), but just keep at it, set a time frame and when you get things set, take off and start fresh. If I recall correctly, I chimed in on one of your other threads regarding college (at least, I THINK it was you that had started it), and I definitely made it known that I don't think that higher education is necessary to get ahead and do what you love. Don't let anyone sweat you too much about going back and finishing school and that sort of thing - if it doesn't interest you, don't do it, simple as that. A degree is by no means a guarantee of happiness (or, even a job that you won't hate), so I wouldn't even worry about that. Chase what will make you happy, and you will be happier than you say you are now.

My best friend I grew up with, who lived here in Milwaukee, got sick of his rut after being passed over for promotion at work for years and realizing that he just wasn't happy here any longer. So, he saved up for a year and put about 4k in the bank, packed everything he had in his car and drove to Miami and never looked back. No job offer, no plans, just took off with enough cash in hand so that he'd be able to make ends meet for a few months until he knew where he'd end up. Says it was the best decision he ever made - the thing is, he didn't move upward in his career when he got there (swapped retail management for inspecting fire safety systems), but the change of weather, people, and everything about his routine made him appreciate things more and he's not the crabby jerk that he appeared to be while living here. All it took was for him to make a change of scenery and be in a place that he thought looked good, and he's had his happiest 7 years of his life since that time. When I ask him about comig back, he says that even though he misses his family and friends from time to time, he wouldn't trade his current state for anything, so it goes to show that for some people, a severe shaking of the bag can be a good thing.

Just be sure to prepare adequately for the journey ahead and I'm sure you're going to feel great once you change things up in the future!

Thanks mate. After hearing these sort of things I become more confident that I can stop thinking about this, and make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...