is running incompatible with trying to gain muscles??

francesca

I am trying to gain 4-5 kgs(about 11 lbs).. I therefore bagan eat much more, lift weights and reduce my cardio activity, which now consists in only 10 minutes for the heating+ lift weights and at the end 20 minutes of cardio activity at 60-70% of BPM( I lift weights 3 times x week)

My instrucotor in the gym said that I shouldn't do aerobic activity and if I do it I should keep the above indicated heart rate

The problem is that I have always practiced cardio activity (intense such as rowing, spinning, running) and I cannot stay away from it. I need to at least run

I read an interesting article of someone called Thibaudeau(some trainer maybe american or canadian,, I don't remember) who instead claimed that a 15 minutes INTENSE run can bring muscles and help you gain lean weight(practiced for no more than twice a week). Intense Running would make you lose the "fat" given by the hyper caloric diet you are following to gain weight, thus helping you to gain weight.Plus, it would build muscles on your legs)

An example is 90 seconds jog+30 sec. sprint repeated 6 times

In Italy almost every BB affirms that who wants to build muscles must NOT RUN

What is the general opinion in the US?

p.s.

I AM NOT a BB. I only wish to gain weight as much "clean" as possible

I'm pretty sure that running will help burn fat, but also make you losee some muscle. If you are eating healthy, you wouldn't need too much cardio except before workouts to get warmed up.

Though I could be wrong, that's what I think is correct.

In my experience, I've never been able to mix cardio up with weight training. I'm not sure if it's my body type in particular, or whether this is more general but, whenever I did cardio and trained, I was never able to add any mass. I made that mistake for years - i figured it was genetics. But that was eons ago...

A friend of mine told me to cut the cardio for about a month or so, and then start mixing things up again. I thought I'd give it a try.

Results: In about 6 weeks, with some heavy and intense training, I put on 8-10lbs of lean muscle. I couldn't believe it! I went from 140lbs to 150lbs.

After I hit 150 I started up with cardio again and managed not to lose any of the weight (muscle) I put on during that time.

I'm now at 155 with 6-7% body fat, looking to get up to around 165-170 by the end of the year (170 is my upper, upper limit because it'll impact triathlon performance - and I have a weak knee from running). I'll likely get there by cutting out cardio for 3-4 weeks at a time, and then incorporate cardio back in... repeating until I hit my target weight.

Cheers!

~ John

Yeah, when I was marathon training I never EVER had any problems getting bigger and stronger legs... it was just the rest of me that wouldn't get any larger! Cutting out the cardio allowed me to put on the weight and muscle i needed... then i just picked up cardio again once i hit my target weight. I swear by this method... it's worked for me!

~ John

Results: In about 6 weeks, with some heavy and intense training, I put on 8-10lbs of lean muscle. I couldn't believe it! I went from 140lbs to 150lbs.

8-10 leabs of LEAN muscle on only 6 weeks?Are you sure it was all lean??

Ehm...I wrote"heating" instead of "warm up"... excuse my English...

If you are eating healthy, you wouldn't need too much cardio except before workouts to get warmed up.

I would like to keep on running(at least 40 min slow pace, or 20 min. of INTENSE running) because it makes me feel good, not because I need to burn fat(by the way, I am eating very "clean" so what you said is correct. It's just that I am an hyperactive and to lift weights does not make me feel like I do after a good run

I also think that marathoning WILL not make you gain wait.

The only cardio I would not want to give up is 40 minutes at 60-70% heart rate(which I also find kind of borig but it's better than nothing) or a 15-20 minutes INTENSE run(plus a 5 minutes warm up, of course) no more than twice a week

Edited by francesca

I'm really curious about this too. I weight train, and run three times a week. I continue to get stronger legs, and a more defined look due to the running. It has helped me squat a lot heavier too. I have not seen a decrease in my muscles either.

Uhmmm,... How is your basal metabolism? Maybe it depends from that. Mine is pretty fast, plus having always practised intense cardio activity I guess it became even faster

And yet cardio exercise is one of the heavily recommended activities to keep the heart strong and increase longevity, etc.

Once again, a situation where BBing isn't necessarily the best choice for the body. Ah such is vanity, no?

cardio is fine, and necessary to burn the fat.

But RUNNING is often too high intensity of an activity to build or keep alot of lean muscle mass, in my opinion and that of my trainers.

American Football players running backs, linebackers, safetys do a lot of running and they're still muscular. This isn't a scientific anaylsis just an observation.

I can't speak to what kind of training they do, but during a game they don't just run, they sprint. That's quite a bit different from any endurance running.

American Football players running backs, linebackers, safetys do a lot of running and they're still muscular. This isn't a scientific anaylsis just an observation.

I can't speak to what kind of training they do, but during a game they don't just run, they sprint. That's quite a bit different from any endurance running.

Yeah, during the game. In practice they probably do a combo of H.I.I.T. Tabata Method, and endurance running as in miles. I used to watch football practice in high school when I had soccer practice and the football players did wind sprints as well as longer distance running. In high school football players play both sides of the ball offensive and defense. I have friends who played Divison I soccer in college and they ran 10 miles a day along with wind sprints, etc... A soccer game is like a football game, lots of short sprints, quick burst. My friends who played soccer were pretty ripped when they were younger.

Re: is running incompatible with trying to gain muscles??

In my opinion...yes.

Most football players, sprinters, and many swimmers, cyclists, and various other athletes--even quite a few basketball players, about whom the stereotype is that they're skinny--are quite muscular despite doing a lot of cardio in the course of their particular sport or in training for it. For example, basketball player LeBron James--holy mackerel, there's an athlete who's built! There's no incompatibility at all between running or other intense cardio (and swimming or biking can be just as intense as running) and building muscle. You just have to eat enough calories to give your muscles a chance to grow.

My 2 cents:

I do 20 minutes of hi-intensity intervals twice a week, and lift 5-6 times per 2 weeks (only 25 minutes per session of super high-intensity). I've been gaining about a pound a month of muscle with this method (and it definitely pumps my quads and calves). I did have to increase my nut consumption to increase weight;I was eating exclusively fruit and greens.

Francesca...

just a final word. you said that your Trainer in your gym suggested low intensity cardio ONLY.

you said that you had only done running (high intensity cardio) in the past....

My suggestion is that you try his/her method for awhile and see if you get some better results.

This thread is inundated with people giving examples of how people have built muscle in spite of running.... Yes, yes, yes... you can build muscle if you run....

but one of the most effective ways to PRESERVE THE MUSCLE YOU HAVE is to keep the intensity low. There is a saying, "do what you've always done... get what you've always got".

All I know is at one time I was jogging 2 hours a day, and the minute my trainer demanded I stop running is when I got the sculpted, chiseled, cut look I was shooting for.

So yes... you can build muscle and still run... but you may want to try out his suggestion, stop running for awhile and see if you can add those 6 pounds of muscle you are trying to acheive FASTER.

Francesca...

just a final word. you said that your Trainer in your gym suggested low intensity cardio ONLY.

My suggestion is that you try his/her method for awhile and see if you get some better results.

This thread is inundated with people giving examples of how people have built muscle in spite of running.... Yes, yes, yes... you can build muscle if you run....

but one of the most effective ways to PRESERVE THE MUSCLE YOU HAVE is to keep the intensity low. There is a saying, "do what you've always done... get what you've always got".

All I know is at one time I was jogging 2 hours a day, and the minute my trainer demanded I stop running is when I got the sculpted, chiseled, cut look I was shooting for.

So yes... you can build muscle and still run... but you may want to try out his suggestion, stop running for awhile and see if you can add those 6 pounds of muscle you are trying to acheive FASTER.

what you said is correct, but I need to do cardio activity.It makes me feel too good for me to give it up. I was looking for a compromise, if there is one

Francesca...

what you said is correct, but I need to do cardio activity.It makes me feel too good for me to give it up. I was looking for a compromise, if there is one

I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't do cardio. I was suggesting you try your trainers advice of doing LOW intensity cardio for awhile at the 60 - 70% THR as he suggested instead of running.