Are you on Caffeine?

Allantgy

I've recently cut back on my coffee from every day to once or twice per week, max. I feel like it was wearing me down and suppressing my immune system, and if I want to work out 6 days a week, I'm already putting my body through a lot (not to mention it's a lot harder to stay hydrated when you're drinking coffee!).

I don't think it's healthy but I take some. The nocivity and toxicity varies from what source and depends on the quantity. I drink, not everyday, and sometimes never for months, some green tea, less often, other stimulants like ginkgo biloba or yerba mate, hawtorne (I know the names in French but not sure in English).

Today, pseudo-nutritionists dare to say that coffee (therefore caffeeine) and chocolate are good for health, full of anti-oxydants. BS. Hollywwod stars are Starbuck's junkies who can't move or think without their cups of coffee...

I left a comment on this article : http://gliving.tv/bodydesign/coffee-percolated-perks/

I drink coffee every day. I don't worry about it, because I figure the rest od my diet is pretty good. Not perfect, but at least good! Of course it's sort of become an essential part of my morning, as I have to wake up at 4 am to get to work by 445 am. I'm not even going to say how many cups I have, lol.

I really enjoy yerba mate. It seems to have different effects than coffee, even when the amount of caffeine is comparable. It makes me feel awesome. Something about the combination of moderate amounts of caffeine, chlorophyll and amino acids adds up to equal awesomeness. I'm sipping on some right now.

Caffeine can be a dual-edged sword. It is a proven performance enhancer, but when overused it definitely does bring you down. So I cycle it-- a couple days off each week, and take a week break every few months. Also I use adrenal support like maca and schisandra to keep its deleterious effects to a minimum. But even so, I've never noticed any negative effects from yerba mate like I did with coffee and tea.

There's also guarana powder. All these increase stamina by nervous stimulation, but it's never true energy. Also we can definitely say that this effect may have harmful consequences on the neurons when it is regular and abusive use.

Cigarettes also stimulates.

The key is don't use it at all, or like PMvegan said, cycle it, not everyday, take breaks, it will be more efficient as a boost, and will be less harmful to the organism.

If some nutritionnists say that coffee and tea helps to fight cancers and stuff because of the antioxydants, I really doubt that many vitamins survive in a cup of boiling water, even your own hand will almost die. Cells affected by drugs can become tumors though.

Oh boy

Well I love coffee, but I know that the amounts of caffeine are up to the sky, so now I drink barley coffee, is really good and it doesnt have caffeine. I think in Japan is called Barley Tea.

I also like tea, black tea, oolong tea, green tea and yerba mate. Isnt really that healthy? Everyday I take two cups of tea, one with the breakfast and one with the lunch. Usually black in the morning and green in the afternoon.

Why so many people say that caffeine is not good even in small amounts?

Why so many people say that caffeine is not good even in small amounts?

But you know caffeine is a drug right ? how can a drug be good for the organism. Even love can be an harmful drug (lol).

-Besides, we cannot say that coffee is good for health in small quantity despite the harmfulness of caffeine, because :

-an healthy food is not something that we must reduce to the minimum

-a food is not harmful and it provides energy

-for the reasons above, coffee is not good and not even a food

I don't want to make the war against coffee, tea, ect. I love green tea. And I loved coffee and strong espressos when I was addicted to it. And when I want to lose weight, green tea is my best friend, ice tea with a bit of fruit juice.

I'm just saying caffeine is not good for our organism, unfortunately. Inject pure caffeine to rats and they will die of heart attacks. That's the effect of a poison. Give some vitamin C to a rat and he'll be fine. There was a guy that adviced to drink a few gallons of green tea each day and that was the secret to longevity. I don't think he showed any scientific proof to that, of course. Japanese don't live old and healthy because of tea, it is because of a ton of other factors, like : not a lot of animal products, but rice, soy, veggies. Low calorie, low fat diet. Usually moderation in everything, not too much drinking and smoking. No physical activity that are too intense. But a lifestyle that is just enough active. etc.

But the fact that Japanese drink lots of tea and still live old shows that caffeine is not SO harmful. But it doesn't mean neither it is good for health.

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day and I love it. In Portland there's a locally owned microroaster that uses fair trade coffee. It's smooth, dark, bittersweet, organic perfection. I go on and off of caffeine. When I'm on, I try to drink that, yum yum.

Thanks for this reminder, IYM, I need it. If I'm following you correctly, I don't agree with your logic about injecting caffeine/vit C into rats. First of all, some of the decently grounded protest over animal experimentation is based on the fact that while many organisms have much in common, test animals are not humans. They don't have the same physiology as we do in many (not all) important ways. Like, vitamin D is toxic to rodents in much smaller doses than it is to humans. Another reason is that no humans, well not very many, are injecting straight caffeine into their veins. Although now that I have that idea, hmmmmm, it could make my work days more energy filled.

When I am at work I slam red bull like its water.

When its winter I trade the bull for tons of coffee.

But when I am not working I dont drink any caffeine.

No reason, just dont.

It could be good for me, bad for me, I couldnt care.

I know what it does to the body, I aint worried.

Just cant stay awake at work is all

I regularly drink coffee... usually a 20oz cup in the morning on weekdays and two on weekends. I've gone through periods where I've given caffeine up for a few weeks, convinced that it was bad for me because of being a stimulant, but when I was abstaining I didn't notice any significant difference in wakefulness. It does affect my mood a bit, but I don't notice any harmful after effects.

I drink it now because I like the taste. Go ahead and say it's just a crack-like addiction to caffeine. Maybe there's some truth to that, but there are definitely types of coffee I like vs. ones I won't drink. And I won't sub in tea or soda in the morning if there's no good coffee around.

In the spring and summer I'll often have green tea in the afternoon, primarily because it seems to greatly reduce my allergy/hayfever headaches. Not sure if it's the caffeine drug that's doing that, but I appreciate it.

Yes, I think large amounts of caffeine are harmful, mostly because it'll frazzle your nervous system. Having a small amount a day doesn't pose any real risk that I'm aware of, everything I've heard is weak speculation at best.

Can we please stop referring to animal experimentation just for the hell of it. If there's some actual scientific study that someone wants to post about that used rats, fine, we can take that for what it's worth. This is a vegan board, and believe it or not some of us take offense to off-hand comments about injecting shit into rats. I'm not going to use expressions like "kill two birds with one stone" please stop shooting off unneeded references to animal experimentation.

Can we please stop referring to animal experimentation just for the hell of it. If there's some actual scientific study that someone wants to post about that used rats, fine, we can take that for what it's worth. This is a vegan board, and believe it or not some of us take offense to off-hand comments about injecting shit into rats. I'm not going to use expressions like "kill two birds with one stone" please stop shooting off unneeded references to animal experimentation.

This is becoming really common now. Ive heard vegans advocating for the results in "The china study", and I always think, ...arent you a vegan because of the animals? The entire "China study" is based on rat experimentation...

a poison is a poison for rats, humans, giraffe, whatever. A poison in high dose is still a poison in small dose; it doesn't miraculously become good, it's still harmful, but less. Today, we see all poisons as good substances : coffee, tea, chocolate, salt, sugar, wine, medecine. All medecine are made in laboratories out of poisonous plants. Researchers look for the most dangerous rare plants in Amazonia rainforests and make poisons to fight other poisons and they combine this with another poison to counter the effect of the first one, etc... The more a plant is a powerful poison, the best medecine we consider it to be... while fruits and greens can cure everything except maybe the venom of a snake. I drink green tea but I'll never say it's good out of bad faith.

The entire "China study" is based on rat experimentation...

even though it bothers me too that they used rats in their experiments i think that's exaggerating

Allright allright... not the entire study... but the most interesting and informative parts of the book always have an study on rats.

i drink coffee everyday, but usually only in the afternoon before track practice. Often i drink green tea or coffee after wards for energy for my homework.

During the summer when i was running half marathons every other day, i would drink a pound a day.

straight and black, no additives.

I've read the caffeine leads to loss in calcium (sort of like animal protein I guess?) Regardless, I'll never drink coffee (or not regularly) in my life. Same with alcohol. I just don't believe it's good for you. I don't drink tea either. I think it's overrated and most people brag about how healthy their tea is, even when they add tablespoon after tablespoon of sugar, or even milk, etc. in it.

Water is the only thing I drink Soy milk for cereal, though.