My fruit/Raw experience and questions

I haven't posted in a few months(I've been busy. Moved back to California). But I've remained inthusiastic about health and food. I've been having fun eating melons, mangos, bananas, and finding which stores have what(also organic and good prices)

I didn't want the summer to go by without doing a big fruit + raw diet which I'm on now. But 1st, some background:

Vegan for 14 years

60% raw for 12 years

No junk food for 9 years.

I've done many fasts, and 3-day fruit diets.

For the last 18 days I've been 97% raw; 100% raw for the last 11 days. In the middle of it, I wen't 4 days with only fruit.(I've done 3 days many times in the last 12 years.)

I've had no detox symptoms or tiredness, and didn't lose any weight like with previous fruit diets. So I guess I'm really clean. And in the last 2 years, I have no body odor or bad breath.

On day 6 I had some veggies and bean sprouts, and the next day I was tired. I had some GED tests coming up, so I figured the only way to be alert for them was to go back to fruit. The tiredness went away and I got 95% in Math, 99% in reading.

A few days later I started with veggies again, and now I'm tired and irritable. I do these fruit diets to feel better, but after, I feel worse.

Is it still worth doing, since I don't need a detox?

Should I just find a balance(maybe 85% raw) and stay with that?(I don't want to stay 100% raw, but I respect people who are)

after going back to veggies, beans, ect, does the tiredness last longer if you've been eating only fruit longer?

Hy!

It is hard to tell what is the problem, because you did not tell much about the meals you eat.

The tiredness could be caused by bad combinations, or bad foods.

What kind of veggies were those?

Do not eat to much bean sprouts, rather green sprouts, mix them with other greens.

Eat the fruits mono. I reccomend 80%fruit and 20%greens diet, if you want to eat seeds or nuts, then only 5%(I do not eat any)

Do not use oils, seasonings, salt and keep your fat intake down.

If you could specify your meals then it would be easier to figure it out the problem.

I hope we can help you,

by the way I am 100% raw for two months now, fruit based.

keep it up!

Seems to me, if you don't want to be 100% raw then you should accept that you are choosing a suboptimal diet and should expect some detrimental consequences. No animal on the planet eats cooked food except for some humans. From one perspective, cooking food is just a way to eat foods, like grains and legumes, that we are not biologically suited to eat-if you doubt this, try eating wheat berries or kidney beans without cooking them. If your going to knowingly put stuff in your body that doesn't belong there, what can you expect? You already know you feel and perform great eating just fruits and greens, so do yourself and the planet a favor and stay raw.

Seems to me, if you don't want to be 100% raw then you should accept that you are choosing a suboptimal diet and should expect some detrimental consequences.

Dude, let's get one thing straight here. There is no science in the world that proofs a raw food diet to be optimal. So saying that another diet is suboptimal is bullshit.

Yesterday I wasn't tired, and while exercising, I made progress with a physical problem I have.

Yesterday was rawesome!

Today: I'm not sore from my bigger than usual workout. We'll see how my energy is today.

(most people here aren't 100%. I don't think it's all or nothing. I think it's all good.)

Balazs - I haven't done anything you said to not do.

I had raw carrots and lettuce coming off the 4 days of fruit. The next meal was raw yam and cauliflower. These are common raw foods for me.

I've been drinking a little herb tea. But I don't think the problem is specific foods. This always happens when I re-introduce heavier foods. Isn't that common?

Here's a pic of my kitchen yesterday

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/G7711/Picture015-1-1.jpg

There is a mountain of scientific evidence that proves raw fruitarian diets are optimal. We can debate it if you think your up to it? If you can't backup your opinions with quality arguments though, please don't waste my time. The sophmoric "bullshit" doesn't do anything for me.

Anyone who switches from a fruitarian diet to one loaded with starches like carrots and yams is going to notice the difference; starches, combined with cellulose, are far more difficult to digest than fruit and will definitely slow down your metabolism. In addition to a loss of energy as the sugars can't reach your cells as readily, you should start having a fair amount of gas since cellulose encapsulated starches like roots, particularly raw, are very difficult to digest. Since they sit in the stomach and intestines so long they ferment creating alcohol that kills off your intestinal flora and creating gas, also backing up the fruit sugars that also begin fermenting. In order to protect themselves from the sharp insoluble fibers in the starches, the intestines also line themselves with mucus which reduces nutrient uptake.

I've read "Superior Nutrition" by Shelton, and perhaps it's the kind of diet you would like to stick with. He suggest to eat natural, organic, raw products : fruits, greens and nuts. Shelled, raw nuts. Don't cut everything in small pieces; for instance, cut the lettuce in half it's enough. Fruits for breakfast. A green salad at lunch and dinner, w/ fats or proteins (obey the food combining rules). You can add some cooked veggies.

There is a mountain of scientific evidence that proves raw fruitarian diets are optimal. We can debate it if you think your up to it? If you can't backup your opinions with quality arguments though, please don't waste my time. The sophmoric "bullshit" doesn't do anything for me.

Can I please see this mountain of evidence! I would really like to because I've tried finding scientific studies done on raw food diets but I've fallen short every time. Whenever you try finding something on the internet on raw food there's always just a hippie talking about enzymes and shit. So please provide the evidence so I can read through it and then we can have a debate. I'm really looking forward to discussing raw food on scientific grounds since we've never done it before.

Can I please see this mountain of evidence! I would really like to because I've tried finding scientific studies done on raw food diets but I've fallen short every time. Whenever you try finding something on the internet on raw food there's always just a hippie talking about enzymes and shit. So please provide the evidence so I can read through it and then we can have a debate. I'm really looking forward to discussing raw food on scientific grounds since we've never done it before.

I'd like to get in on that debate too .

You made the claims, now you back it up. Remember it is not up to us to debunk it but for you to prove it.

Here we go again!

My favorite part of these debates is when someone ventures off into the world of high colonics, intestinal flora and intestinal mucus. Can we just start with these? Please?

Don't you know there's nothing more purifying than having a tube shoved up your ass and spraying out poop that will come out on its own anyway?

Here we go again!

My favorite part of these debates is when someone ventures off into the world of high colonics, intestinal flora and intestinal mucus. Can we just start with these? Please?

Don't you know there's nothing more purifying than having a tube shoved up your ass and spraying out poop that will come out on its own anyway?

Thats between you and someone special

Day 23 of 98% raw

When I say tired, I only mean 5 hours a day. I've also noticed I'm sleeping 45 minutes longer than usual. And I've had some muscle aches that last half a day. Everything else is the best ever though.

No one's answered my original questions yet.

It seems like you've over trained maybe? That's why you're tired. Remember you're also still in detox mode. And you'll feel drained and warn out. You'll go through mixed emotions like am I doing this diet right ? Why do I feel like this ? Or one day you'll feel just awesome. Don't let anyone else tell you that you're doing something wrong. You eventually learn on what you're body is telling you. Do your research and experiment with raw foods. Test yourself and seek an adventure with your diet. Have fun eating as much fruits, vegetables and salads.

For future have you thought about a Colon Hydrotherapy?

Ask Lean and Green, Rawkev and Andesume about their experience with it.

Hey, I warned that it was life or death!!!

People are FASCINATED with stool! It amazes me. I think they would all get over it if they would work in a gastroenterology office for a bit. It's like now that the earth has been proven to actually be a sphere, there are those who need new frontiers. How convenient that they are able to develop theories about something they can "study" in their own bathrooms!!!

I actually had a colonic about 10 years ago. I was raw back when I was 14 and I read all of the hype about it. I was on vacation, I had a little bit of extra money and there was a hydrotherapy clinic nearby so I figured "why not".

It was very pleasurable. I read afterwards online that the anus and colon has a LOT of nerve endings.

Anyway, only one stool about the size of dime came out. No pounds and pounds of long dead poop.

I was eating my typical cooked food, whole grain & legume based diet back then. In other words, the fiber from my diet kept me clean. No colonics necessary.

Day 23 of 98% raw

When I say tired, I only mean 5 hours a day. I've also noticed I'm sleeping 45 minutes longer than usual. And I've had some muscle aches that last half a day. Everything else is the best ever though.

No one's answered my original questions yet.

I get like that when I do not get enough to eat. I also get like that when I don't get all of the nutrients I need.

I have said it before it is all about energy with food. In my opinion raw food is for when you want a thinner connection to this reality not a stronger. That is my opinion though from a philosophical standpoint and one of experience.

In my experience New World Vegan I did notice a difference in the fuel I was using to run my body much like going from a high octane to a lower octane when switching back to cooked foods. Is your goal in eating raw for detox only? What do you do when not eating seeing as how you probably spend time doing other things more often? What kind of training are you currently undertaking during this change of diet?

Raw fruit is the ultimate energy source which is why marathoners eat it and don't eat potatoes or beef jerky or protein powder. Only monosacharrides (sugar) can be oxidized, to release energy, in the cells; EVERYTHING else has to be converted to sugar, itself an energy intensive process, before burning. You want energy, mountains of raw fruit is the way to go.

Probably the most common complaint I hear from Vanilla Vegans is that they're "tired" all the time. I even know a few who went back to omni because they convinced themselves that they needed more protein. They're tired because most Vanilla Vegans are on largely starch based diets: grains, roots, and legumes-all polysacharrides. The body has to expend substantial energy just to convert polysacharrides into monosacharrides for circulation and oxidation, and because almost no starches can be eaten raw or without condiments, the body simultaneously has to eliminate heavy fats like Earth Balance and Olive Oil and cooking byproducts like denatured (and undigestable) proteins and so on.

Body cleanliness and energy conversion are closely related; a dirty engine can never produce as much power as a clean one!