Judo Gold Medalist Satoshi Ishii Challenges Fedor Emelianenk

veganmomma

I don't intend to be hating on judo, I like judo, but it's hard to think that someone from a strictly judo background would be able to be as effective as they are in a judo fight in an MMA fight. It's a lot harder to take someone down when they can throw strikes and aren't necessarily going to just let you grapple with them.

"Punch a Brazilian Ju Jitsu black belt in the face and he becomes a brown belt" famous MMA quote.

Im assuming its the same for a judo guy with no MMA experience, Fedor is a lil overrated P4P imo, but still prolly the best heavyweight in the world. Fedor by whatever he chooses in round1 >.>

Thats not to say in a couple of years this guy couldnt be a force, these judo dudes do seem to have that crazy retard strength that wrestlers get after years of throwing someone around.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd have to agree with you guys. there are judo practitioners who successfully make the transition to MMA, like Karo Parysian and Hidehiko Yoshida (himself an olympic gold medalist). and if this was strictly a judo match, i would definitely give him a solid chance. but with no MMA experience, i would not put this guy as a favorite against Fedor. i don't see why he would immediately want to fight the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world anyways. he should test the MMA waters with a few fights before requesting a title shot. there plenty of worthy competitors for him.