Best Dead lifts without grip aid

Yeah that's what i did today(over under grip) 365 is really heavy on my grip, but not so much on my back. I just have to get my grip caught up and no more using hooks or wraps becasue that's not a true lift. I could have maybe gotten up 385, but i thought i'd give it a week or two before i try that.

Best full deadlift is 545 with chalk only, as well as 500x3, 405x10 and 335x23 (which was done on a 2" thick bark, which killed my hands for days afterward).

Best short-range deadlift (from just above kneecap to lockout) with chalk only was 855x3, but I only held the bar for perhaps 2-3 seconds on each rep.

Best thing you can do if you want to improve grip for deadlift is -

1. Never use straps, chalk only for grip aid and that's it.

2. Work on static holds with the bar loaded to above-max deadlift weight. For example, in the power rack, have the bar set so that when you grab it, there's only maybe 2-3" to rise before you're at the finish position for a standard deadlift. Load that bar heavy, grab it (no straps, only chalk at most), lift that little bit and hold as long as you can. Aim for getting 30-60 seconds with your max deadlift weight to start, then pile on more weight over time and work to get some 10-20 second holds with 100+ lbs. more than you can deadlift off of the floor. When you can hold, say, 500 lbs. for 30 seconds for 3 sets at the end of your workout, you'll find that when you eventually go for the lift from the floor, you're not going to have any problems keeping the bar in your hands.

Hope this helps!

Wow your a strong guy. Isn't that about world class for a non juicer? I usally wear weight lifting gloves when lifting. That's a good idea about loading up with heavy weights and holding it. Should i use a over under grip for that? Will both my hands develope the same if i'm allways doing over under grip the same way?

Wow your a strong guy. Isn't that about world class for a non juicer? I usally wear weight lifting gloves when lifting. That's a good idea about loading up with heavy weights and holding it. Should i use a over under grip for that? Will both my hands develope the same if i'm allways doing over under grip the same way?

Thanks for the compliment, but I was definitely far from world class at my best numbers. I've met guys who are clean and can deadlift 700+ lbs., but they're not all that common, for sure.

I never used gloves because they made it harder to hold on to things - just a bit of chalk rubbed into my hands to keep my grip dry and that was all I've used. For holds with a heavy bar, it depends on how you plan on gripping for your regular deadlifts. Doing double overhand (the normal way to grab a bar, both hands over with palms facing back toward yourself) is by far the harder way to hold on without straps. Some guys are freaks and can hold massive amounts of weight that way, but it is definitely the most taxing on the grip. There is another trick with double overhand called hook gripping, which is used mostly by olympic lifters. Basically, you start your grip on the bar by wrapping your thumbs around the bar first, then you grip over with the rest of your fingers, aiming to get the index and middle finger wrapped over the thumb which will lock you into the bar a bit better. It hurts like hell at first, but after a handful of sessions it gets easier. Never used it for anything over 500, but it did get a 400 lb. 1-arm deadlift to just above knee height once, so I can say that it definitely works.

Otherwise, mixed grip (one hand overhand, one hand underhand grip) is the way to go. It prevents the bar from rotating out of your hands, and will be the best way for most people to keep a secure grip.

Or, mix things up, and do some holds double overhand, some with mixed grip. Your hands should pretty well get stronger at the same time, but if you find that one hand lets loose before the other every time you do them, then you'll know which hand is weaker and will need a bit more work to bring it up. Hope this helps!

I've done 550lbs for 6 reps, alternating mixed grip.

Getting back up towards that now, did 540lbs for 3 two days ago but used straps for reps 2 and 3.

I'm a sweep rower which puts slightly uneven load on the back - if I'm feeling any back soreness (usually down one side) before deadlifting I use straps to keep me aligned straight. Actually gripping the bar isn't too hard, I've used farmers walk handles with over 300lbs per hand without grip trouble.

I've done 550lbs for 6 reps, alternating mixed grip.

Getting back up towards that now, did 540lbs for 3 two days ago but used straps for reps 2 and 3.

I'm a sweep rower which puts slightly uneven load on the back - if I'm feeling any back soreness (usually down one side) before deadlifting I use straps to keep me aligned straight. Actually gripping the bar isn't too hard, I've used farmers walk handles with over 300lbs per hand without grip trouble.

That's crazy! Whats your height and weight? Usally when i watch strong men like WSM it seems there grips give out before every thing else

Today i allmost got up 405 without grips. Not going to try it again until i can do 315 10 times at a pretty fast pace. I did 315 5 times, so i should be up to 10 by mid oct at the latest

That's crazy! Whats your height and weight? Usally when i watch strong men like WSM it seems there grips give out before every thing else

Today i allmost got up 405 without grips. Not going to try it again until i can do 315 10 times at a pretty fast pace. I did 315 5 times, so i should be up to 10 by mid oct at the latest

I'm 6ft, 210lbs or so.

The strongmen tend to do short-range deadlifts with lots of weight, so grip will be stressed. Plus if you know a deadlift is not going to go you tend to let it go, meaning it can look like the grip has failed. You don't want to be fighting a deadlift as it's going down, no points for that.

I think the vast majority of people will be able to handle more with mixed grip than they can deadlift from the floor, unless they don't know how to grip the bar.

PS Going from 5 to 10 reps is a significant increase in strength - 1RM calculators give about 60lbs increase in max when going from 315x5 to 315x10. Mid October is only a couple of deadlift sessions away...

• 3 weeks later...

That's a crazy amount of weight. Is that without wraps or any thing? I got up 315 8 times today with out aid. I bet i could get up 405 now. My squat is ahead of my dead lift for the lack of training i've been doing. I did 315 2X full squat . My legs improve faster than another else so i'll be up to 405 in no time. I could easily do 405 now with the way most people squat, but i would rather go lighter and do full squats.

I missed an attempt with 606lbs yesterday Got it to the knees but it stalled and died.

Back to the drawing board I suppose, hopefully nail it within the next month or so.

That's still pretty damned impressive, I must say. I bet Joni over at VF is jealous that you're on the verge of being the first to break the 600 mark, eh?

Hopefully there'll be a day again next year where I can get in on a pull like that! Now, the next question is, where's your squat at these days?

Solid improvement Couture - you'll nail that 315x10 soon. Good luck with the squatting.

Ryan - I reckon Joni will put a brave face on things, talk about "good to see vegans getting stronger" and so on

My squat is well behind the deadlift, but on the up. Squatting 200kg recently, hopefully can add another 5 or 10kg to that in the near future. Your squat is not in danger, still a long, long way to go (Joni's is safe for now too). I did overtake you on bench recently, but your overhead strength is well ahead of mine.

Swings and roundabouts

(I do have half an eye on your total though, maybe for early next year...)