Exercises that are easy on the knees???

VeganDeVil

Hey all, I've got a bum knee. I've been an avid spinner for years, but it has taken it's toll on my right knee. Simply walking has been uncomfortable lately....

But I don't want to stop being active.....

What can I do that doesn't put any pressure or strain on my knees?

I've heard swimming, although I'm not a very good swimmer!! Yoga? Mat pilates? Jumping rope? (I mean.... you're not bending your knees when you jump rope, or do jumping jacks, right? Right? )

I thought I'd be able to get on the Elliptical, but the doc said 'no' for a month or so. Isn't it supposed to be the most low-impact cardio machine there is? (Obviously I won't ignore my doctor's advice, but I'd still like to hear other people's thoughts and experiences).

Any suggestions?

I've heard swimming, although I'm not a very good swimmer!!

Swimming is about the only thing that comes to mind that puts no strain on your knees. And If you're not a very good swimmer that's ok, since you most likely will become a good swimmer if you do it enough (I'm not much of a swimmer either so I'm just guessing that's how it goes )

you can also do strengthening exercises for the muscles around your knees. they will pick up the slack and help with any pain that you may be having. one exercise that i like to do is to tie an exercise band around both thighs just above the knees walk side to side in a halfway squat position. i don't know a better way to explain it. the exercise works the hamstrings and the quads. you can also tie the band above the ankles and walk the same way. if your knee is bothering you that much though, i'd go see a doctor if i were you to make sure you can do any exercises like that just yet. but always say yes to physical therapy and NO to surgery. i hope this helps

p.s. maybe you can find an example online of the exercise that i'm talking about, i have yet to find one. i forget what it's called.

you can also do strengthening exercises for the muscles around your knees. they will pick up the slack and help with any pain that you may be having. one exercise that i like to do is to tie an exercise band around both thighs just above the knees walk side to side in a halfway squat position. i don't know a better way to explain it. the exercise works the hamstrings and the quads. you can also tie the band above the ankles and walk the same way. if your knee is bothering you that much though, i'd go see a doctor if i were you to make sure you can do any exercises like that just yet. but always say yes to physical therapy and NO to surgery. i hope this helps

p.s. maybe you can find an example online of the exercise that i'm talking about, i have yet to find one. i forget what it's called.

I actually know what you're talking about, I've seen it illustrated in fitness magazines before.

Yeah, I think strengthening my leg muscles will help. For now, I'm trying to enjoy the time off.... and the knee is getting better every day!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have knee issues as well, but I find I struggle with swimming. Not only am I really bad at it, but the instability of kicking in the water (my legs sort of "wobble") puts a lot of strain on my knees and they often ache afterwards. I've had a lot of success with eliptical machines so maybe after your month of rest you can give them a try (but take it easy at first to get a feel for it!). I've heard that people hurt themselves by holding onto the handles instead of swinging their arms freely because it puts a lot of strain on your body, so something to keep in mind.

Aqua fitness classes were always fun, I could do those, but I caught a lot of odd stares from the other participants for being a "healthy young person" instead of old or pregnant .