US Presidential debate

hsorlando

I'm with you there! I haven't listened to a Presidential debate, or voted for either major-party candidate for President, since 1992 (voted for Nader in '96, 2000, and '04, and will vote for Green Party candidate Cynthia McKinney this year).

There are a few issues such as abortion rights where in my opinion Democrats are preferable, but almost all major-party politicians, at least at the federal level, are tools of the big corporations. They don't deserve the support of people who care about the environment, peace, human and animal rights, or the fact that our economy is going down the tubes thanks to the deregulatory madness of both parties.

There's a funny commercial by Nader's campaign on YouTube (at

) where an imaginary three-way debate is portrayed. It's two minutes' worth of Obama and McCain saying exactly the same thing on a variety of issues, and then Nader saying things like "We need to get out of Iraq and cut the bloated, wasteful military budget" and "the most impeachable President in history should be impeached!" Things no major-party candidate would say, of course.

I don't care what either of the forked-tongue fascists have to say. I'm listening to vegan hip hop!

I've donated money to Obama and may even volunteer for him. I thought he got creamed in that debate.

McCain made some harsh charges and it looked to me like he didn't adequately defend himself. There were a lot of fair places and ways he could have attacked McCain and did not. It also looked like he let McCain take charge of the debate and it looked like Obama was following McCains lead.

My opinion is that liberals are going to see the debate through forgiving eyes for Obama( and right wingers vice-vers ). The prize last night was the swing voters.

I hope the people who are saying Obama did very well are right and I am off.

8 years of Bush, McCain and the rest of republicans was enough. We need a change of government.

If for nothing else I think the war in Iraq was unnecessary. Yes, we are there NOW so it matters how we leave it, but they said last night that the cost so far was 600 billion dollars. This wall street bailout is 700 billion. Imagine if Bush never spent that 600 billion.

BW, I thought Obama spent a lot of time re-directing McCain to the questions/topics and explaining things so that viewers would understand. McCain went off on so many tangents and avoided so many topics, it was ridiculous. Obama had a much better grasp on the wide view of things and appeared much more intelligent.

The only thing that I will say about the two candidates is that whatever people think about them, one of these two senators will inevitably be the next President, and I believe that Barck Obama is definitely a much better choice than Mccain. I also think he chose wisely when he chose his running mate. It also doesn't hurt that I grew up in DE, and know a bit already liked Joe Biden!

Edited by hsorlando

McCain made some harsh charges and it looked to me like he didn't adequately defend himself. There were a lot of fair places and ways he could have attacked McCain and did not. It also looked like he let McCain take charge of the debate and it looked like Obama was following McCains lead.
I agree BW. Obama needs to get more angry, be more aggressive and attack McCain more. Obama comes off as too nice. McCain came off as more confident, more aggressive, and more "presidential." The later will win over swing voters. Also, McCain's campaign has done an effective job creating the perception that Obama is naive and "rogue state" friendly.

I'm confident that Binden will kick Palin's ass during the VP debate next week after seeing her in interviews on 20/20 and with Katie Couric. I hope this comment isn't perceived as sexist, however Gov. Palin comes off like a dumb blonde beauty pagent contestant when answering difficult questions. She's a female Dan Quale. Palin comes off as dumb as George W. Bush. The VP debate won't have that much of an effect on voters IMO. Dan Quale was a dumbass and "W's" father still won in 1988. Then again Mike Dukacus wasn't a strong canidate. The percentage of US presidents who've died while in office is rare excluding assassinations.

Me and my friend watched it from the gym. She made it longer than me, I couldn't stand to listen to either one of those manipulative liars. I'm feeling pretty bitter that for so long, we've heard from both parties, things like our country doesn't have enough money to (research alternative fuels adequately, insure good health care for everybody, give our soldiers decent body armor, provide working psychiatric care for soldiers returning with PTSD, have free university available to everybody, give decent educations to kids in poor school districts, etc etc, etc anything having to do with money) but all of a sudden we can front billions and billions of dollars to bankers because they need more money after ripping what they could out of our pockets.

I got so ed watching them, that I left the treadmill and went to lift extra weight. So I blame both guys for interfering with my quest to do 2 hours of cardio per day. Curse them.

I'll vote for Obama only because he won't try to destroy reproductive rights the way Mccain/Palin will, and also because he doesn't believe dinosaurs and people walked the earth the same time.

I don't care what either of the forked-tongue fascists have to say. I'm listening to vegan hip hop!

Next time, me too!

Edited by vivalasvegans

I actually really like McCain and Obama, but I agree with Obama on just about every issue.

Basically, the format and Jim Leher allowed both candidates to fairly successfully and accurately get across their thinking on the issues. Neither candidate made major gaffes, and both made solid performances, in my opinion. Therefore, I think if you were for one candidate before the debate, you probably won't have your mind changed. So, I think beforewisdom is right, that what swing voters think is really what counts. So far, it seems Obama scored a sizeable "win" with swing voters:

There are already some numbers coming in measuring perceptions about who “won” tonight’s presidential debate. To start, CBS News polled 500 uncommitted voters and found:

* 40% thought Obama won, 22% thought McCain won, and the rest thought it was a draw

* 46% said their opinion of Obama got better tonight

* 68% think Obama would make the right decisions about the economy, compared to 42% for John McCain

* 55% think McCain would make the right decisions about Iraq, compared to 49% for Obama

MediaCurves held a focus group, and while Democrats and Republicans broke along party lines, independents gave the edge to Obama on every segment:

* 61% of independents said Obama won, compared to 39% for McCain (”tie” wasn’t given as an option)

* Independents rated the segment on Russia as Obama’s best, giving him the edge 66.7% to 33.3%

* Independents rated the segment on government spending as Obama’s worst, giving him the edge over McCain 53.4% to 46.6%

http://themoderatevoice.com/at-tmv/newsweek-blogitics/23002/early-post-debate-polls-suggest-obama-won/

Both of them said a whole lot of nothing.

I'm afraid the best we can expect from Obama is another Jimmy Carter.

McCain would essentially be a third Bush term.

Regardless of which one ends up winning, America loses.

Meh.

What is a "Jimmy Carter"?

Can you list 5 things President Carter did to make him "a Jimmy Carter"?

Can you list that Senator Obama has done those same 5 specific things too?

I'm talking about specific actions and specific policy stances, not generalizations.

Both of them said a whole lot of nothing.

I'm afraid the best we can expect from Obama is another Jimmy Carter.

McCain would essentially be a third Bush term.

Regardless of which one ends up winning, America loses.

Meh.

What is a "Jimmy Carter"?

Can you list 5 things President Carter did to make him "a Jimmy Carter"?

Can you list that Senator Obama has done those same 5 specific things too?

I'm talking about specific actions and specific policy stances, not generalizations.

I wasn't referring to specific policy stances. More along the lines of being a one term president, who will be seen as almost completely ineffectual at best.

Whoever wins is going to be stuck cleaning up the enormous mess the Bush regime is leaving us with, and I seriously doubt Obama's got the capability to do that.

I wasn't referring to specific policy stances. More along the lines of being a one term president, who will be seen as almost completely ineffectual at best.

No offense, I've heard that term used before. I was guessing that it was a nebulous generalization.

and I seriously doubt Obama's got the capability to do that.

Can you list facts to help me understand why you think that or is it just a "feeling"?

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't watch Debate #2 but I'm reading a bit about it. It sounds like it was close but that Obama won the debate and continues to pull ahead.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/07/cnn-poll-obama-won-the-night/#more-23387

Both canidates just repeated what they've already said during the first debate and during the campaign. It was boring. I believe there will be a third debate, however I doubt I will watch it.