Uneven burn/soreness, no matter what

GRardB

I posted a similar post a while back, and thought I fixed it, but I didn't

Here's the thing: It seems like no matter what exercise I do, and no matter what muscle group, my right side is always burning more or more sore than my left. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. The weird thing is that it even happens on exercises where I'm using dumbbells instead of barbells, like curls and tricep extensions.

Another thing I've noticed that might shed some light on this problem is that when I place my palms together and push them against each other (like an isometric pec fly?) my right pec feels tighter than my left, even though they're flexed the same amount. There was also once that I was jogging, and the next day my right thies were more sore than my left (huh??). Does this mean the right side of my body is tighter or gets sore more easily than my left for some reason other than an uneven distribution of workload? I'm a righty, so this is why I'm confused.

Lots of people say that soreness isn't an indication of how hard you worked, which is why I'm not extremely afraid about this. I just want to know why this may be happning.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Gerard

As you said, you are a righty! You might be putting more effort to get that right arm up, with the left just trying to get up there. Also when you work out, you might be using the two the same, but if you do extra work after you go home/done with working out, this could make it more sore. And that would be easy to do since you are a righty. In other words, you worked both the right and left muscle the same, but went on and did more work with the right arm.

The jogging thing is also something I noticed. My right foot would get all the injuries, while the left food would be fine. I then noticed that the path I jog on is slopped a little downward at the sides (to let the rain run off it instead of pooling into puddles). Since I do what everybody does, and jog on the right hand side of the path (now I go in the middle!), both there and back, my right foot is a little lower and thus has to push off higher, and has a slight angle while coming down. Also the right leg is the first to be used when jumping over anything in your way, or moving from your straight path.

Our bodies are naturally a bit uneven, and just by going about your day, one side will work harder than the other. For some people, it's more noticeable than others... and something you will continually have to work on and be aware of.

My theory is that your right side is simply tighter---keep exercising and cooling down/stretching as you are, but try adding extra stretching time before and after your workout on just that side for a few weeks, and see if the soreness stops or subsists.

Asymmetry is pretty normal. That's why bbing shows take it into account, because it takes some good training to fix a 5mm difference in volume (at least for me lol).

Something that has worked for me is to use higher weight in the weakest side when using dumbbells and the like. I've got some serious stuff to fix: my left leg is overall bigger than the right one (the left one also gets all the injuries); my right bicep is bigger but the left shoulder is also; the right pec is bigger while the left trap is bigger. It sounds like I have some little issues to fix... It also means that when I'm working out I get the pump in the biggest muscle but it's partner gets exhausted prety quickly.

Again, what I've done is try to use more weight in the smallest one and now I'm getting a bit even. Good look for you with that!