Coconut Oil good or bad?

RAINRA

Lot of people will say good others will say bad for you.

I spoke to a nutritionist who said it was actually great because it was not a long chain fatty acid.

What do you know? Does it have a good smoke point?

Is there good credible evidence for or against its use?

When I was walking around today I started thinking about the whole coconut oil hype so thanks for asking the question Rainra and thanks for the link DV.

I have a follow up question. One of the bad things about frying food in vegetable oils is that trans fatty acids are formed, right? Is this true for coconut oil too? Since it's almost only sat fats little to no trans fats should be formed if I've understand this issue correctly.

Despite the "common" knowledge about that one (I've also heard it many times), I had a difficult time finding any believable sources. Here is a link that discusses what happens when you heat olive oil at high temperatures.

Here is a link that gives the different smoking points for oils. I've heard that free radicals can be produced when an oil is heated to smoking. I'm not sure if it's true, but I always throw it away and start again if this happens. I'm not sure if the coconut smoking point in that link is for refined or unfiltered oil, but I would think it's for refined.