Total Cereal adequate vitamin supplement?

vvginovv

Hello, I am a real vegan newb, just trying to gather some sort of meal plan/supplementation advice.

My biggest fear about this stuff are the potential deficiencies.

It seems like Total Raisin Bran (w/soy milk) is too good to be true. 100% of pretty much everything?

I guess the drawbacks are the amount of added sugars and because its processed, its scary?

Is there a difference between this and a vitamin supplement? Is it any better or worse?

Perhaps the body absorbs it less adequately?

thanks

Sorry, vvginovv. We've had a recent flurry of spam and usually they don't introduce themselves in the intro section. I wasn't sure where you were going with this as your first post here and made an assumption.

I don't think most people would consider Total Raisin Bran with soy milk to contain 100% of everything. While some adhere to a strictly whole foods diet, most members here eat some processed foods and don't find them all to be scary, even if they have added sugars.

Since vitamin supplements come in many formulas, I don't believe you can compare vitamins supplements in general with a fortified cereal product. Some people do have digestive problems that hamper their ability to absorb adequate nutrients but a healthy digestive tract can absorb some, if not most nutrients from the foods/supplements ingested.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to post in the intro section!

Has anyone noticed the price on cereal lately? Total gets its "total nutrition" by adding supplements to the wheat or corn flour that is baked into flakes. You can buy those same supplements much more cheaply by getting a bottle of multivitamins.

totally correct

Pun intended?

Darn .... ya totally got me!

Has anyone noticed the price on cereal lately? Total gets its "total nutrition" by adding supplements to the wheat or corn flour that is baked into flakes. You can buy those same supplements much more cheaply by getting a bottle of multivitamins.

Ok, so buy the generic brand and get the best of both worlds? Seems like an easy choice to me...