I'm getting pimples!

I was on this high protein low carb diet that my trainer put me on, which wasn't working for me. So two weeks ago I decided to go back to my high-carb low-protein raw vegan diet... its great, I love it but I am now getting some pimples and I can see more coming up! I guess its probably a sign of detoxification, but its really killing me cause I've always had really good skin and having pimples is making me really concious in public. I drink lots of water and exercise everyday, I know it cannot be avoided... but thought if I could ask how long your detoxification phase lasted on average then I can be mentally prepared on how long I have to suffer through this horrifying pimply phase. And any tips on how reduce pimples would be great! Thanks

Edited by StrawberryJam

Well breakfast is usually a green smoothie (baby spinach with seasonal fruit), lunch is raw bread with salad/avocado/sundried tomatoes/olives/nut+seed pate filling, dinner is simililar to lunch or sometimes a coconut and fruit smoothie. Snacks are usually things like flax crackers with nut+seed pate, fruit, dried fruit or raw nuts. Maybe I am consuming too much fat with all the avocados, olives and nuts and seeds?

You eat too much fats, eat LOT AND LOTS of fruits, and avoid dried fruits, or at least rehydrate them, don't eat more than an avocado or a handful of nuts a day, and eat more greens too, and avoid eating fats and fruits in the same meal, I eat fatty foods at the and of the day as my last meal, and that's only some nuts and seeds, I keep it really low, and it works for me fine

I agree with Chaser.

I completely avoid nuts and seeds, because they cause the same sympthoms for me. I do not eat avocados either, nor coconut.

Eat simple, at least for the re-detox. Mono fruit meals, and greens.

I think you should avoid all fats till the the detox last. I do not know why so hard it is... I am okay with this for months now.

Try it simple.

Good luck, I hope your skin gets better, I can really understand your feelings about it.

When I first went Vegan, my skin broke out like nothing I've ever seen. It took everything in me not to go running for a grilled cheese sandwich!

It took about a month and a half to work itself out of my system. I didn't cut back on fats (although I never have all that many anyway), but I did make some modifications to my diet..... I upped my fruit consumption by a billion. I tried to go to bed hungry and only have fruit the first few hours I was awake...... to aid in bodily detoxification I suppose. It got worse before it got better, but now it's gone. Truly!!

I also tried to be nicer to myself..... I went to bed earlier than usual and 'destressed' as much as I could (breaking out was making me nuts---I didn't want to leave the house).

Good luck! It WILL pass.

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences I'll try that, its going to be a challenge though cause I grew up without eating salads, so to make it enjoyable for me I've gotta add lots of fatty things like avocados, olives, nuts, seeds etc. Should also cut down on thai coconut and coconut oil in smoothies. Why is it fatty foods always taste better?! Guess now I'll just have to train my palette to enjoy the great taste of a clean salad with less of those stuff. I'm also going to try out colon hydrotherapy and see if that speeds up the detoxifying process.

• 4 weeks later...

Raw Success by Matt Monarch states

"I have seen numerous people transition to a 100% raw diet and refuse to do Colonics. Due to the deep cleansing effect of Raw Foods, these individuals frequently run into problems with pimples, rashes, hemorhoids and other bothers. They are mystified and blame the diet. In reality, they are chock-full of waste that is being forced out through the skin, since the colon is not being sufficiently emptied" pg 53

Hope that helps StrawberryJam!

Raw Success by Matt Monarch states

"I have seen numerous people transition to a 100% raw diet and refuse to do Colonics. Due to the deep cleansing effect of Raw Foods, these individuals frequently run into problems with pimples, rashes, hemorhoids and other bothers. They are mystified and blame the diet. In reality, they are chock-full of waste that is being forced out through the skin, since the colon is not being sufficiently emptied" pg 53

Hope that helps StrawberryJam!

I have considered colonics many times.... but it just sounds so awful! Isn't it painful and uncomfortable?