Which protein powder, HEMP or PEA?

DaN

Hey guys,

Which do you think is better?

Hemp: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/organic-hemp-protein/

Pea: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/pea-protein-isolate/

The Pea is half the price, but the cost is not that important to me, I need something that is effective at building muscle, & it needs to replace my soya protein powder, which I have recently become slightly allergic to.

Any advice?

Cheers all!

one quotes from Jon Barron on hemp protein that might leave you more confused to do than before...

As a complete food, hemp seed is great, one of the super foods, but as a protein supplement, less so. As straight ground hemp seed, it is only about 30% protein. Even in concentrated form it will only push to around 50% protein. Also, although the proteins in hemp (edestin and albumin) are great immune builders, they are less effective as muscle builders.

Personally I'd stilll go with the hemp, because of all its other beneficial factors, AS LONG AS you don't combine pea with rice.

On the website I inserted at the top of the thread, they put up a good case for the hemp, mentioning its cold filtered process as being brilliant.Its £20 a tub.

The pea is only £10 but they dont really mention how good it is.I have looked for rice powder to add with it but cant find any.

I guess I might try hemp & pea, having them alternate days?

What do you guys take your hemp or pea powder with?

Water, fruit juice?

Pea Protein alone is more incomplete in its amino acid balance than hemp.

I plugged in the AA profile for the uk pea protein in question and its score is much lower than the trueprotein (TP) gemma isolate, which leaves me scratching my head. If we were comparing AA profiles of TP's Gemma vs TP's Hemp, Gemma blows Hemp out of the water, hands down. I couldn't find an AA profile for myprotien.co.uk's Hemp. Here is the figures for the Pea Protein... seems quite high in sodium:?:

I wouldn't be too worried about combining protein powders to get a complete protein, I would be more concerned in evaluating your daily diet to see if you are getting a balanced amino acid intake by the end of each day.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/custom/704659/2

Thanks Troy, that link may become very useful for me.

I noticed a while back on your diet list you actually mixed a few different powders together.. is that still the case?

I am thinking of buying both the pea & hemp, becasue one of them might be much more tasty than the other.

I normally mix my soya powder with a fruit smoothie... is having it with fruit a good idea? Or should I just use water?

I noticed a while back on your diet list you actually mixed a few different powders together.. is that still the case?

Nope, just gemma nowadays.

I normally mix my soya powder with a fruit smoothie... is having it with fruit a good idea? Or should I just use water?

I think protein is better absorbed with carbs, I have no research or links to back this up, it just makes sense. My gemma smoothies are always mixed with fruit.

Nice one, cheers for the advice.

I have been having fruit smoothies with Soya & its been working well, so now I will try it with both rice for a few weeks, & then the hemp.I doubt there will be much difference but its all a learning curve! Also the tastes might be deciding factor...

I will post on here in a month to say how it all goes!

What about digestion issues?

I was having some post-workout smoothies with about 25 grams of soy, plus fruit, and greens, and somehow I didn't seem to digest it very well. Now I mix about half hemp (8-12 grams) and half hemp (8-12 grams) and sometimes throw in some Vega. I seem to be digesting it a bit better, and my muscles seem a bit fuller.

Has anyone else found that you absorb better when you mix proteins?

Troy: is there any reason you just use gemma? Is it because gemma is fairly good in terms of its amino acid profile while being cheaper than hemp? Or just personal prefrences?

Yeah Bill ,I have been having fruit & soya smoothies, up until recently, when I became intolerant to the soya.

I must admit, digesting it was a joy to start with, then it suddenly went bad for some reason.I will try my new powders with fruit, but if digesting is an issue, I might try them with water or mixed in with like maybe a soup?

I definately am intolerant or allergic to it now.The last 2 times I ate it I had very painful stabbing pains in my stomach for about an hour after.

Its my fault, I was eating way too much, & have made myself allergic.

I now do not eat any one food product alot, & try to vary my sources pf protein as much as possible.

What about digestion issues?

I was having some post-workout smoothies with about 25 grams of soy, plus fruit, and greens, and somehow I didn't seem to digest it very well. Now I mix about half hemp (8-12 grams) and half hemp (8-12 grams) and sometimes throw in some Vega. I seem to be digesting it a bit better, and my muscles seem a bit fuller.

Has anyone else found that you absorb better when you mix proteins?

Troy: is there any reason you just use gemma? Is it because gemma is fairly good in terms of its amino acid profile while being cheaper than hemp? Or just personal prefrences?

Based on what you've just stated, it sounds like you're sensitive to soy. I'm assuming you meant to say that you are now mixing soy and hemp.

That said, I want to say that I've noticed a difference using a protein powder blend, but I luckily don't have digestion issues with any single isolate.

Gemma has a very good protein profile and Troy found it worked best when considered along with his overall diet. If you focus solely on the protein quality of a single shake, you can do better with a 2:1 gemma:rice mix. I find the rice protein also helps the powder dissolve without clumping.

Thanks for the reply chrisjs, and Tasha. I don't think I'm allegric to soy. I love tofu and soy milk, and never have problems with those. I think it is in higher quantaties of the more refined/processed versions (soy protein powders and fake meats) that I seem to have more problems.

Gemma sounds great, but, as far as I know, I'd have to get that shipped in, which costs around $20-30 in shipping, I think.

It is true that heavy consumption of soy can bring about sensitivity/allergy. I just noticed I get a rash in certain parts of my body after I have tofu, TVP or something else with a fair amount of soy in it. Now I'm trying to decrease my intake somewhat (but not eliminate it entirely!).

Yeah Im 90% sure they help alot with building muscle.Before I became intolerant to soy a few weeks ago, I was having one in the morning first thing, & then another before workout, and iwas gaining muscle each week.Since I stopped having those 2 shakes a day, I have been losing strength each week & a little bit of weight.And as the shakes are the only thing different I am pretty sure thats the reason.

Has anybody tried specifically Olympian Labs Pea Protein? When just dissolved in a basic liquid, it seems to leave a creepy film on the insides of any container. Also, I would describe the taste as, again, "creepy weird nauseating taste that is not of this galaxy." It contains Xylitol, "Natural Vanilla Flavor" and Stevia.

Has anybody tried more than one pea protein, including this one? Or does anybody that eats a different pea protein get weirded-out by the consistency and taste? Apologies to anybody who is pro-Olympian Labs.

On a side note, the creepiness disappears if thrown into a blender with water, apple juice and lots of frozen mixed berries... but i'm looking for convenience.